Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Win2k Profiles Corrupt problem

• 25-03-2003 3:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 410 ✭✭

Ok, ive had this a few times, and sometimes i can recover from it, other times not.

So, the problem goes that after i reset, or shutdown the pc, the next time i turn it on and log on, it tells me that the profile appears to be corrupt, and is loading a temp profile. This happened this morning. I went in to the temp profile, then reset (start, shut down, reset), then loged on with my original profile, and it was fine.

However, this has happened before, and i tried the above, and nothing, it just stayed adamant that it was corrupt. Scandisk turned up nothing.

I have looked around the net the last time this happened, and the only thing i found was to make a new profile, and copy all the stuff from your old one to the new one.

Has anyone else had this problem?? Has anyone found a solution to it, besides the crap one i mentioned above.

I did start a defrag of my disk this morning when i had loged in, it looked fairly fragmented in the analysis. I'll get Partition Magic to do a scan of it this afternoon aswell, just in case.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 410 ✭✭Drazhar

Anyone??? No??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

You could do a dirty reinstall, or reformat....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 932 ✭✭✭yossarin

what windows are you using ?

if 98 or ME you can try to do a run scanreg - its a registry checker tool.

sounds like you have a registry problem
    a quick and dirty fix (IF thats the problem):
    revert to an older verison of the reg. (before the problem occoured). try "scanreg /restore" on a command line and pick a date before the computer was broken in the dialog that comes up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

try running sfc

(system file checker).

scanreg is a (windows 9x) util only.

A profile... hmm... sounds like your box might be trying to log you into a domain.... or perhaps your user account isn't properly set up on the system as a poweruser or admin.

mais oui

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

and isn't it scanregw on 98?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

have a look at your event viewer, control panel/ admin tools/ event viewer

see is anything peculiar is goin in there with your HD I\O

didi you chech for ciruses with latest definitions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 410 ✭✭Drazhar

1. Its Win2k

2. I dont have any viruses, i dont have it connected to the net, and anything i download is checked.

3. This is not a unique event. I did find a site on which a guy was having the same problems

4. It first happened to the built in Administrator profile, well first since my reformat and clean install at christmas

5. "A profile... hmm... sounds like your box might be trying to log you into a domain.... or perhaps your user account isn't properly set up on the system as a poweruser or admin."
    -- hmmm, im pretty sure it aint logging onto anything but itself, and by pretty sure, i mean that monkeys will fly outta my ass before thats the problem, but tanx for your suggestion, i did leave out that it was standalone in my initial description.

so, no-one else has ever had this, hmmmmm--(much rubbing of the chin)--mmmmm

oh well, just grin and bear it till unix can handle all games on the face of the planet.

just a thought, could my PC be shutting down too fast, ie when Win2k is shutting down it saves your settings, and i assume has some checksum method of making sure that its the your profile is the same when you log on the next time. So what if the system (hardware) shuts down its power before the OS has a chance to write, or not finish writing the checksum/whatever.
    Just an idle thought that jumped in there.

Advertisement