Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless Network

Options
  • 24-03-2003 11:48pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi I'm looking into setting up a wireless network and wondering can anyone tells me exactly what I'll need to set it up. How many cards, access points etc. I will also probably connect this to ADSL. So If I use an ADSL router can i connect a wireless device to it directly.

4 PC's running windows 2000 and a laptop or two may drop in from time to time.

I'd appreciate any help/info people can give me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭pclancy

im fairly sure you can get a wireless access point which has adsl connectivity built in, no idea how much though. you'll need a pci card for every pc and pccards for the laptops. There's plenty of choice but i'd recommend go for the smc or 3com brands. Expensive but a lot less hassle and much better support then the cheaper cards. I set up a wireless lan in a school a few years ago and 5 pcs and 1 laptop plus an access point set them back bout 800 punts i think. Have a good look at where you're putting it in to though, i've seen a lot of difference in the speed and ease of installation between buildings. The older, less well electrical noise insulated buildings tend to have problems.

I think this months issue of PC Live! had a thing on access points, cant find it right now but im sure they reviewed something like that.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Id get USB WLAN Nic's for the PC's, much easier then the PCI cards (the signal can be blocked by the PC its self or other obstructuons) they can be postioned more convently.

U need enough access points to ver the area you are dwaling with (probably 1 in you case).

Linksys do a DSL/Access Point i think (as do many others, D-Link?). Most Wireless gear is as good as the next brand so i wouldn't get caught up in brand snobbery (there are only a handfull of WLAN chip sets outh ther e so most cards are just rebadged versions of the same thing). You budget will dictae what you buy id say

;)

if u buy the 802.11b stuff it should all work with any other 802.11b stuff. 802.11g is faster but its not standardised yet so what you buy now may not work with stuff you buy in 6 months etc..

PCMCIA cards are the handyest for laptops but you can get very neat USB keyring sized units as well.

You budget is proably going to be

150-200 for AP (possibly more for DSL esp if u want a built in DSL modem)
    80-150 for USB units
    60-150 for PCMCIA cards

Shop around prices vary alot, amazon.co.uk do good deals i hear....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

you might do better posting this on the wireless forum. One of the mod's is the founder of Irishwan.

Have a look at http://www.vbnets.com, they do good deals and are in kerry so cheap irish shipping.

dabs.co.uk have a cheap wireless AP/ethernet hub/dsl modem (including the actual dsl modem) all in one job.

If it's a normal house you'll probably just need the one AP. USB or pcmcia cards are only about 60-90 euros.
    Greg

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Also, you could ask over at IrishWan if anybody knows about wireless, these guys do!

They also have a fourm that is pretty much identical to boards.ie except it is dedicated to Wireless stuff.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Thanks for all the help guys. Am I right in thinking that the DSL/Access Point is connected to the ADSL splitter. Each computer/laptop with a card installed can then see each other and has access to the net. IE. Like an ADSL router with built in switch only minus the cable? Hope That sounds clear:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

If you already have a DSL modem then you just need a AP that will be a DSL router (basicly a NAT box) or if u dont have a modem u will need an AP that has one built in.

If you have a DSL router (spits ure DSL conection out to loads of PC's) u just need a standard AP.

DSL modems are the box that the phone line plugs in to...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Originally posted by Rew
    If you already have a DSL modem then you just need a AP that will be a DSL router (basicly a NAT box) or if u dont have a modem u will need an AP that has one built in.

If you have a DSL router (spits ure DSL conection out to loads of PC's) u just need a standard AP.

DSL modems are the box that the phone line plugs in to...

Cheers Rew

Advertisement