Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dress code at work

• 25-03-2003 10:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭

I have worked with many different nationalities, but the one thing that bugs me the most is the foreigners who decide to walk around the office in the socks, and Muppets that like to wear sandals what is it with these people?????
    The Smell of naphon in the morning I can handle but the feet its enough to turn ones stomach and with the stupid foreigners always wanting the heat turned up in the office im sure you can appreciate the smell can become unbearable....
    But of late it seems to have infected one or two at work... you know who you are Saruman so put those sandals away for you holidays with Mammy and Daddy and put your shoes back on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 kirracol

I'd have to agree. Normally these are people that wear shorts into works aswell. You think that they could attempt to wear a clean pair of socks. Maybe you should call in the health and safety ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Beëlzebooze

I knew a guy who came to work in a t-shirt and a pair of lycra cycle shorts (bright blue) once.

it was f**king hillarious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Wook

woohoo attack of the 'cool' newbies
    who fricking cares what they wear as long as it doesnt interfere with the job ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭horn dog 1

nice one wook....
    just shows your dress code must be something to admire with your intelegence non existant....

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I know its against netiquette to criticise spelling but *CHRIST* if you are going to insult someones intelligence.... you might spell the word correctly...

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

lol. Nuff said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Originally posted by horn dog 1
    just shows your dress code must be something to admire with your intelegence non existant....

Lets see if I can work out the logic at work here.
    1. Wook doesn't give a crap about something that doesn't affect a colleague's ability to work.
    2. Ergo he lacks intelegence[sic].
    3. Ergo he has poor dress sense (or maybe ergo he has good dress sense and I'm reading sarcasm in there that is above horn dog 1's rhetorical ability to consciously use).

Nope, I think there are a few bits left out there.

Personally I'm happy as long as I'm not working with idiots and assholes. An asshole, no matter how well qualified on paper, is never the best person for the job.

Here's a hint: If you have nothing better to do than comment on the way your colleagues are or are not shod, and if you bizarrely attribute this to nationality, then you may be one of the above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I dunno, I used to work in a european call centre and the Germans especially used to take the piss with what they wore, sandals especially, in the middle of winter ffs! I know in call centres people tend to not dress up, but you have to have some standards....

I work in support now (pretty much all Irish/British people in my company) and while we don't dress like scum bags, we don't come in in tracksuits (which I saw frequently in my last job - Xerox!).

Personally I think once you cross "the line" of jeans and nice (clean) trainers, you're showing a bit of disregard for your job and company image.

Oh dear this makes me sound like a suit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 kirracol

I'd have to agree with eth0_ & horn dog1. People that dress down while in work show a lack of respect for themselves and people around them. Especially in Call Centres where new customers are constantly visiting. It doesn't create a good image and makes themselves and their colleagues look bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭theciscokid

yes , yes it does,. i would just wear jeans and maybe chords.,

but never trainers in a workplace

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

well in work i do think that a dress code is a must . i dont see much wrong with sandles but then again if your feet smell or if your feet have a fungal infection / open cuts etc... i would hope that ppl would wear a different sort footware .

but imo you should be allowed to dress as you want as long as it dosnt cause religious or racial tension

People rarely follow dress codes in call centres though.
    Tech support almost never have anyone important around them so they can get away with a little more, but sandals....jesus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

I do a lot of 'stuff' and what I wear generally depends on the task at hand on the day/night and the professional attitude of the company I'm doing the work for. For example, when I worked for a web development company, a couple of us brought in our own slippers to pad around the office in. Apart from that, the only ones required to wear suits were the directors and sales team. The development team wore what they liked and looked as scruffy as they liked, as they generally weren't exposed to customers (or sunlight ;) ). On the odd occasion when we *would* meet a client we'd... ah... shave. Our laid back attitude in the office helped us relax our minds better (helpful when you're doing design work) and focus on the task at hand and clients certainly appreciated this fresh approach.

