Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing a car from the North

Options
  • 25-03-2003 11:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, I noticed I can get a 2nd hand car for €8000 up the north, as opposed to about 10 grand here in the Republic.

But is the import tax and changing plates going to be a killer? Has anyone any experience with that, what sort of price would you be looking at to import the car?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

etho_, the lads over on the motors board will have a better idea on this so I'll move it there

You will end up paying VRT (not sure about VAT) on the current value (?) as assessed by the Revenue Commissioners. I think the VRT charge will include any registration fee, but you would have to physically buy new plates. Most of the time importing secondhand from the UK doesn't work and I suspect this is one of these cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

See here

There is an online form you can fill out to give you an idea of what you're looking at, but the final cost will be after they take your car and inspect it for condition, extras etc...

I was looking at this option recently, but after the quote it was working out way to expensive.

There is word that the EU trade council have warned the government that VRT is against EU regulations.

I live in Dundalk so there was no question of not VRT'ing it as the customs are always on the look out, you might be OK if you're further down the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I'm in Drogheda, the customs officials came to our house a few years ago when my dad was down with his northern reg car... :(

I filled out that form, haven't heard back from them yet. I don't think i'll work out cheaper now at all! Especially as it's a 1.3 jeep

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I heard that if you take off some of the "fancy" extras you could reduce the OMSP - but be careful doing this.

Advertisement