Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Line Of Sight, essential ?

• 25-03-2003 3:18pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Is line of sight essential for long range wireless networks. I would like to setup a wireless network between three houses. Each are about 5 km's away from each other. Is this too far ? Would I need line of sight ? Iv'e read it depends alot on power output and all that. Is there a way of testing if I can get a signal between the two houses using equipment of some sort ?

I know a guy who set's up Chorus TV around my area, he might have some such equipment.

Sorry if I'm vague, I really don't know much about wireless.

Slaanesh.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

From what you have said here you will need LOS, you can up the power to try push through the obsticals but you may cook some unsuspecting person who gets in the way....

Whats in the way anyway?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭peterd

Originally posted by Slaanesh
    Is line of sight essential for long range wireless networks.
    LOS is essential especially for long range links. If you're looking at linking nodes within 100m, you can usually get through a few walls e.g. in a building, but for long range links, you would want LOS for an ideal connection, otherwise, the only way of finding out is physically testing a link.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭irishguy

you need LOS for nearly all distances i have a link going 110feet and i need an antenna [a bit of cable cut to 1 wave length] i have this poking out my roof, it wont go through my roof otherwise.but i get a perfect signal.if you need more help try www.irishwan.org or on irc:
    irc.irishwan.org
    port 6667
    #irishwan
    #midwestwan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

you wont get anything close to that distance without line of sight plus a few percent for the fresnal zone. Increasing the power won't do any good unless you're just a couple of hundred metres away,

try the irishwan forums http://www.irishwan.org/board, you may be able to borrow equipment to test signal between locations. Even if you don't have line of sight from your top floor, you may if you are going from 5 foot above the top of both chimneys. If you don't have line of sight from pole height, you've no chance unless you can go through another site you both can see,
    Greg

Advertisement