Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black Screen

• 25-03-2003 6:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭

After being on the phone with dell and not getting anywhere hope some1 may be able to help.

Operating System: Windows XP
    Pen.4 2g
    256mb

PROBLEM:"The computer will stay running and the monitor is still on but the screen just went blank (Black Screen)" The above has happened to me 5 times in the space of a month and a half.
    These are the steps i have taken and what i think the problem might have been.

1.Monitor> the monitor light stays green so it hasent gone into power save mode, also i know its not the monitor because i have recently change my monitor form my dell 17" to a flat screen and i still have the above problem.

2.Computer> The computer stays running coz the power light stays on, so does the hd light and fan is still on.

3.I thought it might be a overheating problem but its only after happening in the last month and a half. Also the last time this problem happened the computer was only on for about 5min. Ive tested my cpu and its ok.

4.Connections> all the connections are in perfect condition they havent been damaged. Ive checked all connections to see if there loose or broke.

5. OS> I have just reinstalled my operating system to see if that would help my problem but its been 3 days since i did that and the problem returned. Ive also updated all my dirvers.

6. Upgrades> All the parts in my computer are the original parts i have not upgraded anything.

Any help would be greatfull. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 repoman

man i thought i was the only one with this problem , i had it awhile ago , i swapped the monitor over no problems then swapped it back no problems for ages until about half an hour ago the screen just turned black computer is still on my download has stopped because the lights on my rounter are not flickering so i know my download has stopped.
    All of my power management is on NEVER , man i just don;t know what;s coursing this problem , any help would be appreceiated.
    thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

Only time i got this was when i had hard disk turn off after X amount of minutes. It wouldn't awaken no matter what i did. I just set the never use powersave off in windows and in the BIOS.
    However this doesnt sound like the same problem as to what i had.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

Only time i got this was when i had hard disk turn off after X amount of minutes. It wouldn't awaken no matter what i did. I just set the never use powersave off in windows and in the BIOS.
    However this doesnt sound like the same problem as to what i had.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭str8_away

Does this happen only when you are online or when you are offline aswell?
    Could it be some kind of attack?

Advertisement