Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O2 or Vodafone?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭donaloconnor

Originally posted by carrotcake
    nice one for that. people won't think i'm a cheap b*stard anymore!

Exactly what it was designed for :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Lorax

Meteor !!!!!!!!!!!
    mainlogo.gif
    http://www.meteor.ie/

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

I was with Digifone. Crap Customer Service, crap coverage half the time. Refused to do me a decent upgrade deal so went to Vodafone. We bit more expensive but I get call a friend for free minutes which is really good. So far Customer Service has been way ahead of o2. I guess everyone has their own tales to tell about all 3 operators.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

I've sampled both Digifone/O2 and Eircell/Vodafone, and in the whole, Vodafone rocks.

I was with Digifone originally, as they had middling coverage back home, whereas Eircell didnt. So that was fine in Dublin, but far from ideal back in North Co. Meath. That was fine for 3 years, then Eircell improved that other people around home dumped their Speakeasys for Ready to Go like a hot spud. Shortly after that, I joined Eircell and have never looked back. Perfect reception almost everywhere. I feel O2 are very patchy off the main roads, whereas Vodafone's coverage is excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Emmo

Well both o2 and Vodafone both have the same population and Geographical coverage. Hence the adds saying "best coverage in Ireland"

The two operators both are very competitive in pricing with o2 being better for ringing the competition than vice versa.

The only way to tell the two apart is the customer service which o2 have won best in practice for 3 years runninng.

FMNP will be release on in late July.

Emmo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Realistically both are the same! I have had 4 different 02 accounts and 3 vodafone numbers and 2 meteor numbers, both prepaid and pay monthly.

I have had bad experiences with all of them! The best way to decide is to narrow down what type of calls you make most frequently!! If you send loads of text messages, use Meteor!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Didn't realise until the other day I can text ANY MOBILE PHONE IN THE WORLD for free from o2.ie when you are registered online.

You get 500 messages a month, only useful if your on the net a lot but most people in work are now.

I text a scotland number a lot it costs 25 cent per message with vodafone, so say i sent 50 - 100 messages a month that adds up quite quickly!!!

Just thought I'd let you know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

at the moment for personal use i'd use vodafone mainly for voice (due to their friends for free number as I'd be calling another 087 no. a lot). i'd use o2 mainly for (gprs) data as their range of packages work out a lot cheaper than vodafone's single option

on the customer service side - on the whole i find o2 better than vodafone

on quality/reception - don't find much of a difference (located mostly in dublin)

BrianG

If you are a massive user it is important to analyse both companies monthly options in alot of detail against an average phone bill that you get. If you barely use the phone its makes feck all difference. As for customer service wise, I find O2's friendlier but just a little bit less up to speed.

Vodafone are definetly ahead of O2 when it comes to launching new services and standards. They have pulled of a number of firsts in this country and Europe (WAP, HSCSD, GPRS, MMS......) including the new 3G network that is currently in operation. O2 tend to wait for Vodafone to do something and then launch a few months later (they tend to learn from Vodafone's mistakes and not make them however). The perfect example was when Eircell launched the E-Merge site, it took a few months for then Esat to develop DOL.ie, and make it more appealing with 500 free messages a month. Another was when Vodafone annouched free picture messaging just before Christmas, O2 later responed to that by doing the same. Now they are copying the Vodafone Live menu with the O2 Active service. Dont mean to sound petty, but there is consistent evidence of this occuring.

So if you want cutting edge, Vodafone is the best option. Mind you I am a geek and work for Vodafone's tech support team. Mind you, I do hate working there!!!!

Hmmmmm

Is it about who does it first or who does it best?

I dont know if I want a service that is patchy and lacklustre when I can get a more complete service at a more resonanble price when better handsets become available.

Its all about cost vs speed vs quality

Getting a balance of all three is the key. Vodafone might get it there with more speed but with less quality and more cost.

o2 tend to deliver a great product at the right price a little slower which I belive is the RIGHT time.

Emmo

• Advertisement

Originally posted by jesus_thats_gre
    So if you want cutting edge, Vodafone is the best option. Mind you I am a geek and work for Vodafone's tech support team. Mind you, I do hate working there!!!!

Vodafone tend to get their press releases out 'first'

on consumer accounts here I was able to send MMS on O2 before I could on Vodafone (who launced Live here a few days later) and I was able to use full Interent GPRS on O2 before I could on Vodafone (who only limited the service to WAP for months before allowing full internet access) - and when they did you paid thought the nose for the privlidge (compard to O2s GPRS price plans)

you left out WiFi access points which O2 have rolled out (Vodafone dont yet offer offer them)

so if by firsts you mean Vodafone announced them first - sure - but the ability of consumers to use them has, in some cases, put them second

atb,
    BrianG

Wi-Fi hotspots are a valid point, but this is not the business that Vodafone or O2 are in. In my opinion, O2 have launched this with the help of Esat BT who have also introduced the service (coincidently around the exact same time i think). Mind you, Vodafone are introducing such a service soon, I personally dont see the point in Wi-Fi hotspots unless it is tied in with a companies main data products such as GPRS. The ability to patch up areas without hotspots with GPRS while roaming between WiFi hotspots through GPRS cells. O2 dont offer this, I am thinking Vodafone will but I cant confirm this.

