Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disable Call Answering?

Options
  • 25-03-2003 10:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55,519 ✭✭✭✭

I've had a dig through the boards archives for an answer to this, and I've even checked Eircon's site but to no avail.

Is there a code to temporarily disable call answering (like you can disable call waiting?).

A neighbour of mine was having trouble connecting to the internet. I figured out pretty quickly that call answering was his problem, so his temporary workaround is to switch the lines and get to his keyboard within 8 seconds to dial out (before call answering kicks in).

I know eircon can be called to just turn the sh*te off, but he wants the service.

How do you disable it? (Or even extend the delay to something sensible like 20 seconds?)

- Dave.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

#43#

• Registered Users Posts: 55,519 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Thanks, Muck.

- Dave.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,510 ✭✭✭irishgeo

In a releated topic i noticed now that my modem is still able to dial into the internet despite the werid tone you get when you have messages being on.

i thought you couldnt do that and was surprised.

Its nice though as all my messages even seem to be is people hanging up.

i hate when people wait until the beep before they hang up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

A funny noise (instead of dialtone) that warns you when there are messages waiting in your Eircom voicemail can cause grief with modems. Some modems think that it is a Busy Tone and won't dial out. Others will.

It may be turned off in the setup menu for eircom voicemail,
    171 and PIN to get into this ISTR. It will also go if you check your messages before going online.

An audible warning of a new message while on a call (a bip in the background like the call waiting tione but single I think) can cause a connected modem to disconnect. I think that is known as in call notification and may separately be disabled.

Go to this page for audio samples of the sounds and Descriptions of their usage on Eircom analogue lines.

All in all, voicemail and modems do not mix well.

M

Advertisement