Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ADSL set up with eircom???

Options
  • 25-03-2003 10:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭

Im thinking bout getting in the i-stream starter from eircom and just have a question about the actual setup. if im to get it in i'll go with the self install pack and i'll purchase my adsl modem from elsewhere. If i decide to go with an external adsl ethernet modem, what is the actual setup,I ask this as my pc is upstairs in my bedroom, phone connection is downstairs in hall. At present i've just run cable extension up to the bedroom to connect pc to telephne line. So my question is how will I connect pc to dsl line? Can it use the cable running up already or will I have to run sone crossover/cat5 cable down to telephone point??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Im thinking bout getting in the i-stream starter from eircom and just have a question about the actual setup. if im to get it in i'll go with the self install pack and i'll purchase my adsl modem from elsewhere.??

There is evidence that self install will come in the summer and will not be an option on the 11/04 when the product is launched. Yes you may buy your own modem already.

If i decide to go with an external adsl ethernet modem, what is the actual setup,I ask this as my pc is upstairs in my bedroom, phone connection is downstairs in hall.

The external will go upstairs, the extension cable will get the adsl from the socket downstairs to upstairs as it does now.

At present i've just run cable extension up to the bedroom to connect pc to telephne line. So my question is how will I connect pc to dsl line? Can it use the cable running up already or will I have to run sone crossover/cat5 cable down to telephone point

short crossover from network card in PC to the ethernet external DSL modem

It is time to again mention a site which should be stickied in here along with Stans ICS setup post. Karl Jeacle on Eircom ADSL ...

M

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

cat5 is overkill for dsl.

stick a filter at the jack in the wall downstairs and run the DSL stream over a normal telephone line up to your PC.

it should be a standard RJ11 (Telephone) plug

or

send the DSL+Phone signal upstairs and split it there.

Advertisement