Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK & Ireland - Difference between take home

• 25-03-2003 5:01pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Lads

A query if anyone could help

I was wondering the difference between take home pay in Ireland and the UK.

If I got paid in the month:

http://www.esatclear.ie/~grabe/TaxCalc/TaxCalc.html

EUR2052 - Gross
    EUR1743 - Net

Now I found a site in the UK for tax calculation:
    http://www.taurus.ie/tax/

Stg2052
    Stg1,537.74

So going on this you are taking less home a month in the UK than in Ireland??

Anyone

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

the UK one looks to be correct, but im not sure about the irish one.
    for the same salary in ireland, it says im paying half the tax, even though the irish tax is twice as much.

still, sterling is worth more :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭williamb

Yes, surreal as at it may sound (especially to those of us who were paying tax here in the 80's), it's fair to say that income tax for most individuals is lower in the Republic than in the UK. I just ran my details thru the Irish one and it's accurate to within about 30 euros a month.

Don't forget, the total government tax take here is one of the lowest (possibly the lowest) in the EU. This of course is not unconnected to the state of the health service,the transport system, the education system, etc, but that's a seperate issue.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

So if you a like with like regardless of the difference because if you are earning 25k donouts in Ireland and 25k Donouts in UK, you are taken home more in Ireland?

WWM - As far as car tax, insurance, just off the top of your ceann what would u be paying.

Just to a like with like, What sort of rent are you paying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

ok, im in sales (god forgive me) and i take home 26k a year basic.

in the uk, i take home about 1620 a month. i am on the lower tax band (it gfoes up at about 32k or something here instead of 18-19 in ireland) however, personal allowences etc are lower here.

it appears you do get more in ireland after tax etc, however, if you are after information that will help you decide between which country you want to live in then i guess theres a few things that will help.

private health insurance is more expensive in uk. but, the NHS isnt as bad as the say, and everything is pretty much free, including doctors visits and prescriptions are very very cheap compared to ireland.

car taxis about 150 a year for my car, which is a eunos roadster. in other words its a jap import mx-5.
    insurance on this baby is outrageous, mostly because its an import (hikes your price up) and because im counted as a new driver in the country even though ive had my licence for a number of years. my insurance on a two seater convertable is 1500 quid a year fully comprehensive.
    oh, and i hit someone last year, so that includes a price hike for that as well, it was 1200 last year!
    if i jumped into a astra or a focus or something, my insurance would be about 400 a year.

cost of rent. i live in the south east near guildford. its pretty much one of the most expensive places in the country outside of london. prices are aon a par with Dublin for rental and buying.
    i have a 2 bedroom appartment for 750 a month which is pretty cool.
    however, you do have to pay council tax, another 1000 a year and water, 200 a year. so it canbe expensive. although, if you are renting a room, it will be split between a number of people so it is managable.

cost of overall living?
    cheap.
    go to a wetherspoons pub and buy beer for abut 1.50 a pint.
    food is cheap.
    in fact the only thing more exensive is cigarettes and petrol.
    its sunnier here too :)
    and broadband is only 27 quid a month :)

pound for pound, or pound for euro, your money is worth more in england. oh, did i mention better transport as well?
    and roads.

tbh, i have never hidden the fact that i couldnt wait to get out f ireland and its the best thing ive ever done. life is better over here as far as im concerned.

and you know what the best thing is.
    there are no tracksuit knackers. no matter where you go in ireland, they are there. you really have to search hard here to find that level of scumminess.

which is nice.....

mind you, my view is biased, but the fact is that cost of livinging is a lot cheaer, and pay is higher in england.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

WWM - Thanks for that, it is the other half I am trying to convince so I need all the ammo I can get!! :D

Much appreciated

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,464 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by yop
    If I got paid in the month:

http://www.esatclear.ie/~grabe/TaxCalc/TaxCalc.html

EUR2052 - Gross
    EUR1743 - Net

Now I found a site in the UK for tax calculation:
    http://www.taurus.ie/tax/

Stg2052
    Stg1,537.74
    As someone said you need to compare donoughts with donoughts. EUR2052 (Gross) ~= STG£1386.

Advertisement