Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Remote Eye

• 25-03-2003 1:56am
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I think that is the name of it, what I am looking to set up the digital so that it can be watched in another room.

What sort of cabling do you recommend and also I spotted a few different remote eyes in the Argos catalogue which one if any do you recommend.

If you could give me an idea of prices for this it would be much appreciated

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Three kinds of solution:
    1) The eye that sits at TV inline with RF aerial cable from Digibox ( www.satellite.ie ). Only works digibox via RF out 2.

2) A wireless remote adaptor (Argos). Works with any remote handset to any base equipment. No wires.

3) Video Sender. The only remote solution with Stereo. The base TX can connect to DVD, VHS, Digibox etc and emits IR control for any equipment. The RX base at remote TV connects via SCART or composite or RCA/Phone to HiFi. The RX unit retransmitts any IR remote handset it sees to base TX unit. No wires. Much higher quality video and audio than via TV aerial socket coax cable.
    (Argos and everyother place, Thomson, Philips, Digisender etc.) These use 2.4GHz analog FM video with two separate sound carriers like analog satellite (In fact an ADX+ lets some Analog Satellite receiver pick one up).

RF out from VHS or Digibox internal signal (not looped through off air TV) NEVER has stereo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Yop,

If your looking to transmit sky pictures into another room you should consider a decent video sender. I think the all in 1 video sendor is supposed to be good.

However the magic eye is only used for sky remote sending (changing channels from another room). But be warned if your coax cable is sent through a distribution box the eye will not work.
    A wireless remote adaptor (Argos). Works with any remote handset to any base equipment. No wires.

I have this at home and it is excellent. It works for DVD/Video/Sky ect ect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

i was also thinking of buying a digisender but all the scarts on my digibox, tv, vcr and dvd are being used.

Is there any way round this?

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Ro-76

Originally posted by yop
    I think that is the name of it, what I am looking to set up the digital so that it can be watched in another room.

What sort of cabling do you recommend and also I spotted a few different remote eyes in the Argos catalogue which one if any do you recommend.

Thanks

I bought a digital eye and sky remote from www.ardelectronics.com , based in Scotland, for a very reasonable price late last year. It works really very well, just connected to the coaxial cable behind the TV. This cable is then connected to RF out 2 on the back of the digibox. This does not need to be sat qualty cable. The cable I'm using was installed over 20 years ago, and has at least 3 connectors/Y-adapters between the second TV and the digibox.

Ronan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 607 ✭✭✭dougal

i was also thinking of buying a digisender but all the scarts on my digibox, tv, vcr and dvd are being used.

The digisender will not need an extra scart as it receives the input from the SAT to TV Scart and then goes into the TV instead of this.
    Mine is a One for all and it does the job perfectly.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

A wireless remote adaptor (Argos). Works with any remote handset to any base equipment. No wires.

No wires?? so you plug this into the digibox and then the 2nd part into the 2nd TV and you can watch digital on the 2nd tv and use the sky remote?? Is that correct??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,336 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Originally posted by yop

Thanks

We have both remote eye (tv link) and videosender on our website. I recommend CT100 cable (uninteruppted) if you intend using the tv link. A few guys have here have bought the Argos unit which seems to get good reviews

Tony

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭Mark_irl

the sky digi link is also available in Powercity, Malahide Road, for €12.99 and works very well!!!!!

hmmm I'll have to find out where they are buying from and review our pricing policy:D

Yes my Thomson version of "Digisender" (Which is not especially for Digibox, nor digital), has a kind of "Through" SCART adaptor that plugs in betwwen the SCART lead to VHS or local TV and Digibox or DVD player.

The TX part had a long lead with 3 IR LEDs on it to more easily control different equipment.

I wish I had got a 2nd or 3rd when Lidl did some for 50 Euro.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭navi_5445

I have an internal (inside house walls) coax connection from one room to another which the magic eye will not work on: picture yes, red LED & remote capability no.

I've verified the remote control operation with an external coax connection so the issue is with the internal cable which I assume is just a direct cable from wall socket A to wall socket B. Can anybody point me to a URL on how to connect coax to a wall socket properly as this may be the issue. Thx.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

No wires?? so you plug this into the digibox and then the 2nd part into the 2nd TV and you can watch digital on the 2nd tv and use the sky remote?? Is that correct??

I think your talking about 2 different things there Yop.

Firstly to use your remote from another room (any remote) you need a remote sender. As I said I have one of these. Basically you have a reciever (which say you plug (power socket only) into the bedroom) and you transmitter which you plug into your sitting room. When you want to control your equipment downstiars you point your remote at the transmitter and press the desired button. It sends you remote signal out of the transmitter in the sitting room which in turn changes the channel/turns up the volume... whatever. All it does is re-beam your remote downstairs.

Then there is the video sender (I dont have one of these so I cannot review - but they are suppose to be good). It will beam the o/p signal (I think) from say your TV/Video around your house. You just tune in your TV's into this frequency.

Originally posted by navi_5445
    I have an internal (inside house walls) coax connection from one room to another which the magic eye will not work on: picture yes, red LED & remote capability no.

I've verified the remote control operation with an external coax connection so the issue is with the internal cable which I assume is just a direct cable from wall socket A to wall socket B. Can anybody point me to a URL on how to connect coax to a wall socket properly as this may be the issue. Thx.

The wall sockets may be of the isolated type which may be your problem.

Tony

The videosender I stock and most others as far as I know will send the picture and relay remote commands back to the main tv point.

Tony

Originally posted by daveg

Firstly to use your remote from another room (any remote) you need a remote sender. As I said I have one of these. Basically you have a reciever (which say you plug (power socket only) into the bedroom) and you transmitter which you plug into your sitting room. When you want to control your equipment downstiars you point your remote at the transmitter and press the desired button. It sends you remote signal out of the transmitter in the sitting room which in turn changes the channel/turns up the volume... whatever. All it does is re-beam your remote downstairs.

Then there is the video sender (I dont have one of these so I cannot review - but they are suppose to be good). It will beam the o/p signal (I think) from say your TV/Video around your house. You just tune in your TV's into this frequency.

The wall sockets may be of the isolated type which may be your problem.

A trawl through Google has failed me: How would I know if the socket is an isolated type? It's hard to describe but it just appears to be a metal plate, a removable metal band to hold the cable in place and a tiny socket type thing (like inside a domestic plug) to hold the core of the cable.

A trawl through Google has failed me: How would I know if the socket is an isolated type? It's hard to describe but it just appears to be a metal plate, a removable metal band to hold the cable in place and a tiny socket type thing (like inside a domestic plug) to hold the core of the cable.

What you describe sounds like non isolated so your probelm may lie elsewhere.

Tony

Originally posted by daveg

The old illegal videosenders were "bumped up" game or VCR modulators (AM UHF). They had no remote channel. They were never legal in UK or ROI.

All the modern legal CE mark videosenders have a reverse 430MHz channel for remote with a "remote eye" on the video reciever that plugs in your TV and IR LED emmiters to resend the IR remote signal from the Video Transmitter in the room with the Digibox / DVD or VHS. The Video is 2.4Ghz FM, choice of 4 channels. (no channel choice on Remote siganl curiously).

Yes there are remote only wireless remote signal transmitter /receivers, but the video sender with wireles remote built in is not a lot more.

As an experiment I connected a microphone instead of the IR eye to the remote "transmitter" part and an Amatuer Radio set could still get it 200yds away..

The Remote signal is in the middle on one Amatuer band (70cm), and the video has two channels inside amatuer 13cm Band and two outside it

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Got me a digi sender with sky remote in Curry for 37 yoyos.
    Not bad me thinks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 alfa

I had set up my co-ax in the same fashion. Are you by any chance using a amplified splitter ?? I have tv's set up in 6 rooms but could not use the magic eye with the splitter I had purchased prior to getting sky installed.

I changed my splitter to a Global 7 way splitter (Tony sells them on his site) and it solved the problem. I know have 4 magic eyes working in different rooms

I couldn't be bothered rewiring the sockets only to find it didn't work so I bought me an AEI video digisender in Argos.

Fantastic gadget but the sound transmission is kind of muffled, it sounds like the TV speaker isn't working properly...like when a tweeter blows or the 'wax paper over a comb' effect...the sound is perfect without the digisender.

Anybody else have audio issues with one of these?

• Advertisement

FYI I found that the Sky digibox had its volume setting (Services) to max and while there's not much of an audible difference from min to max there's obviously some kind of signal issue. It's set to the minimum now and there's no sound distortion over the digisender.

Obviously the (pre-digisender) coax connection was not as sensitive.

The RF coax is different anyhow as it is fed from sum of L + R audio signals. Since the RF is AM video with a single FM audio subcarrier it has a greater latitude on sound levels.

The videosenders do stereo by (unlike radio Stereo) TWO completely separate 6.0 and 6.5 MHz FM subcarriers on a FM video carrier. There may be a built in audio limiter to avoid over deviation which might affect the video or even an adjacent video sender channel (there are 4).

Never had any problem with my Thomson Video Sender. Used it with Digibox, Supervision 2500 DVD player, Samsung 8mm Camcorder (Mono) and Hauppauge DVBs PCI satellite TV card on PC (Stereo).

The video sender receiver works beside my ATV TX without inteference allowing a two way camera link.

Also with an ADX+ in plus mode on my Analog Satreceiver (No LNB) and an aerial consisting of 2" wire I can pick up the Video Sender Transmitter perfectly (Audio either Left or Right but not both) 1.9GHz tuning + 500MHz of ADX = 2.4GHz Video sender (older analog receivers can only tune to 1.700 GHz).

Advertisement