Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internet Connection Sharing, the easier way

Options
  • 24-03-2003 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭

How about putting up a sticky detailing methods for broadband (also narrowband) connection sharing?

Ill list a few below:

Method 1: Software sharing

Requirements: 1 PC, 2 LAN cards, 1 bit of software
    Satisfies: from 2-100 additional pc's

Step 1: Connect your DSL/Cable/Wireless modem to your PC via USB/LAN/etc. Set it up as instructed.

Step 2: (skip this and move on to Step 3 if you are already on a LAN) Connect this PC to the LAN (Local Area Network) using an additional NIC (Network Interface Card). If you have not setup a LAN before, you will need to buy a HUB or preferably a SWITCH. You plug additional PCs with network cards into the slots on the hub/switch.

Now you need to give this new network card another IP address. To do so (in winXP) go to start > settings > network places > right click on LAN 2 (or whichever is the new card) > go to TCP/IP properties > enter the following:

for the PC with the connection:

primip.gif

Do this to all the other PCs that will be on the LAN:

secip.gif

Plug these into the hub/switch and make sure the lights go on.

Test that they can see each other by doing the following:

Start > run > "cmd"

type ping 192.168.0.1
    you should get a reply

... try every address from every PC. Your now networked and almost ready to share that broadband goodness.

Step 3:: Download and install WinGate Win Gate (30day trial - not too expensive)

It will detect that there is no connection sharing and set itself up as the server. There is very little configuration. It will generall detect (or u choose) what kind of connection you have.

If you are running ISDN for example you have to input your ISPs number, username and password aswell as dialing rules.

If you run into any trouble there is a step-by-step "how to setup" in the help file.

It has a DNS, DHCP (not essential), POP3 (not essential), SMTP (not essential), and firewall/routing capabilities. Most are on as standard.

Step 4: Install WinGate on the other PCs.

It will autodetect the the server and set it up to run.

Step 5: Setting up windows to use the LAN for the Internet connection.

In internet explorer, go to TOOLS (on the menu bar), INTERNET OPTIONS. Go to the connection Tab.

Click on Lan Settings. Check the Auto-detect settings and use a proxy server. Now click advanced and enter the following.

On the primary PC enter in the following:

primcon.gif

On each other PC enter the following:

seccon.gif

!! restart and your ready to go !!

Please note that Win Gate is not the only software that can do the above, but the easiest, quickest and best that i have found to date.

Method 2: Microsoft Built in connection sharing

coming soon

Method 3: Using a hardware router

coming soon

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I use the built in Microsoft one in XP and its easy.. takes less than a minute to set up.

Only thing i would like is this.. i have 2 PC's at home in different rooms that can connect to the net. My server is the one that shares bit if the other one is on and connected then i cant share it as i cant have 2 systems running as a server at the same time. So have to disconnect that one, and connect mine. Just wondering is there a way around this? I think i could get around it with 98se sharing as i could specify the IP address but not with XP's one, has to be DHCP. Ah well.. its not a big hassle.. when i get broadband it wont matter anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭theciscokid

great tutorial stan , really lets beginners get to grips :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

I normally show the icons for all connections in the taskbar...clearly named

nothing as reassuring as those steady blue lights.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

Originally posted by Saruman
    I use the built in Microsoft one in XP and its easy.. takes less than a minute to set up.

Only thing i would like is this.. i have 2 PC's at home in different rooms that can connect to the net. My server is the one that shares bit if the other one is on and connected then i cant share it as i cant have 2 systems running as a server at the same time. So have to disconnect that one, and connect mine. Just wondering is there a way around this? I think i could get around it with 98se sharing as i could specify the IP address but not with XP's one, has to be DHCP. Ah well.. its not a big hassle.. when i get broadband it wont matter anyway.

I always found the MS one a bit iffy when there is allot of changing going on. Static IP addresses would probably get around it, but it would mean that each pc couldn't share of each other (probably - i have not had this situation), as you are specifying each other pc as the server manually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭theciscokid

I have a question, i know it isn't broadband related, but were on the same subject

okay we set up a internet connection sharing situation for sake of understanding..

pc is set up say thru dial up connection to the net,

second pc is set up so it uses the same connection thru the first pc,

now this is using windows 98 and also 2000 , we tried it both ways,

is there any way to disable the connection made on the client computer apart from a timeout set by the host,

in other words the icon doesn't appear on the client if you wanna disconnect, you have to stop it from the host,

anyone know a simple , legal way of stopping this apart from logging off or rebooting

haven't come across any yet??

any help much appreciated :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

raspppoe is handy if you want a dial on demand DSL connection.

Debatably a security advantage too as you are not online when you dont need to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

I have a question, i know it isn't broadband related, but were on the same subject

okay we set up a internet connection sharing situation for sake of understanding..

pc is set up say thru dial up connection to the net,

second pc is set up so it uses the same connection thru the first pc,

now this is using windows 98 and also 2000 , we tried it both ways,

is there any way to disable the connection made on the client computer apart from a timeout set by the host,

in other words the icon doesn't appear on the client if you wanna disconnect, you have to stop it from the host,

anyone know a simple , legal way of stopping this apart from logging off or rebooting

haven't come across any yet??

any help much appreciated

if you look at the advanced properites for the dial up connection on the server, you should be able to specify an automatic disconnection after a set period of inactivity.

it never sheggin worked for me though, maybe youll be more fortunate!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭phoenix2181

using ics in xp for two other pc's...with a broadband internet connection & a static ip address, will this affect ping times & will it allow all the pcs connect to games servers like barrysworld etc?

Originally posted by phoenix2181
    using ics in xp for two other pc's...with a broadband internet connection & a static ip address, will this affect ping times & will it allow all the pcs connect to games servers like barrysworld etc?

It won't affect ping as the amount of bandwidth used for gaming is nothing compared to the overall capable of your broadband connection (depending what you have). Yes different PCs will be able to connect to gaming servers using ICS. Obviously you will need different CD-keys for the game you want to play on the 2 PCs.

I use wingate for Diablo II, and it shares out my connection to 3 PCs no prob.

I am currently experimenting with hardware routers and i will write the 2 other pieces in a minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Cal

Re: ciscokid's question.
    is there any way to disable the connection made on the client computer apart from a timeout set by the host

What you need is the disconnection utility available free at -

http://www.twiga.ltd.uk/rdu.asp

It works a treat and solves the problem of Microsoft ICS not disconnecting.

• Advertisement

Method 3: Using a hardware router

Requirements: 1 PC, 1 LAN cards, 1 router (i'd recommend the D-Link DSL-504)
    Satisfies: from 2-100 additional pc's (

Step 1: Connect the router. Power it on and connect your main PC to slot 1. The green light should come on. Note you can connect the router to another hub or switch if you want to share to more than the 4 PCs which is due to the router only having 4 slots.

Step 2: Connect the ADSL (phone) cable to the telephone jack.

Step 3: The best way to use the router will be to allow it to setup your network settings itself. This way it makes it easier to administrate if a PC is added or removed. Most routers recommend you use this method, ie DHCP (the term isnt important.)

To do so (in winXP) go to start > settings > network places > right click on LAN 2 (or whichever is the new card) > go to TCP/IP properties. Make sure all the settings there are Obtain an IP address automatically and Obtain a DNS server automatically

Step 4: You will now need to configure the router.

Note: Be sure that the web browser on your computer is not (so if you have WinGate or any other sharing software installed, disable these configured to use a proxy server in the Internet settings. In Windows Internet Explorer, you can check if a proxy server is enabled using the following procedure:
    1. In Windows, click on the START button, go to Settings and choose Control Panel.
    2. In the Control Panel window, double-click on the Internet Options icon.
    3. Click the Connections tab and click on the LAN Settings button.
    4. Verify that the “Use proxy server” option is NOT checked. If it is checked, click in the checked box to deselect the option and click OK.
    Alternatively you can access this Internet Options menu using the Tools pull down menu in Internet

Now launch your web browser (Internet Explorer) and direct it to the IP address of the Router. Type in [url]http://[/url] followed by the default IP address, 192.168.0.1 in the address bar of the browser. The URL in the address bar should read: http://192.168.0.1

A new window will appear and you will be prompted for a user name and password to access the web-based manager. Use the default user name admin and password admin for first time set up. You should change this later.

Note: Do not confuse the user name and password used to access the web-based manager with the ADSL account user name and password needed for PPP connections to access the ISP's network.

Step 5: I will give the quickest way to get it up and running, but you might want to delve into the more advanced options if you are happy doing so.

1. Leave Select Index to set at 1

2. Type in an Item Name in the space provided. Or just use the default name.

3. Do not change the VPI or VCI values. However if you are told to change these by your ISP do so.

4. Select Encapsulation method used for your connection. The options available will be PPPoA VC mux, PPPoA LLC, PPPoE LLC, IPoA VC mux, IPoA LLC, Bridge VC mux or Bridge LLC. The default is PPPoA LLC. If you select an IPoA or Bridge Encapsulation, you will notice some of the variables change. They are described below.

5. These settings must be configured based on the Encapsulation you selected ABOVE.

5.1 If you have selected a PPPoE or PPPoA Encapsulation you must supply a Username and Password. Type these in.

Also select the Authentication method used, pap or chap, choose Enabled for Connect On Demand and leave the Idle Time setting at 0

5.2 If you have selected an IPoA Encapsulation, you must choose whether to enable or disable the IP Unnumbered option. The option is enabled by default. If you are instructed to leave this option enabled, go to step 6. If you are told to disable the IP Unnumbered topion, you must supplu the global IP settings used for you account. In this case type in the IP address and select the Subnet Mask from the drop down menu and go to step 6.

5.3 If you have selected a Bridge Encapsulation, there are no more changes needed to enable the connection for the Router. However , you will probably have to install some sort of connection software on your computer. Go to step 6 and finalise the Router configuration, then install any additional software. Follow the instructions given to you by your ISP or NSP.

6. Click Add button when you have entered all the information. The web browser will briefly go blank. After a few seconds it will show the changes you have made.

Click the Apply button located to the right of the Existing Entry Table. After a few seconds you will be prompted to save the changes and restart. Leave the Save and Restart option and click the OK button. The Router will save the configuration and restart.

You can continue can login to the web manager again and you should see the Router's Connection Status at the bottom of the page. When this indicated the Router is Connected you can access the internet or continue configuration.

Thats all you need to get going aswell as the instructions from whoever is supplying your connection.

!! thats it, restart your PC if it asks you to after step 3 !!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭worded

cool. wingate should give you a medal. wil give it a try.

Advertisement