Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dress code at work

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

i used to have to wear 'smart casual' clothes into work where i was in a non customer facing role. that was just the dress code of the organisation.
    now i do work in a client facing role, i wear a suit when i meet most customers, i dont when i meet some customers i know well enough to be casual with, and i dont wear a suit when im not meeting anyone.

to me, its just a matter of being more professional in my approach to work. when you meet a new client, who knows if they will judge me on the way i look, or on who i am, but im not going to take the risk to be honest.
    besides, as the face of my company, i have to be professional.

but in the office, doesnt bother me really unless osmething is offensive smelling or looking....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Years ago I used to work in accounts and had to wear a shirt, tie and suit. I absolutely hated it. Smart casual is one thing but I was expected to buy all these ties and suits that I wouldn't wear anywhere else and hated wearing. I wasn't even in a customer facing role. It made me feel restricted, pretentious and closed in. It's one of the reasons I left the profession. I work in advertising now and wear what I like. Obviously you don't take the pee. If I'm meeting a client I simply go smart casual as I would if I was going out to dinner. As long as you apply common sense, there should be no need for a company dress policy. It's bad for moral. Employees should be encouraged to be themselves as much as possible at work.

Mind you, Slipknot shirts are unacceptable in the workplace - and everywhere else:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,427 ✭✭✭ando

my work takes me everywhere so I wear pretty much anything I feel like

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

When I used to work at Apple, there was no dress code, and someday's you'd wonder if some knackers had wandered in from the halting site outside. Some of the worst/weirdest dressed people there were the most technically astute, and the most valuable to the company. Most of the best dressed people were a complete waste of space.

I honestly don't think it matters much. If you know what you're doing, you'll be able to impress that upon a client/co-worker/boss no matter what you wear.

BO and hygene are another story though....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭tom-thebox

They decided where I work not to have it compulsory to where neck ties, but collars must still be warn.

It seems to have worked like reverse psychology now every one seems to wear suits.

:D

• Advertisement

im not entirely sure why so many people seem to be against some sort of a dress code. after all, its not as if it stiffles your creative juices is it?
    surely being able to present a clean and presentable workforce is more important than someone being able to wear a pair of shorts ito work 'because they want to'......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

Originally posted by WhiteWashMan
    to me, its just a matter of being more professional in my approach to work. when you meet a new client, who knows if they will judge me on the way i look, or on who i am, but im not going to take the risk to be honest.

Of course, you're asdsuming there that turning up in a suit is all positive and can't have negative effects too. :D

- Kevin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

im not entirely sure why so many people seem to be against some sort of a dress code. after all, its not as if it stiffles your creative juices is it?

Depends on the type of job you do really IMO. I'd say specifically creative jobs light graphics design for example could be restricted by what you wear, and also the environment you're in.

- Kevin

Originally posted by p

Of course, you're asdsuming there that turning up in a suit is all positive and can't have negative effects too. :D

- Kevin

if i am meeting a client, he will expect me to be professional, and i will expect him to be professional, and therefor we will both wear suits.
    if i turn up in a tracksuit, i will not do business with anyone. thats just business.
    its not a case of being all positive, its a case of not giving a negative imression.

Originally posted by p

Depends on the type of job you do really IMO. I'd say specifically creative jobs light graphics design for example could be restricted by what you wear, and also the environment you're in.

- Kevin[/B]

your enviroment effects your work no matter what.
    for example, i dont like conducting work down a well, or on a busy motorway.
    however, why do you think your work is restricted by not dressing like a slob? surely its a matter of comfort and personal taste?
    if a graphic designer wants to turn up in a suit, will his creativity be restricted?

thats a silly argument. it doesnt depend on the job, it depends on the person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

I work in a small company where I meet clients on a regular basis. My boss has no objection to my eyebrow or ear piercings and didn't bat an eyelid when I dyed my hair pink. I wear whatever I'd usually wear...baggy flares, tshirts and runners or skirts and Docs...nobody notices. Those of us who work nights, too, wear tracksuit bottoms and slippers and bring our hot water bottles.

If you're polite, enthusiastic and thoroughly competent it is my experience that no one gives a damn what you wear. This is the only job where I haven't had to remove piercings etc. during work, and it is by far and away the best job I have ever had. The atmosphere is terrific because everyone has flexibility and freedom in all aspects of the work.

As long as you are clean and sweet-smelling, I believe you should be free to dress any way you please in all positions (with the exception of the food industry, where for health and safety reasons, certain restrictions should apply.)

• Advertisement
Advertisement