Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

• 25-03-2003 2:59pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Had a good look at one of these last night

Nokia 3650

Very nice bit of kit way better then the 7650, loads of nice features and definatly an indication of the way phones will be going. It make the 7650 look like a prototype....

The key pad is a bit annoying though (circular...)

Video capture is cool and image quality is very good

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭madmoe

Gettin' one on Moday :) Can't wait 2 get the mits on it! Has anybody got one yet? Feedback please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

there isn't much middle ground in the design of the phone - pretty much a love it / hate it response from most people - if you can handle the form factor (design / size) and keypad layout it's a great handset with lots of features - and a flexible OS with loads of 3rd party applications available for it

it's not really fair to slag off the 7650 against the 3650 - they are designed for different groups of people - in hardware terms it's more advanced but that's what 10 months between their announcements (7650 Nov '01, 3650 Sep '02) will get you - (differences discussed here) - wait another 10 and you are likely to get a better handset than the 3650

personally, not being a huge texter / gamer the keypad puts me off (and being a little (*cough* ;)) outside their target age group may also be a factor!!) - it did feel a bit big in the hand - but it's not aimed at the likes of me - so if you're "young and trendy" you'll probably love it :)

3650_cebit03_device.ie.jpg

not being able to play stereo in the headset (dual mono only) was one negative point i had against it - but at least you can cram an album or so onto a 128MB MMC memory card (a popular MP3 player is MP3Go)

enjoy your new phone monday :) - do use the headset when you can out and about (particularly in town) - this will probably be top of the scum-bag-phone-snatcher 'shopping' list :(

BrianG

Brian,
    U mean use the headset when out in town to hide the phone/keep it out of sight outof mind kinds thing? Thankfully I'm living in Galway and its not so bad for phone robbery, yet!However I'm gonna keep it under wraps pretty much and only show it to friends etc. I heard that one of the guys that won it on Nokia game this year (he was from Dublin) got it robbed off him on the bus on the way out of town, now how ****ty is that :(

Thanx for all the feedback by the way. Is that MP3 player free, do u know? As well does the headset come as standard with the phone? I have been reading a few reviews and all seem to say that it is not possible to send photos to the PC via Bluetooth, this was gonna be one of the coolest features of the phone for me. I hope its not true??

B good

hi - yeah just to keep you wits about you with it

the Series 60 MP3 players i've seen out there so far are commercial so would have to be paid for. you can check out a trial version, on www.my-symbian.com Series 60 Section go to Downloads and searching for MP3 brings back two

not sure what they put in the retail package for over here, in some territories it's contained a regular headset (one ear) - people were using a HDD-1 (like the one that came with the 8310) to listen in dual mono to MP3's - let us know what your box contains

some were reporting that they couldn't disable the phone's loudspeaker even when the HDD-1 headphones were plugged in using MP3Go - others didn't have any problems though

on the Bluetooth side of things - it would depend on the Bluetooth adapter used on the computer and/or how up-to-date it's drivers are - but with the right set-up you can either send an image directly from the images viewer on the phone or by connection over the PC Suite accessing them through the image transfer function

BrianG

Brian,
    You are a fountain of information :) I'll let u know what comes with it sometime Monday! I'm sure someone will develop a FREE MP3 player at some stage, its only a matter of time I guess. After shelling out all the yo yo's I did for the phone I'm not gonna buy anything for it for a wile, except maybe some sort of protective cover. I've seen people with clear plastic covers for other phones, just wondering if u knew any good ones for 3650, I like the look of them? I'm also a little concerned about the lens at the back and it getting scratched etc. Any ideas 'oh he of great knowledge' :)

• Advertisement

hi - haven't seen any cases like that for the 3650 (yet) - the only one currently on the Nokia site looks like a handbag!

enhancements_cse_10_pop.jpg

you might have some luck turning one up on the Symbian / 3650 site forums:

AllAboutSymbian 3560 Forum
    My-Symbian Series 60 (includes 3650) Forum
    Nokia6550.net Forum

that was was one good point of the 7650 design - the lens being protected when closed

BrianG

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 468 ✭✭trap4

Madmoe, I'm looking forward to your review after you've had a chance to play with the phone.

If you don't mind me asking, where did you purchase? I was this close to ordering from Expansys a few weeks ago but then I read somewhere that they should be available on contract here in early May. But it's absolutely killing me waiting for it :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭stereo_steve

I've had a 3650 for about a month now. Must say its a great phone. Its a real improvement over the 7650. Same operating system but Nokia has added in all the features that should have been in the 7650.

+triband
    +supports MMC cards
    +support for bluetooth audio
    +support for video - I have an entire episode of southpark on mine at themoment

THe only flaw is the keypad, takes a while to get used to. I can write text messages fast now but it took a while and for games the keypad is terrible.

People complain about it being bulky but its not really at all. Its ALOT smaller looking and feeling than the 7650.

All in all though its excellant. I couldn't go back to my old phone( or any other for that matter! Hope that helps!

no matter how anyone describes the size / form-factor of the 3650 it definately isn't small ;)
    Its ALOT smaller looking and feeling than the 7650
    i'd use the 7650 mostly in the closed position checking mail / browsing / on a call / carrying it - the 3650 looks and feels bigger than a closed 7650 (height and width)

in a choice between Series 60 handsets, would personally hold off for the Siemens SX1 over the 3650

it's got a 64k colour screen, smaller form factor, stereo audio and built in FM radio - also liked the cable option for those without bluetooh / infrared - the number keypad design is querky (but no more querky than the 3650 ;))

siemens_sx1_cebit03_devices.ie.jpg

BrianG

Originally posted by DubWireless

in a choice between Series 60 handsets, would personally hold off for the Siemens SX1 over the 3650

BrianG

'hold off'........ 'HOLD OFF'.... ?!?!?! Brian, do you know how long I've been 'holding off'......

Ok, I've got a problem. I need to get help :p:D;)

• Advertisement

'hold off'........ 'HOLD OFF'.... ?!?!?! Brian, do you know how long I've been 'holding off'......
    lol :D

fair enough - sometimes the bullet has to be bit or no one would ever buy a new techie device waiting for the next one to be launched :)

BrianG

Brian,
    Got my 3650, fell in love from the get go!! Camera is wicked, Camcorder too, love the loudspeaker, its the bizz.

I was wondeirng if you could recommend a Bluetooth adapter that WORKS properly with the 3650? Also where is the best place to buy it? Wanna get some cool ringtones into it ASAP as it didn't come with anything special :( Wanna install MP3GO and a few more bits and pieces as well.

Cheers

@TRAP4
    I love the 3650, was expecting it to be big and bulky but thankfully it is none of this, had a 3310 before and its actually lighter than it, when in my pocket it is unobtrusive. I and others were surprised how light it is! Love the big bright screen, no scrolling to read text messages!

Keypad definitely takes geting used to, I find texting is better using two thumbs but am still slow enough, its not even a week since I got it so plenty of time to come back up to previous speed. Playing games is a pain though, my fingers are big and there is not enough space between the directional pad and the number 0 and number 1 keys :(

Find myself using the loudspeaker a lot, just think its very good and something new to me. Battery so far has gone down quick enough, then again I've been playing with it pretty much non stop.

As regards navigation/menus they are a breeze very intuative and user friendly. I notice phone can be a bit slow to go into menus sometimes though. Have had to turn off once or twice when things got very sluggish, which wasn't the best.

Did I forget anything?

Originally posted by madmoe
    Did I forget anything?

Yes, where did you buy it :p

Seriously though great review! Check AllAboutSymbian for some recent discussions about bluetooth dongles. You'll find some on expansys.com too AFAIK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

I was in the carphone warehouse on sunday, and they had one in the shop for sale sim free..........€479!

Very good price!
    rabbit

Good price indeed! I reckon they might be cheap enough initially, what do u guys reckon? Nokia are shipping them worldwide now, doubt they will be on the Networks here for a while though?

I could see O2 bringing it out very soon, they released the 7250/5100/6100 last week and i was in a vodafone shop yesterday and they didnt even know what they were?
    sean

Typical Vodafone!! O2 in the UK have all three of those on sale now as well as 3650!! 3650 is not available on pay as u go though, cheap at 124.99 Sterling for a contract, 182 yo yo's.

Vodafone UK have it for 149.99, 218 yo yo's, not available on pay as you go either with Voda UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

Originally posted by rabbitinlights
    I could see O2 bringing it out very soon, they released the 7250/5100/6100 last week and i was in a vodafone shop yesterday and they didnt even know what they were
    As far as I know, Vodafone Ireland have no plans to sell the 6100 or the 7250 so the people in the shop wouldn't know anything about them.

I wonder why they arent bringing them out?
    I thought vodafone of all people would have every phone nokia every made available?
    Its not as if there crappy phones?
    Do you know why?

• Advertisement

@rabbitinlights
    Voda and O2 are selling them in the UK now so it is very likely they will be out here soon. It would make no sense why they are selling in UK and not in Ireland. Just give it time I guess?

Which one u going to get? U like 6800?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

Do you know why?
    The reason for not selling them at the moment is that there is no demand for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

does anyone know just why exactly it takes the irish networks so long to approve newly-released phones? by the time they approve them you can get a newer/better one sim-free!

Im the proud owner of a 7250, It will keep me going till i get my hands on the 6800, ive seen the 6800 in the flesh and its amazing,
    does anyone know where to get some good apps for the 7250?
    rabbit

6800 is cool enough but I would stick with 7250, it has a camera, the other doesn't! Then again maybe u can afford both :), lucky git!