Also, O2's hotspots are still in short supply, there is no point juust offering them in poxy hotels or some fancy apartments in South Co. Dublin.

Regarding all other service you mention, specifically GPRS. The network was the first to be implemented and if officially the first network with a GPRS session carried over it. Mind you I coul dbe a bit off but sure who cares anyway.

O2 and Vodafone are essentially the same, I would be inclined to go with Vodafone because of the fact that they have 100+ millions customer worldwide and worldwide they seem to be so much more organised that O2. Some of the projects they have introduced recently and are in development of now seem very promising to say the least. The recent Instand Messaging service they lauched is very impressive, its possible to use the service using a PC client, Web client, WAP and SMS. Very useful indeed

Also, Eircell still have not been completely Vodafonafied as there is stil alot of changes taking place in the company since the take over. For calls etc.. Vodafone are the best value while O2 offer very competitive GPRS charges. I would be more inclined to use HSCSD over GPRS for browsing the web anyway as it is still faster and is far far cheaper than any GPRS service.

Regarding O2's charging for GPRS, when they initially launched their pricing for GPRS there was "uproar" in Vodafone, the general concensus is that O2 are selling GPRS services at a fair loss (fair played to them, but how long is that practical from a business point of view).

There is also talk that Vodafone are to drop the price of their GPRS and MMS services soon (rumours).

Wi-Fi hotspots are a valid point, but this is not the business that Vodafone or O2 are in.

i've had conversations with some T-Mobile US people who'd disagree (wholeheartedly) with you :)
    Also, O2's hotspots are still in short supply, there is no point juust offering them in poxy hotels or some fancy apartments in South Co. Dublin.

everything has to start somewhere... i thought i read on the boards Vodafone's 3G network (with it's fan-fare press launch) only has a handful of handsets running on it...

Also, Eircell still have not been completely Vodafonafied as there is stil alot of changes taking place in the company since the take over. For calls etc.. Vodafone are the best value while O2 offer very competitive GPRS charges..

and not all for the good, an example of how a wider group policy affects individual territories is the rollout of the Mobile Connect Card - not a great fit for this country - as it isn't a multi-mode data card, only GPRS, leaving HSCSD out in the cold...
    I would be more inclined to use HSCSD over GPRS for browsing the web anyway as it is still faster and is far far cheaper than any GPRS service.

that would, as you know, depend what you are doing on the connection, for me it would be the other way around (i.e. GPRS used mostly)
    Regarding O2's charging for GPRS, when they initially launched their pricing for GPRS there was "uproar" in Vodafone.

i bet there was!! when Vodafone launched theirs, there was "uproar" in here!! :)
    the general concensus is that O2 are selling GPRS services at a fair loss (fair played to them, but how long is that practical from a business point of view).

maybe while they keep winning new contracts, (i've certainly pointed new customers to them because if it). conversely how long is it practical for Vodafone to charge so much...

although, i'd still like it cheaper, just back from the US where I was using an account with all you could eat GPRS for $30 a month on T-Mobile (it also had the add on of unlimited HotSpot usage for another $30)

atb,
    BrianG

First of all BT did not help o2 at all with the hotspots. This was something that was rolled out in the offices as part of a "wireless workspace" and it was then felt that o2 should commerically push it.

It was launched in "poxy hotels" because the majority of users will be travelling business people, there will be further roll out to customers who can buy accounts with unlimited usage and not have to use prepaid vouchers. Thats called a bussiness model. Something Vodafone Ireland and Eircell know very little about.

The GPRS and Wireless launch is part of o2 ethos, to be best in practice for mobile data. It all ties in together. We have also had the first 3g network in Europe and the second in the world.

Our GPRS network was ready for 9 months before it launched. Lack of handsets delayed the launch but o2 employees where using the service for email and webaccess for months before Vodafone coined the phrase High-speed.

T-Mobile in the states is a great example. Their bussiness models on the WI-FI and cell-data combo's are excellent.

Emmo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

I would ask that all posters refrain from making inaccurate accusations, remain civil to each other and that this does not become a Punch & Judy show between the operators.

Otherwise, I may well be forced to close this thread and start handing out bans.

I stand corrected, I obviously dont know as much as I thought I knew. Doh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭sirlinux

Vodafone GPRS service was up over a year before it was launched, i was on one of the so called trials with a nasty motorola GPRS phone, before O2/digifone i believe, I remember a friend who works for O2 getting GPRS a few months after i got the vodafone trial thing. Vodafone cover all the options with HSCSD and GPRS, yes I agree Vodafone GPRS is to expensive, and also HSCSD always gives me a better connection then GPRS on either network. Vodafone works just about anywhere, which is why id go with them.

If I remember correctly, I was messing around with GPRS two summers ago. I also remember being involved in testing for a six months period of so before that with a poxy motorola thing....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Rorshach

I've spent a number of years with both operators and I'd recommend O2 (my current provider)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Rorshach

Hey Corinthian,

Just to clarify Emmo's comments about who was first with 3G; O2 or Voda:

http://www.manx-telecom.com/mobile/default.asp?id=66

• Advertisement

I think this discussion/petty argument is specifically to do with Vodafone and O2 in Ireland. Dont bring the damned Isle of Man into it, next someone will throw in NTT DoCoMo or Jphone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

And on that note, I think it best to practice euthanasia on this thread...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement