Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leap misleading

Options
  • 25-03-2003 10:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭

I orinigally rang Leap last August enquiring about getting their service in (I live in the cabinteely/foxrock area) as I had tried with the others to no avail, I was told they were putting a past on 3rock at the start of Oct, mid Oct rolled round, rang again & was told november, november rolled around....same story again start of Dec, fast forward to Feb 2003 after repeated calls & being told the same rubbish I was finally told that the mast in finally up & that they were doing some testing before installing users... cool I thought, i met up with a guy from leap who was very helpful etc, signed the agrement etc & organised a LOS for the first week of March, the guy phoned in advance & arrived on time, The guy got upon the roof & looked around, he didn't have a laptop or anything to check the signal strenth but then said I passed the test??? Leap then rang a day or two later to say it would be a week or two as they were still testing... fast forward three weeks & i still have don't have any internet, I rang them yesterday & they said it would be another week or two as they were testing

has anyone had the same crap service from this provider? or am I just being very unlucky?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

They are telling the truth but just didn't want to loose your custom. The mast is up but won't be offering services for a couple of weeks. You should have asked for the exact date that you would have internet available. For Three Rock sometimes a visual line of sight will suffice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭talla

i've had the same with testing to threerock, engineer called out, got up on roof without any equipment and said yeh there would be no problem,(i know a person from work who had this same guy out, he got up on the roof without equipment, said yeh no problem, then a couple of fellas came out a week later with testing equipment and said he failed). I think that they send this engineer out to try and keep ur intrest in Leap, they don't want another IBB situation where people are waiting weeks/months on LOS tests, but the actaual test is when they use the the equipment. Myself personally, i've decided not to go with Leap and tie myself into a 12 month contract when cheaper packages are slowly appearing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭shabbyroad

I've been told that I have LOS but will have to pay another €100 for a high-gain antenna.
    I find this a little hard to swallow because I won't ever own the hardware....I'm basically paying for more equipment so that I can give them money every month.
    Surely they should be keen enough to get my business that the additional cost should not be passed on to me.
    So, I almost certainly won't be getting their service....I don't need it that badly...

of course they probably realise that I have no other options...

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭delop

I live in the D 9 area, Leap called out a few months ago to do a LOS to the RTE transmitter, I passed, they then installed the equipment and recieved a strong signal.... Well so they said, but they werent happy, there was some interference, more test were needed, then they said they woudl have to try a different antenna, looked like a small dish. Result still a good signal with interference...... They spent a few more days at it and finally told me that there was and RTE radio AM transmitter in the area, that broadcasted all over the country and this was cancelling out the signal...

Sounded a bit sus to me but I just had to accept their word for it...

I must say though they really did a lot of work at no cost to me... Oh well

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Serbian

Originally posted by delop
    [Leap] finally told me that [the] RTE radio AM transmitter in the area, that broadcasted all over the country ... was cancelling out the signal

Could this begin to explain why the service Irish Broadband offer off the RTE mast is such an unfathomable disgrace? If the AM transmitter can 'cancel out signal' of 802.11x transmissions, should wireless companies really have their equipment up there in the first place?

Sounds like a bit of a cop out excuse to me, but at least they bother to make up excuses, unlike Irish Broadband.

Sorry to drag this a little off topic, don't really mean to start another Irish Broadband moan thread.

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Leap dont use 802.11x , they use some proprietary wireless protocol (which was originally used by the Israeli military if I'm not mistaken...)

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭rardagh

Hi,

I am sorry if this comes across as a commercial posting, or is in breach of the boards etiquette, but I would like to respond on behalf of Leap.

I would like to thank all of the businesses and individuals that have ordered a Leap Broadband service and have had the patience to bare with us during our current phase of network expansion. I am delighted to say that the Leap Broadband base station at Three Rock is now operational and customers are live across the city and enjoying the benefits of the Leap Broadband service. There is quite a backlog of orders to provision and we hope to be able to provide service to other interested parties off of the Three Rock transmitter in the weeks and months ahead.

With the continued support of many participants of the boards forum we hope to continue the expansion of the Leap Broadband network and continue to provide an alternative to the traditional Internet service providers.

Kindest regards,

Rory Ardagh

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Originally posted by rardagh
    Hi,

I am sorry if this comes across as a commercial posting, or is in breach of the boards etiquette, but I would like to respond on behalf of Leap.

With the continued support of many participants of the boards forum we hope to continue the expansion of the Leap Broadband network and continue to provide an alternative to the traditional Internet service providers.

Kindest regards,

Rory Ardagh

Hi Rory, I'd just like to say welcome to boards.

The more people and ISPs who interact here on boards, the better. I hope this is just your first of many more postings and interactions with your customers and potential customers here on boards.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Originally posted by bk
    I hope this is just your first of many more postings and interactions with your customers and potential customers here on boards.
    It's his 21st post Brendan. Rory's been with us for nearly two years now. :)

adam

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Originally posted by dahamsta
    It's his 21st post Brendan. Rory's been with us for nearly two years now. :)

adam

Opps, sorry Rory, I'm a bit doozy today.

Anyway my sentiment is still the same, I'd love to see all the ISP's (yes even Eircom and Esat) interact here on boards.

BTW Adam, my name is Brian, who is this Brendan guy everyone keeps calling me :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Anyway my sentiment is still the same, I'd love to see all the ISP's (yes even Eircom and Esat) interact here on boards.

Abolutely. I'd like to Eircom and EsatBT here too, even if it was only to post the odd update or to try and deal with the odd customer complaint.

BTW Adam, my name is Brian, who is this Brendan guy everyone keeps calling me

Sorry Brian, mixing you up with another user. There's two of 'em here by the same name, so I got a little mixed up. :)

adam

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I'm glad to see Leap here too cos now I can whinge about the routing :)

Actually I've been happy with the service I've had (needs to drop in price to stay competitive) but the support engineers have bent over backwards for us in my flat and the download speeds always top out from good servers...

Rory, can you give an update on the routing situation to Irish servers (particularly esat)??
    Any sign of a shift in price?

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 romi

I've passed the los test over a month ago(more or less),the next day they ring me saying that the following week they would get in contact with me to arrange an installment date,another three weeks went by and no phone call.I got sick of waiting and decided to ring them,the secretary took my message and said that they would call right back,thsi happened twice with no return phone call.Today I got up and called again,she recognized me and must of been embarrassed so she gave me the guys mobile number,he also recognized me and was very thankful for baring with them(very polite I must say),he said that the 3rock transmitter was having some problems but that everything was fine now,he also told me that when he got back to his office he would ring me back and arrange an installment date,unfortunately I'm still waiting!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

Originally posted by DeVore
    Rory, can you give an update on the routing situation to Irish servers (particularly esat)??
    Any sign of a shift in price?

DeV.

Dev you should know by now, however visible a representative of an ISP seems, they always vanish when you ask them a question like this.
    However, if you have a more useless question like "when are you coming to ballinteer?" or "how come I've been waiting 2 weeks?" they'll be right there with a "soon...." :)

zynaps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭phoenix2181

well just to give you guys an update, I rang leap on Friday & they said they were sorry no one phoned back, but they said how would Tuesday suit for an install, so I agreed but have not heard anything since so I we will see this afternoon, this better not be a April fool joke..... by the way Leap have a swtand at the ICT expo thats running from today until Thursday, so if your no happy you can meet them face to face for a change

• Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Dangger

May be a little OT, but IOFFL are sharing a stage with Leap at this years O2 Digital Media Conference. Details here. Perhaps we can get some anwers to these queries?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 romi

Hi,this is just an update on the phone call I was supposed to get to set up an installation date...........I'm still waiting for the phone call!!!

Advertisement