I work in a construction company now though, and attitudes are a tad different. When in the office I dress casually yet smartly enough to greet a potential client (who would potentially throw projects worth a considerable amount our way, if suitably impressed), should that eventuality arise unexpectedly. I'll wear a suit if I know for definite that I'm meeting a client that day. I'll wear jeans and a t-shirt (and a hi-vis jacket, boots and hard-hat) on days that I'm going to be on site.

I do other stuff on the side too... Working in the bar, I wear the bar staff's uniform of black trousers, white shirt and black tie with logo. Doing on-site support or meeting web site clients, I'll wear a suit. Doing my DJ'ing and quiz-nights, I'll wear all black. Working from home, I wear any old thing... (Nobody sees me then so it doesn't matter).

Common sense and courtesy basically. First impressions last, and all that...

(wouldn't this be more appropriate on the Work board? just a thought...)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Originally posted by Bard
    IWhen in the office I dress casually yet smartly enough to greet a client, should that eventuality arise unexpectedly. I'll wear a suit if I know I'm meeting a client that day. I'll wear jeans and a t-shirt (and a hi-vis jacket, boots and hard-hat) if I'm going to be on site. Working in the bar, I wear the bar staff's uniform of black trousers, white shirt and black tie with logo. Doing on-site support or meeting web site clients, I'll wear a suit. Doing my DJ'ing and quiz-nights, I'll wear all black. Working from home, I wear any old thing... (Nobody sees me then so it doesn't matter).

Jesus..... How many jobs have you got ???

Bard: The Swiss army knife of the employment market.....

Originally posted by kirracol
    I'd have to agree with eth0_ & horn dog1. People that dress down while in work show a lack of respect for themselves and people around them. Especially in Call Centres where new customers are constantly visiting. It doesn't create a good image and makes themselves and their colleagues look bad.
    Depends on the job. In some jobs "smart" dress makes you look like some sort of hopeless case that couldn't get a job somewhere with a relaxed dress-code.

Never buy software written by someone in a suit or sold by someone in a tee-shirt :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Horn dog is right about one thing, i do wear sandles in work sometimes.. reason? They are unbelievably comfortable and my feat air. They do not smell as he likes to put it. Sometimes in the past if im wearing shoes i will take them off as do some others.

However wearing a pear of bermudas into work is taking the piss!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

If something smells in an enclosed space or causes discomfort to others around you, then there's a problem. Otherwise, wear what you want. Sales/management/customer services may have specific dress requirements.

If it's a very warm day, I'll quite often wear a pair of shorts into work. I'm a lot more comfortable, and I don't think anyone has been bothered by it yet.

"never trainers in a workplace" ? Again, I often do. If someone worked in a fitness centre, then I'd imagine that anything else would be strange. I know plenty of people who consider a pair of wellies or hard wearing workboots to be standard in the workplace. Are these valid workplaces in the eyes of the dress snobs?

I agree with talliesin. It is infinitely preferable to work with someone who is smart rather than someone who is "well dressed", whatever that means.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I think people should be allowed wear pretty much anything they want. Obviously ones apparel should not be obscene or it should not disturb others in the office.

I'm able to work at least as well in jeans :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭the Guru

I have a guy in my office with really bad body odour and one he came in to work with a white pair of 70 trainer Run DMC style with no laces a smelly old tracksuit and a string vest absolulty brillant

And then at our xmas party he had a suit on with a hole in the arse of them and he had no underware on some people where put of there meals.

Classic

the Moral of the story is I dont care what people wear as long as they keep on top of there hygene.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

We had a Spanish guy here like that a while ago.. the BO off him was bad.. not so much sweat just a terrible smell.. might have been death or something...

• Advertisement

Originally posted by ecksor

"never trainers in a workplace" ? Again, I often do. If someone worked in a fitness centre, then I'd imagine that anything else would be strange. I know plenty of people who consider a pair of wellies or hard wearing workboots to be standard in the workplace. Are these valid workplaces in the eyes of the dress snobs?

