Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Network Problem

Options
  • 24-03-2003 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭

i have two computers network, DESKTOP and LAPTOP. they are both running win2k pro with internet connection sharing running on the desktop. i can access the laptop from the desktop but can access the desktop from the laptop. the internet connection sharing works, i can ping from one to the other and when i go into "my network places" i can see both computers on both.

the error i get is
    \\DESKTOP is not accessible
    Logon failure: the user has not been granted the requested logon type at this computer.

i have tried my best with security settings on them to find a problem. anyone any experience with this?

thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

i think if you create a user account on the desktop for the laptop user of your choice it should work.

ie if you log onto your laptop as "bogman", you need to create a "bogman" a\c on the desktop.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

or reverse that statement!

time for bed methinks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Lucifer

both computers log on with the same user name. do i have to create a network account... if so, how do i???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Beëlzebooze

what on \\desktop are you trying to access? have you anything shared to access? I I am not mistaken, \\desktop will show up in the browserlist (network neighbourhood or network places), but if it is not sharing any resources, you would get an error you are describing.

Try to share a folder on desktop, and give everyone read and change permissions.

if you can't share a folder, you might not have file and printersharing installed in the network properties.

i have my drives shared and printer shared. i had the drives on the desktop mapped to the laptop, and this worked, then i started getting errors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,528 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Hmm...
    Do you have any third-party networking software on either the laptop or the desktop? e.g. Novell Client?

Does one account belong to some kind of NT Domain, and the other doesn't? Are both machines in the same workgroup?

Do the shares you created on Desktop allow permissions for the username you are trying to use, to access them?

You could try (from the command line):
    net use <drive letter:> \\Desktop\c$

For example: Net Use g: \\Desktop\c$

or by IP address (you'll get this by typing ipconfig from the command line).. Net Use g: \\<IP Address>\c$

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Abraxas

On XP, I usually get around this exact problem by going into Control Panel | Administrative Tools | Local Security Settings. In User Rights Assignment, change "Access this computer from the network" to grant permission to LAPTOP\username.

I don't have access to a Win 2k pc to find out the equivalent steps, but hope this helps anyway. :)

Originally posted by Abraxas
    On XP, I usually get around this exact problem by going into Control Panel | Administrative Tools | Local Security Settings. In User Rights Assignment, change "Access this computer from the network" to grant permission to LAPTOP\username.

I don't have access to a Win 2k pc to find out the equivalent steps, but hope this helps anyway. :)

this seems to have worked, so everything is running smoothly again. thanks to all who helped

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Abraxas

Excelleeent. Is the procedure in Win2k the same as described for XP?

its pretty much the same as doing it with xp

• Advertisement
Advertisement