Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Popular uprising in Basra...?

Options
  • 25-03-2003 8:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

It only been reported in the last hour so it could all
    be a puff of smoke but hopefully not...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/2886235.stm
    A spokesman in Kuwait has said there appeared to be some form of civilian revolt taking place, but as yet there is no independent confirmation of the report.
    According to military intelligence officials, Iraqi troops in the city have turned mortar fire on their own civilians in an attempt to crush the unrest.
    Journalist Richard Gaisford, who is with the Royal Scots Dragoon Guards just outside Basra, says the British troops are bombarding the mortar positions in an effort to support the uprising.
    He told the BBC he could hear a number of large explosions inside the city.

Mike.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Intresting. That story replaced this one.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/2884769.stm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Originally posted by daveirl
    Interesting how it's happened on the first day with no real gains elsewhere!

The port at Umm Qasr is secure
    this time (!) and aid will be comming through just as soon as the Austrialians have cleared the mines.

Also the bridges at Nasiriya are secure.

This from BBC -
    Iraq's main Shia Muslim opposition group, the Tehran-based Supreme Council of the Islamic Revolution in Iraq, says it can confirm a popular rebellion among the Shia population of Basra. Saddam Hussein's regime is dominated by members of the Sunni Muslim faith.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Jake303

Originally posted by mike65

Also the bridges at Nasiriya are secure.

This from BBC -

Mike.

I would Imagen that youll find that Nasiriya and its bridges are far from secure if the evidence of southern Iraq is anything to go by..................
    Personally I give all stories 48 before Ill even consider them as being bassed in fact, the term "fog of war" springs to mind!

Originally posted by Jake303
    I would Imagen that youll find that Nasiriya and its bridges are far from secure if the evidence of southern Iraq is anything to go by..................
    Personally I give all stories 48 before Ill even consider them as being bassed in fact, the term "fog of war" springs to mind!

Well the US army have been putting armoured
    divisons across the river and are now about 60 miles
    from Baghdad...I guess they could be making it all up.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by mike65
    Well the US army have been putting armoured divisons across the river and are now about 60 miles from Baghdad...I guess they could be making it all up.
    You don't actually need to cross the river to be within 60 miles of Baghdad. The Americans have been using the Euphrates to protects their right flank.

You don't actually need to cross the river to be within 60 miles of Baghdad. The Americans have been using the Euphrates to protects their right flank.

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/mapshells/middle_east/iraq/iraq.htm

The US are in a three-pronged advance, one on the west of the Euphrates and two between that river and the Tigris so I would suggest that you'd need to cross at
    Nasiriya. Yes its true you dont have to cross to get to Baghdad, but it would be a one-demensional
    attack if they did'nt.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dathi1

Well the US army have been putting armoured divisons across the river and are now about 60 miles from Baghdad...I guess they could be making it all up.
    They’ve been 60 miles (Dublin to Arklow) and closing towards Baghdad for the last 2 days. Either they're stopped or doing 1 mile an hour.
    I think the 2-day summit at camp david will be crucial for the next advance.

Actually Arklow is 44 miles from Dublin.

I note today an Al Jazeera commentator inside Basra says he see's no evidence at all of a popular uprising and that the people are full square behind Sadam:rolleyes: That was from the today programme on radio 4 this morning.
    mm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Samara

I personally think it was more a peaceful protest that the Iraqi soldiers fired mortars to disperse the crowd. I don't think there was any real uprising in the real sense of the word. Here's the latest update at from skynews - nothing new to add really http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30000-12275867,00.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement