Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I do it?!

Options
  • 25-03-2003 10:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭

There are 70 days till the leaving..
    I'm repeating by the way and i need 400 points.. i NEED them! if i dont get them i'll be stuck sumwhere i don't wanna be, doin a course i don't wanna do. I'm lazy when it comes to study.. but it's more to do with the fact that i can't study ( i just get sleepy) so i decided to go bananas for the last 70 days ( i wasn't studying at all previously) and i took up drinking coffee.. i hate it and i'm on my second cup ever! but it works guys!
    See my question is.. if i go crazy on the study can i get 400pts? or is it worth my while..?
    i'm "capable" of getting them.. i was told i could 500 if i put my mind to it from day one.. but couldn't we all!? or maybe it's just too late..
    last year i got 160 teehee.. (ya i know.). see i didnt go in for half the exams.. real attitude problem or sumthing..
    anyhoo.. HELP!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,154 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

I think its very possible to get 400 point if you get your head down NOW!!!! . That means at least 3 hours a day, 6 days a week. This will be hard to do if you're just starting to study but you will have to if you dont want to repeat again.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Flynn

ya think?.. classic..
    well i'm still studying!.. nearly 5 hours now.. but i dunno if anything is going in..
    another set back is i just got in the biology class in january ( twas too full before) so i'm kinda studying all biology which cant be too good for the rest of my subjects..

Dont concentrate on just one subject, its better to do average in every subject then great 1.

P.s if you're starting Biology in January you're screwed, we still haven't finished the coarse fully and I assume most people haven't either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭Seraphina

well im doing biology, we finished the course, and started revising about a month ago

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

I was dancing thru biology class with VERY little study, just did detailed notes.

Was gettting high Cs (around 67%) every test. Then WHAMMO the mocks hit and I failed :confused: . Failed two otehr subjects too. The bricks are-a-fallin' at this stage.

i calculate 170 points. /me shudders *can't... make.. self... clean*

• Advertisement

aw no! ye've done gone and upset me! :(

but i love biology.. i got class notes.. and ive very good ability to learn **** off by heart quickly.. but i forget it after a while hehe
    so ive decided i'm the cramming type..

i didnt get pre-results yet.. but i'm assuming i failed.. i reckon i'll pass actual exam though..
    hmmm..

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

I did the Leaving in '98. Was worried like yourself after ****ing up the mocks, so for the last two weeks I made myself average 8 hours a day.

Get a piece of paper and write down everything that you have to do for each subject...i.e.

English = poems, novel, plays
    German = letter, postcard, blah

..whatever the main topics are anyway....then divide it up first and think how much time you reckon you'll need for each thing..

Then do it.

e.g. You start a 9am till 11:30am doing the Reproductive System in Biology...write that down:

Monday 9-11:30 Bio - Rep Sys (2.5 hours)
    etc, etc..

...and at the end of the day total the hours you studied and be sure that they are over 8.

It may seem a bit extreme...but every day you do it you will feel better and better until eventually you will have covered everything and at least you can see the progress you are making.

In the end I got 440 points, used that studying system all the way through college too(Computer Systems U.L) and its gotten me to a Masters in Music Technology.

Maybe its just a coincidence, but I find it works.

Good luck with it.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

n1 BossArky :).

Just correcting my points mistake, i actually PASSED biology, my points tot-up was just bad :P, still gotta work on the math.

230, I may get a diploma course now :P

Originally posted by Seraphina
    well im doing biology, we finished the course, and started revising about a month ago

Well I got an A1 in the mocks :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭Seraphina

well i dont care :D

• Advertisement

well i do :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Ms Taken

I studied the last week before my leaving cert and got over 400 points, i thought it couldnt be done but maybe i'm just lucky!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Chances are you were in school alot and did homework. Otherwise your telling fibs :)

Doesnt matter how smart someone is, they have to of covered the **** pile known as the leaving cert, when you get the results its best ever. Good party too :D

Unless you did bad :(

no missed thirty something days of school. just learned selected things like in english just learned one poet instead of all 6. i think i was just lucky though because i was set for repeating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Raz

One of the greatest boosts you can give yourself, IMO, is to stop thinking this stuff is hard. IT'S NOT!!!! It's just bloody awkward.
    I'd did my leaving in 2000 and I studied for approx 1 week before the exam. Now maybe I'm a special case but I managed 350pts.

What you need to do is plan.
    Now I don't mean this,

Monday -- [10am -> 12pm -- French] -- [12pm -> 2pm -- maths]
    Tuesday -- [10 -> 12 -- English] -- etc. etc.
    etc.

