Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GPRS (warning) and what about telnet?

• 24-03-2003 7:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 944 ✭✭✭

Well all I can say is I'm blooming glad I'm still a speakeasy customer and not a pay monthly one with 02. Tried out GPRS today, after looking at these boards last night, and ringing a very helpful man on 1740, and I was surfing away. My balance was 16.90 when I started. So i go and download a webpage, and grand, it downloads. nice and fast. now I know 3kb a sec is extortionate, so I very carefully looked at how much I had sent and received, it was about 30kb, so I check my balance, and wohey it was still 16.90!

So i tried out a few more websites, checking how much I had downloaded, and checking my balance, and it was still the same. I still had 16.90 in my account. So this was great, free mobile internet, woohoo. I'll never have to use eircom again. Then I load another site, and it disconnects me, so I check my balance and it's 0.00. grrr. Be warned, you're balance doesn't go down as you use it, only when you disconnect does it get updated!

And also they charge you for your use in both directions. I topped up my account. I connected again. I sent 4 kb, and received 1kb of data and it costed 15c!

So GPRS is prohibitively expensive for me at least, except for possibly using telnet. Which would only transfer a few 100kb per session. And this would be so handy, I could check my mail, change websites, monitor systems all day long with very little transfer. Cos it's just transferring a bit of text. But all the ports seemed to be blocked. Does anyone know if it is possible to telnet/ssh to websites?

Or does anyone know if it would be possible to set up a HTTP tunnel that goes through the 8080 web port, and allow me use the port 22 and 23 to connect to sites? (perhaps I should post this in net comms).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

Pay as you Go GPRS on both networks is aimed more at WAP users on handsets - rather than heavy Web users with Laptops / PDAs.

Using Speakeasy GPRS for web surfing on a laptop will quickly burn a hole in your pocket (as you've found out!) - it's more suited to smartphone use where the main applications would be email (opt to check headers, rather than download all), chat / messaging and mobile/PDA friendly web browsing (i.e. optomised low-bandwidth sites)

For a heavy GPRS user O2s pay monthly give you a number of different options with inclusive megabytes to choose from - so it's more like 10MB for Eur 25 on a pay monthly GPRS option - I use the GPRS 10 package and find it perfect for Smartphone and PDA use over the month - anyone using a laptop for fill web use would be advised to go for a bigger option (they go up to 50MB per month).

BrianG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Originally posted by nahdoic

So GPRS is prohibitively expensive for me at least, except for possibly using telnet. Which would only transfer a few 100kb per session. And this would be so handy, I could check my mail, change websites, monitor systems all day long with very little transfer. Cos it's just transferring a bit of text. But all the ports seemed to be blocked. Does anyone know if it is possible to telnet/ssh to websites?

Or does anyone know if it would be possible to set up a HTTP tunnel that goes through the 8080 web port, and allow me use the port 22 and 23 to connect to sites? (perhaps I should post this in net comms).

What exactly are you attempting to do ?
    If you telnet to a web server and issue a get on a webpage, that's going to be the same traffic as using a web browser with the images turned off. ( except a hell of a lot more hassle )

On the otherhand, if you find a machine runnnig telnetd or sshd, like redbrick then connect in and try using links. It will probably be less traffic due to less overhead stuff.

Gav

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 944 ✭✭✭nahdoic

i don't want to use the web.

I want to be able to ssh to the likes of redbrick, that's done over port 23, but port 23 is blocked so it's not possible. port 8080 for web access is allowed. how can you connect to port 23 on a remote machine using the only availalbe port 8080 (more of a net comms question).

I was wondering if other people (maybe the pay monthly) are able to telnet or ssh to websites using GPRS. I know you can check mail (is that port 10?). Maybe I don't have my setup properly configured and it is possible to connect straight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

it sounds like you are using a mobile web proxy (port 8080).
    if you use the isp option instead it should work fine

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

SSH is port 22
    Telnet is port 23
    Mail (SMTP) is port 25
    Web (HTTP) is 80

some web proxies run on port 8080

I dint think they were blocking/filtering ports at all....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

been able to connect to ssh and telnet etc. on contract GPRS access point internet

only been using the speakeasy (pre-pay) GPRS access point pp.internet for mail, web and im - just gave it a shot for ssh or telnet and i couldn't get it to connect

BrianG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 944 ✭✭✭nahdoic

cheers DubWireless

so the prepaid is blocking all the ports except mail and web. ah well, there's still plenty of ways around that, just wanted to make sure it wasn't just me :)

Advertisement