Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

German Oral Info

Options
  • 24-03-2003 10:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭

hope this helps. Orals 3rd &4th of April

German oral info
    source:german leaving cert examiners meeting
    Manooth - march 2003

on at least one ocassion you will have to show your ability to speak in the past tence

no major topics will be discussed (eg: war on Iraq)

the first things you will have to do are: state your name, your exam number (in german) and sign a document

answer as much as you can independent of the examiner's support

a wide range of vocabulary and awareness and use of grammer is very imprortant

possible questions include:

Datails zur person - eg: haben sie Geschwister?

Schule - eg: beschreiben sie die Schule hier

Freizeitbeschaftigung - eg: haben sie spezielle Hobbys?

Nach dem L.C. - eg: was wurden sie gern studieren?

Wohnort - eg: wollen sie mir ein bisschen uber dein Umgebung
    erzalen?

Spracher lernen - eg: welche sinn, nach ihre Meinung, macht
    Deutschzulernen?

Irland/Deutschland - eg: waren sie schon mal in Deutschland? wo?

after 3 or 4 questions you will be asked: wollen sie mir velleicht etwas uber einen Deutschen literalischen Text erzahlen den sie gelesen haben?

immediatly after you will be asked: oder wollen sie uber einen Deutschen Film Sprechen den sie gesehen haben?
    you may simple answer: "Nein danke" and the examiner will move on.

when you pick one of the picture stories you will be asked - welche haben sie gekriegt? - simply give the title - eg: Drogen: Nein Danke!

then you have 30 seconds to look over the pictures

you must then give a 2 minute uninterupted narrative of the sequence

you will the be asked 1 or 2 questions on the subject matter of the text or how the story might continue eg: wie geht die Geschichte weiter?

be sure not to go through the sequence picture by pictue - "in pic 1 abc, in pic 2 xyz...", it must be a flowing narrative

this is 99% reliable

good luck

ferdi

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Shane

state your exam number (in german)

WRONG!!! You state your number in English! When your tape is sent to the Corrections Center it will be sorted by a non - German / French speaking person! That's what my French teacher said anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

oh well, my contact in the german department seems to think different.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

nope, i'm pretty positivie that you have to state your number in german if asked. You will however be asked to write you details down, thus in english :) The main thing we were told to do is as soon as you enter the room, unless spoken to in english, you speak only in German, and german only until you've left the room.
    So anybody else freaking about wednesday? i know i am. Freaked out at me german teacher the other day lol :P
    go team stress

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

mines tuesday arrrgh:confused: what will i do:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Shane

Well, here is the answer! I did the oral today. You can say it in English or French! As you will find out, the only time you will be asked your number is if there has been a change to the timetable! Otherwise a pre-printed form with your exam number will be there to sign! As the tape does not start recording until you sign, it has no influence on your grade!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

My oral is tomorrow and i'm so fukd. Since friday i've done 11 hours of study which involved 5 minutes of looking over german.

pray for me

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

i have now done my Oral and i did Sh*te

but don't worry that was my own doing after thinking about it should have been fairly easy

you should have 5-6 sentances ready(or at least be able to say them) on each of the subjects in the picture stories i.e bullying or unemployment

you will be able to adapt this to essentially ever question by just adding in my school or in my town before what you say

a lot of the Role-playing can just be you repeating what it says in german at the top of the sheet
    i.e on the jugendherberge one(which i got) it says all the complaints you have to say in german for you repeat these verbally added bits

Finally in the general Questions apparently it really determins on what you say i.e if you talk about gonig on holidays last year she/he might ask you what you'll do after the leaving cert

i'd also suggest revising the german for the differnt subjects you do- i couldent remember enough so i said i did french(which i dont) and she started asking why i do 2 languages which i prefere etc...

p.s good luck

Advertisement