Originally posted by madmoe
    Brian,
    Got my 3650, fell in love from the get go!! Camera is wicked, Camcorder too, love the loudspeaker, its the bizz.

I was wondeirng if you could recommend a Bluetooth adapter that WORKS properly with the 3650? Also where is the best place to buy it? Wanna get some cool ringtones into it ASAP as it didn't come with anything special :( Wanna install MP3GO and a few more bits and pieces as well.

hi madmoe - glad it to hear you are enjoying it

so long as the adapter supports the Serial Port Profile you can connect to the 7650/3650 PC Suite (if you want to use it as a modem - you need to make sure it can handle the Dial-Up-Networking profile, and for sending items 'ad-hoc' (i.e. not via the PC Suite) to the phone OBEX Push or File Transfer profile) – the adapter should list out the Bluetooth Profile it supports (Serial and DUN are included on most)

two things to watch out for when choosing:

1. Bluetooth drivers / software

as native support on Windows is currently limited (to XP with very few supported profiles) adapters currently ship with drivers and a Bluetooth application to manage conenctions and configurations

the most popular is developed by Widcomm and it's the best out there, some adapter vendors will enhance the interface to brand / make it easier to use, others will just ship a generic version - it's used by TDK, MSI, Billington, Belkin, Mavin, and several others (it can also be made to work with other adapters - but that can involve a bit of tinkering around in .cab and driver files for those adapters that don't support it natively)

2. Vendor support / updates

the level of support offered by the adapter vendor, so make sure to check out their site to see that they offer driver updates / faq etc.

so for a recommendation

the TDK is my preference mainly for the support and enhancements they make to the software, they really put in a big effort to try and make the Bluetooth 'experience' easier for their customers with regular updates (they are usually first to publish the latest Widcomm system), they also make 'helper apps' for connection to Symbian devices (7650/3650/P800). however, you pay for all these 'extras' as the TDK adapter is one of the more expensive available

the MSI one would do the job fine but without all the extra features offered by TDK, so if cost is key then maybe this would be an better alternative. it has the same chipset and offers the same Widcomm based application (but you don't get the extras TDK offer and their current software stack is a version earlier - but that's not a big issue if all you want to do is use the PC Suite and send items to the phone)

i usually get my BT adapters/cards from eBay Stores or Expansys, but Komplett appear to have the MSI one at a good price at the moment (not sure how much theri shipping costs are) - The Corinthian and smiles have it up and running with the 7650's PC Suite - the 3650 is effectively using the same connection system (via mRouter)

another factor that came up once with someone i was helping out - they had a metal desk with the desktop under it - to it was acting as a shield to their keyring type usb adapter plugged direct in teh back, the TDK model is cable based so you get a small length (mainly fir use in a laptop) and an extension cable - which allows you to place the adapter at desk level (if the PC is underneath) - it comes with 'holders' you can stick to your monitor or laptop lid and the adapter slips into them - but can be solved with a USB extender cable

if you have any hassles - post and you'll get help

and for any Mac heads out there OS X 10.2 has native Bluetooth Support - although iSync isn't (yet) interoperable with Symbian based devices (keeping the fingers crossed the P800 will be soon) and there are no Mac versions of the PC Suites - but you can send items to install and use the dial-up/data modem capabilities of the phones over Bluetooth no problem - and SMS / Dial direct from address book for the 7650 works a treat (P800 doesn't though for me) - the latest update 10.2.5 improved support / stability for the Bluetooth connections to the 7650 and P800

Apple 'recommend' the D-Link adapter but I've had it working with the Windigo, Mavin and TDK so far - should be getting a white Windigo one next week :) which won't take away from the look of the iBook as much as the blue one does at the moment :()

hth,
    BrianG

Im the proud owner of a 7250, It will keep me going till i get my hands on the 6800, ive seen the 6800 in the flesh and its amazing

it's a nice concept but not convinced about it's execution - the way the keyboard folds out it's not like each side was resting flat against the desk - so putting pressure down on the left side caused the right side to move up (bit of a sea-saw situation) - it works fine as a thumb board though - but would think most people who look at it will expect it to be a fully functioning keyboard - good to see a 'real' (pop/imap/smtp) e-mail client integrated into it's System Software

it was a little wide for me shape wise

6800_cebit03_devices.ie.jpg

but the square screen to allow 90 deg. rotation and the keyboard hinges required that kind of form factor

6800_open_cebit03_devices.ie.jpg

Nokia are running a competition until June to win one - more info here

BrianG

@DubWireless
    Brian, I really appreciate you taking the time to explain all the Bluetooth options available for connecting 3650 to the PC :)

I was thinking you must have been away or something cause I didn't see any posts from you in a while!

B good!

Advertisement