This is all fine if you can stick sitting down and studying for long periods, but NOT everyone can do this!!!

My advice is at this stage do this,

Look at the sample papers (If you havn't got do your best to get them now!!)

Suss out the layout of the papers. Know what type of questions repeat themselves every year. Know what parts usually give the highest marks.
    {High mark questions give big changes in results!
    If you can get 15 marks in one question then that's almost 3 grade levels up in that paper.}

You should then find what is required to get those high marks, If you have solutions to any papers then look there, if not ask a teacher or someone in your class who's good at the stuff. There's no rules about collaborating!

Then learn all that stuff that's required to get those high marks.

Of course this won't work for everyone and it may not even work for all subjects.
    In maths you may have to answer the small parts before you can move on to the big parts.
    To get around this you'll have to look at entire topics. Bum deal, I know!
    But to make it a bit easier work with the stuff you're already good at, don't try taking on a topic that's you've always had difficulty getting you're head around.
    Ignore that one.
    You don't have to answer everything in the paperm there are choices. All you're doing is making you're choices before the exam starts and not during it.

Again this mighn't work for everyone. I think it'll probably work better for those who can understand things quicker than others around them, but who just don't have the drive to study for long periods.

And one last time, THIS MIGHTN'T WORK FOR EVERYONE!!!!! If you're having trouble with this method in the first couple of days drop it, move on to something better for you.
    This method isn't for getting blindingly brilliant results, it's for getting by respectably. Don't do this, or at least combine it with another approach, if you're looking for over 500pts

And one last piece of advice,

WATCH THE TIME!
    You won't believe how quick it passes!!
    Set a certain amount of time for each question.

Best of luck to everyone this year.

Thanks guys...

Here is my situation to date....

My Pre Results:
    English B3
    Irish D1
    Maths (o) D1
    Engineering D3
    Biology E (39%!)
    Art n/a

Adds up to 190 but when i get art back should be up to 250...(tis one of my better subjects)
    and i could pass that biology exam now cuz of the recent study. so we'll say i got that 1% which bring me up to 295..
    So i need 105 points.. will settle for 395 tho..

English: Happy enough with the B3 but with study i might get a B1

Irish: Well a D1 is pretty crap considering i went to an all irish primary school but i did my irish oral and managed to get a peak at my grade and i got an A2 in that. I'm also getting grinds so i'd say i'd manage a B overall..

Maths: hehe... well my teacher is really crap.:) (really he is).. we only on our 7th chapter and i was one of only three in the class who actually passed the exam.. so with study i'm hoping for an A2..:)

Engineering: hmm i'm fairly sh!te at the theory but i'll ace the practical i'd say.. project still not done! i might scrape a D1 or C3 maybe

Biology: well i got 39% and i'm happy cuz i only joined the class in january which secures a pass for the leaving cert...:)

Art: didn't get it back.. but maybe i got a C hoping for B in L.C.

Now tell me folks am i living in a dream world??
    Or is going from 250 to 400 possible..
    bear in mind i didnt study really.. i just payed attention in class and did homework ( which i know is study) but not compared to what i will be doing for the next 4 weeks...

Oh and to BossArky.. u sed u fuked up the pres but got 440?
    How much did u get in the pre's? please say 250ish!!!

so tell me what ye think.. Can I do it..
    I'm gonna fukkin try anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Raz

Lookin at what you've got there, I'd say you have every possibility.
    Provided you do that study you're thalking about though :)

Arn't you missing a subject there? Or are you only doing 6? I thought 7 was the general amount :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

good luck mate, i think half the students in the country are in the same predicament.

As of tomorrow i'm going full throttle, 5 hours a day for next two weeks.

i got 215 more points in my leaving than in my mocks so you'll be fine

Ms Taken - i got 215 more points in my leaving than in my mocks so you'll be fine

really? so there is hope! your not just making that up are you!?

well done! what did u end up with? if ya dont mind me asking

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭Man U babe

Fair balls to ye! My best mate is repeating in a grind school, studying like a bitch, I got so much sympathy with her. I only went up 20 last year between the mocks and the LC tho. If you're doing bio, they'll have to be nice this year cos of the fuppin joke that was last year.
    Best of luck anyways!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 rangzhi

Well I think even if you have no life for the next few months, It worth it to get where u want because college is the greatest place in the world. When you there you realise what a total waster of **** the leaving cert actually is and what little relevance it has to do with anything you are going to do for the rest of your llife. Oh my god, I hated that school so bad, I think I am drifting from the point now so I will go and get another pint down the pub,

Advertisement