Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Great cancelled shows

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Lyconix

Originally posted by Fidelis
    Outer Limits. Fantastic stuff in that show. Great actors & plots.

Oh yeah, so it was... I missed most of the episodes, would be nice to find a DVD alright. Let me know if you do track one down :)
    Originally posted by D-Generate
    I also would like to put in a word for New York Undercover which was an excellent T.V show :)

Nasty surprise the way it finished,
    killing off two main characters!
    I read on the net that there was another season after that which seemed to have gotten cancelled halfway through, with new characters, but I don't think that half-season aired over here. I do miss it, truly one of a kind.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,978 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I'd love to know what fate awaited the sliders. All I remember is this:
    They arrived home alright but as soon as they did "Earth prime" was taken over by the Kromags, so they went off sliding again in a search for a weapon to defeat them. On the way, the Professor got killed, Wade got captured by the Kromags, Quinn got trapped in the body of another man. Rembrant was the only original character to make it all the way through. Maybe they eventually found what they were looking for, would love to know

Actually from what I've looked up, it did all just end in tears, no happy resolution. There may be a film though (although the rumours are sketchy at best).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

earth above and beyond

jesus that was great should make a second show of it and it is sad how it ended with all the cast being killed in a somewhat **** way

stargate is comeing to the end of its run (7 good good years) real pitty when that ends only good sic-fi on today thankfuly theirs talk of a new movie and a follow on show :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

Just to point out that I loved DS9, thought it had great characters & bags of atmosphere. Anyways, it was weird when I was watching the last episode of DS9. It didn't quite kick in that there wouldn't be anymore new episodes. Then, when I realised this, I got all emotional! :(

• Advertisement

Originally posted by bizmark
    stargate is comeing to the end of its run (7 good good years) real pitty when that ends

How do you know its coming to an end? At least another season to go as far as I know.
    only good sic-fi on today

Nah. Star Trek: Enterprise is good.
    thankfuly theirs talk of a new movie and a follow on show :D

Maybe it'll end up like Star Trek - having its own universe with more than one show.

Originally posted by Fidelis
    Just to point out that I loved DS9, thought it had great characters & bags of atmosphere. Anyways, it was weird when I was watching the last episode of DS9. It didn't quite kick in that there wouldn't be anymore new episodes. Then, when I realised this, I got all emotional! :(

DS9 took some getting into. The premise didn't sound great - a stationary space station rather than a roaming starship like the Enterprise (although the Defiant did help change that). It did turn out to be good, though... I only started watching it as it was coming to an end, so had plenty of episodes to catch up on :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭flangeman

Space Above and beyond was just about the nearest we got to a series of Starship Troopers. Gawd it was great.

Nowhere Man was fantastic, on a weekly basis if fecked up my mind, never could guess what was going on(that feckin picture)

and of course

Brisco County Junior(Shown on RTE and Sky One), it was going to make Bruce Campbell a star! from what I remember it was shown before the x-files in the states(which was a long shot) and was the networks flagshiop that year.

stargate has been on for 6 years
    as i said in my post WHEN it comes to the end of its 7 year run

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

stargate is comeing to the end of its run (7 good good years)
    Maybe you should have clarified that by 'run', you meant 'series'. By wording it as you did, you series the risk of people misinterpreting you.

• Advertisement

good point:)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

The Others

Currently running on N2 after The X-files Thursdays 01.00?

Only got one series.

Things seem to be running a lot more on profit than on entertainment value these days. Futurama and Family guy are both being cancelled in favour of the simpsons which is long past its sell-by date but still raking in the cash

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

The Outer Limits
    Space above and beyond
    American Gothic was awesome.

Also there was this show I used to watch when I was much younger called Highwayman, or something similar. It was about this guy who had this cool truck that could do some really weird ****. I cant remember it at all that much but I remember what I think was the last show and boy was it odd.

If anyone has any clue...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Also there was this show I used to watch when I was much younger called Highwayman, or something similar. It was about this guy who had this cool truck that could do some really weird ****. I cant remember it at all that much but I remember what I think was the last show and boy was it odd.

The front of the Truck was a helicopter and could be remove leaving the trailer behind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Man eating cow

Im Suprised nobody mentioned Quantum Leap!!!

Has to be one of my fav Sci/fi series :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

Quantum Leap wasn't cancelled, it came to an end. As in it had a proper last episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Originally posted by Elmo
    The front of the Truck was a helicopter and could be remove leaving the trailer behind.

Yes!, finally!

Can you remember the EXACT name?

Must see if I can get it in some form or other...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

Good V.s. Evil!! Kinda corny sometimes, but twas good :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭The Brigadier

Dr. Who.............

Big fan of this.....I'm looking for any tapes to complete my collection if anyone has any as well.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Clintons Cat

Ultraviolet, A government Secret Agency Funded by the Vatican to hunt down Vampires. Very good show staring Jack Davenport of This Life fame.

The Prisoner Absolutely Bonkers Spy Drama just as well they dont bring it back as they would only spoil it (like they did Randall And Hopkirk Deceased)

Blakes 7 Suprised no one mentioned this show
    his,Servalan,Orac,Zen,Villa and Avon probally the best Sci Fi anti hero of all time.

V Ok i had a thing for lizards in hotsuits,Diana *Drool

Saphire and Steel Again completely bonkers and scary to boot.

Buck Rodgers in the 25th century Deserves a mention for casting Gary Coleman as the President of The Earth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭MrGump

It isnt that old, nor was it great but i watched it - Earth 2

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Fetch

Remember Kindred: The Embraced?
    Based on the Vampire RPG .... it started off really bad but the 1st series ended well ... it had real potential
    got cancelled after the lead guy died in a motorbike accident...
    Probably the only decent show Aaron Spelling ever produced...

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Hmmm... okay, I can do the list thing...
    1. Space:1999 - given that this was the BSG era, the fact that the Eagle actually looked like it should (ie, all scaffolding and pressure vessels, no streamlining and wings...), it was probably the best-looking series, even if half the plotlines were ridiculous.
    2. BSG - why can't they just let that god-awful muck DIE?
    3. Total Recall - ah, here's why - the pattern is that any half-way complex show gets cancelled as being too "highbrow" :( Dammit, and Total Recall was good - the series, not the movie, obviously.
    4. American Gothic was a wonderful little anti-morality show but it lost it's way, IMO.
    5. Crusade / B5 - B5 was pretty much a ground-breaking show, but it did take too much time to wrap everything up - can't blame him for that, I had a sentimental attraction to the show as it started when I started college - but the last year dragged a lot. Crusade - oh dear. What daft twat thought that you didn't need a plot for good sci-fi?
    6. Millennium was so-so right up until Frank Black decides that the Mellennium group isn't quite kosher and is in fact a rather nasty cult. Then it got quite good - and was promptly shot down :(
    7. Manimal, Automan, Airwolf, and the rest of the Glen.A.Larson group - why didn't someone break all his fingers after the first awful series he wrote to save us all those horrificly bad plots, 2D characters, love interests with 80's "big hair" and moralising that even G.W.Bush would choke on?
    8. Jerimah - nice idea, well executed, little plot holes made up for by nice little details.
    9. The twilight zone, and both the original and modern Outer Limits series - absolutely excellent and fabulous.
    10. Mystery Science Theatre 3000 - why, oh why don't we get this in Ireland? :(
    11. Space Above & Beyond - looks nice. Meet new aliens and kill them. Bah. Oddly enough, the entire world is apparently american....
    12. The Flash - ah, that was a bit of fun, but in sci-fi terms, it was right down there with Lois and Clark....
    13. Sliders - sortof like what you'd expect if you took all the really bad sci-fi writers and asked them to write individual stories with no arcs and bad characterisation...
    14. Enterprise - pretty good premise, decent execution to the middle of series two and then it lost it's way and meandered - and then the series two finale, which of course, wasn't in any way influenced by september 11th...
    15. Stargate - not too shabby. A cynical pragmatist as a lead character in an american show? You can understand my liking for this show :D Plus, to see MacGuyver wandering about with an MP5 or a P90 is just too nice :D Plus the way that prior shows feed into current shows in a realistic way (ie. technology is introduced and remains in the show, unlike in Star Trek).
    16. Speaking of, MacGuyver - yes, I admit it, I grew up thinking it was pretty cool to be able to construct a heart-lung bypass machine out of tw milk cartons, three feet of copper pipe, two straws and a swiss army knife :D
    17. Starship Troopers got made into an animated series, as did Highlander. Unfortunately in both cases, there could be only one and they weren't it...
    18. The Others - wow, pretty leading lady. Wow, lame plot. Hmmm.
    19. Highwayman - ah yes, the truck that became a helicopter...
      That was about the best part of the series as well. And of course he had other trucker friends whose trucks transfomed into other non-truck vehicles. The last episode, if I remember right, was about a telepathic alien who wanted to send a signal to his friends saying that they ought to invade Earth - and the most interesting thing about the episode was that about 60% of the footage was taken, edited badly, and used as an episode of Nightman where they effectively slotted Nightman into Highwayman's place in the episode. And managed to take a god-awful "SF" episode and actually make it worse.
    20. Ultraviolet was excellent - a real thinking man's Buffy :D
    21. Blakes 7 - the Dr.Who version of Star Trek, excellent stuff after a few pints :) Avon, of course, was a character easily enjoyed even without beer - and of course, they had the ultimate sexy baddie :)
    22. Kindred and Poltiergeist were pretty atmospheric, but rarely had much in the way of an interesting plot - all sexy looks and nothing between the ears...
    23. UFO - pretty innovative in that it led the way ahead of Space:1999 for using models for special effects shots and humans for the plot bits. And the plot was more paranoid than the X-Files :)
    24. Odyssey 5 - rather a confused show that never found it's feet before it got cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Exar Khun

battletech the cartoon was my favorite i know its a cartoon but its about 70 ton ....ah well you know the rest... or you should

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Originally posted by Sparks
    Hmmm... okay, I can do the list thing...
    1. Space:1999 -
    2. BSG - why can't they just let that god-awful muck DIE?
    3. Total Recall - ah, here's why - the pattern is that any half-way complex show gets cancelled as being too "highbrow" :( Dammit, and Total Recall was good - the series, not the movie, obviously.

I enjoyed it. It was called Total Recall 2070 though wasn't it? And it was far more based on Dick's "Blade Runner" world than "Total Recall". Still it showed signs of going somewhere, which is why it got axed.

[*]American Gothic was a wonderful little anti-morality show but it lost it's way, IMO.

Never! Wonderful series! Bring it back! NOW!

[*]Millennium was so-so right up until Frank Black decides that the Mellennium group isn't quite kosher and is in fact a rather nasty cult. Then it got quite good - and was promptly shot down :(

... I thought it was fantastic. I loved the whole war between Heaven and Hell that was playing out. Lucy Butler was a great evil bi*ch. The S3 episode, "Saturn Dreaming Of Mercury" was the scariest hour of television I've ever seen - "Who's stronger Frank? Me? Or You?" And we never found out the answer....

[/B][/QUOTE]

[*]Jerimah - nice idea, well executed, little plot holes made up for by nice little details.

S2 is airing later this year in the US! Hurrah! And everything wrapped up very nicely for the season finale...

[*]Sliders - sortof like what you'd expect if you took all the really bad sci-fi writers and asked them to write individual stories with no arcs and bad characterisation...

The first couple of season were ok...After Arturo (aka LOTR's Gimli) left it went uber-crap. The whole Khromags invading worlds thing had potential that wasn't ever realised....

[*]Enterprise - pretty good premise, decent execution to the middle of series two and then it lost it's way and meandered - and then the series two finale, which of course, wasn't in any way influenced by september 11th...

Can't stand it. Bloody awful. Hate all the characters and all the plot lines seem to be recycled from previous Trek. No wonder it's getting such poor ratings. The sooner it gets cancelled and the Trek franchise gets new blood, the better.

[*]Stargate - not too shabby. A cynical pragmatist as a lead character in an american show? You can understand my liking for this show :D Plus, to see MacGuyver wandering about with an MP5 or a P90 is just too nice :D Plus the way that prior shows feed into current shows in a realistic way (ie. technology is introduced and remains in the show, unlike in Star Trek).

Indeed - SG:1 is very good for continuity. A Goa'uld ship may crash one season and, the next year, the characters get to use the newly developed ship from the retro-engineered Goa'uld veseel. Sometimes they revisit plot elements from several years ago becaues they had consequences. Never mind the consistently shifting powerbase of the System Lords. Also they've developed the history of the Goa'uld, Tok'ra, etc. quite well. The socities seem quite realistic.
    Of course it's all helped by O'Neill's sarcastic take on everything and the way the team bond so very well as an ensemble.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭mcgarnicle

Quantum Leap, one of the best shows of all time.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭mcgarnicle

Quantum Leap wasn't cancelled, it came to an end. As in it had a proper last episode.

It was cancelled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭sci0x

Married With Children was a great show in my oppinion and that was cancelled :(.

• Advertisement

[*]Stargate - not too shabby. A cynical pragmatist as a lead character in an american show? You can understand my liking for this show Plus, to see MacGuyver wandering about with an MP5 or a P90 is just too nice Plus the way that prior shows feed into current shows in a realistic way (ie. technology is introduced and remains in the show, unlike in Star Trek).

Stargate is so far and away the best sci fi that has been made

The team is Great really work together T,elk sam jack O neill and Daniel all have different weekness,s and strenghts which is showen in the show

The technology is real world (ish) and has a kind of star trek optimism about it where going out their not just to defend ourself,s but to help other,s and because we want to

The enemy is all ways changeing and earths allie,s arent all really interested in its well being other that the asguard who seem to really love earth.That brings a kinda real world setting to the show as well

Im so glad their,s going to be a year 8 and a spin off show ROLE ON Stargate :)

Advertisement