Ecksor that is a RIDICULOUS comment to make. I was talking about my own experience of working in support, I never mentioned ALL workers in ALL jobs should wear a suit and tie, now did I.

There are few office based jobs you could walk into wearing shorts and sandals and not have something said about it, IMO. Companies have dress codes for a reason...

You never mentioned suits and ties at all in fact, just your issues with sandals.

Whether I'd get away with it in another company has, um, let me think, NOTHING (I knew there was a caps lock key around here somwhere) to do with anything.
    Companies have dress codes for a reason...

Remind us what that reason is again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Wook

Eth_0
    I would not critize other people too much because wearing 'punk' t-shirts is not entirely business casual either huh :)
    what about the piercings ? and the clear polital messages on a shirt ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Originally posted by Bard

I work in a construction company now though, and attitudes are a tad different. When in the office I dress casually yet smartly enough to greet a potential client (who would potentially throw projects worth a considerable amount our way, if suitably impressed), should that eventuality arise unexpectedly. I'll wear a suit if I know for definite that I'm meeting a client that day. I'll wear jeans and a t-shirt (and a hi-vis jacket, boots and hard-hat) on days that I'm going to be on site.
    Common sense and courtesy basically. First impressions last, and all that...

(wouldn't this be more appropriate on the Work board? just a thought...)

Similar boat to myself. Meeting clients outside is always an odd one, you should wear a suit, but if it's a site visit jeans are fine.

My site visits can be more awkward as I work with refrigeration gear which means temperatures down to -32C so I've an extra bag in the car for two old (but warm) jumpers and hat/gloves/scarfs no matter what time of year

Originally posted by Wook
    Eth_0
    I would not critize other people too much because wearing 'punk' t-shirts is not entirely business casual either huh :)
    what about the piercings ? and the clear polital messages on a shirt ?

There was never any mention of piercings in the dress code for xerox :DDD
    I don't dress like that for work now that i've moved up in the world, heh.

Political messages on t-shirts? Moi? Perhaps you're confusing my t-shirts with that of our dear departed friend Thomas?

Ecksor et al, you might find this interesting reading:

http://archives.tcm.ie/businesspost/2003/03/02/story604829615.asp

Oh, I see, an inappropriate dress standard implies that I don't wash and I have long hair.

What am I supposed to get from this article exactly? Is this a response to my question of what the reasons are that companys have a dress code? What are you trying to say exactly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Originally posted by ecksor
    Is this a response to my question of what the reasons are that companys have a dress code?

How about this?...

Modern companies have dress codes so that they can present themselves in a pleasingly clean and professional manner to potential clients because in today's business world, presentation and image counts for a lot.

Obviously when it comes to jobs which involve manual labour or safety concerns, the clothing worn is going to be more practical - but generally for office work, I'd imagine that dressing "smart" - i.e.: wearing clean slacks, shirt and tie - would be the accepted standard (and would be seen as a common courtesy to those you share the office with).

Personally, I don't particularly like stuffing myself into a suit, but have no problem doing so when needed for work. It is only work after all...

So, if you're working in telephone support, or aren't client/customer facing, then what are the reason for having a dress code if you work in an office?

I don't dispute that some jobs have a dress code for good reason (read my first post), just that one company's dress code doesn't necessarily apply to another company, and a blanket "oh my god, sandals/trainers/shorts/whatever" is a silly stance to take.

• Advertisement

I once used to always wear a suit in a job that had no dress code. At the time it was what I found easiest to get into a productive mind-set wearing. Now I honestly find it easier to get into the same productive mind-set wearing tee-shirts, jeans and New Rocks.

I generally don't have to deal with clients, and the few times I do they want to talk to someone who knows what the **** they are doing and don't care what they are wearing (some even seem reassured that I'm obviously a techie). The only possible reason for a dress code here would be if DeVore, Regi, Vexorg and all were so unaware of what the hell was going on in their own companies that they could only judge professionalism by whether or not I wear a suit.

Advertisement