Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could my girlfriend be pregnant?

• 25-03-2003 10:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

My girlfriend and I have had intercourse twice since her last period, she's 16 and I'm 15. The first time was just after she (should have) finished ovulating, the second was last Saturday. She usually has a 26 day cycle, her last period was on February 27th which would mean she should've gotten her period today (according to her 26 day cycle). I know she's only a day late, and as she's young her cycle may still be irregular... it's only been 26 days for three or four months. She had cramps and felt a bit down today, but she didn't bleed. Does this sometimes happen at the start of a period or is a "dry period" a sign of pregnancy or what? I've talked to her about all this but she's as lost as I am (well, not quite... but almost). Either way, could she be pregnant? Is it likely?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Doing a quick maths check you had intercourse a week before she had her period? It is possible afaik that she is pregnant. I won't go into the moralities of not wearing a condom and all that as it would be rather late in doing so and I'm sure you wouldn't want to hear that.

As far as I believe - periods are when the laydee's birth giving instruments reset themselves and start their "readiness" all over again for another moonish cycle. If you have intercourse before the reset (ovulation) you are likely to bear fruits.

However I would love a proper explanation and without using those silly words that I just used.

I would wait a week and then buy a tester thing from the chemists if she hasn't had her period yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

****e, in my worry I forgot to mention contraceptives... condoms were used both times... the first time Durex and the second time Mates ones (the red ones)... just tryin' different kinds to see which ones I prefer.

So yeah, condoms were used... she's only a day late and is still developing so probably still has irregular periods... we had sex after she ovulated so the egg can't have been as strong... both times I got off once or twice during foreplay so the sperm count was probably delapidated... am I worrying over nothing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I'd say from personal experience relax for a day or four, if that is possible. If the condoms split then something should have been done straight away. If it didn't split there is a very very small chance that sperm could have got through. Condoms, remember, also have anti spermicidal oils which kill sperm.

I forgot about the irregular periods. 16 is young to be having sex (if not illegal) and the very fact that you are having sex may be altering the balance of her chemicals.

Go here for some info. http://www.ifpa.ie/about/centres.html It has some phone numbers that may be working, at most they will be on tomorrow. I hope it works out for you.

Yes, it's illegal but that's irrelevant. The condoms didn't split, I checked after the act. We visted the Family Planning centre on Cathal Brugha St. on Friday last to get some advice and because she wanted a prescription for the pill. Anyone else got anything to add? Even just telling someone has kinda relieved me a bit...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

The first week and a bit after a womens period an egg is released that attaches itself to the wall of the uterus (i think) and it stays there for a couple of days. Thats when a women is most likely to get pregnant. After that the egg tears itself away from the wall and starts to move itself out of the body (about a week and a bit before the actual period starts). The bleeding is just the egg leaving the body. Thats about as simple as i can put it.

Whats more than likely is that because she is so young that the fact that she had sex is throwing her cycle off. Especially as she is so young and that she hasn't developed properly yet, that her body is just changing. Tends to happen around that age ;) And now that you think she's pregnant the stress she's feeling will only delay her even more. Cycle's tend to be disrupted for a number of reasons.

Seeing as the condom didn't burst I reckon there's nothing to worry about. Unfortunately pregnancy scares are part and package of a sexual relationship. Just relax and help her to relax. Condoms leak very rarely. They're more likely to fail because they split or burst.

If they haven't come in a week then get the test.

I find the pill to be more of a mind phuck to be honest, simply cos you cannot see the protection. I know it sounds stupid, and I know that the pill is safer than condoms but the fact that you're not wearing anything, and that nothing is stoping the sperm freaks me out. By the way in case you didn't know, the pill stops her from releasing an egg so don't take it before her period. Your GP is the best person to go to for advice on the pill.

• Advertisement

When we went to the family planning clinic we went through the pill and how to take it and stuff with them all there. I think she has a bit of a flu right now 'cos she isn't feeling too well, has a cough, achy joints and felt a bit dizzy today. She's going to see a doctor tomorrow so hopefully it's just the flu and such that's delaying her period.

Thanks a lot guys, but anymore advice etc. would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot guys!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Jackoman

Essentially a woman can get pregnant at any point. Some people will argue that there are certain times that she cant and other times that she has a better chance of getting pregnant. So dont ever think that "she just had her period or is about to so we should be ok." Not true!
    Sometimes they are really late- I have known girls that were 2 weeks late. And the more streesed they get about it the more it puts it off, as stress is a main reason for delayed periods.
    If you are ever unsure about it, and she is not on the pill, the best thing to do is get the morning after pill. It will be effective for up to 72 hours after having sex. But dont grow to rely on it. All these methods have a failure percentage rate.
    If you guys just started having sex, then that would explain all the ways that she feels at the moment. Her body is just getting used to it. I dont know if I would advise that she goes on the pill at her age, coz her body is still developing and it could do some major damage to her. But thats her decision, and not yours!!
    Undortunately everyone knows the only real method to not get pregnant is to abstain from sex - not gonna happen though!!
    Also, you said you got off once or twice during foreplay, you have to be careful of that as well. If you "get off " in her vicinity or get it on your hands and start getting her off, it is possible to help that little thing called conception. Really unlikely, but scientists love to say that there is a small chance!
    So, enjoy yourself, and dont get stressing just yet, its still early days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 loveheartsandnicotine

nine days after the start of a period till 12 days before her next one
    they are her preovulation and ovulating times
    She isnt pregnant, be carefull next time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

DO NOT GO ON PILL at such a young age

it would be too much responability for someone that young

the pill must be taken at pretty much the same time daily

if you are a few hours late, this could be bad.

Now I know you are gonna say she is mature at that age, but if she forgets it and you have sex, it is the same as having unprotected sex. .. if she gets sick on it .. you are unprotected for a week

the simple fact is she will more than likely listen to her friends than an adult .. so if her friends say ah you'll be all right if your a few hours late

and if she+you is drunk and you have sex .. which prob will occur, and she gets sick .. you might say well least the morning after pill yada yada .. BS the morning after pill is Very bad when on the pill

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭ozpass

The egg is only 'viable' for around 24 hours, but sperm can 'hang in there' for up to 5 days. It's pretty difficult (especially in young women) to pinpoint the exact point at which ovulation occurs tho'.

I could, of course, be talking utter drivel. It's been a long while since A-level biology. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Samara

There's a few myths floating around, the pill should ideally be taken at the same time every day, but you do have a window of 12 hours. (with the pill I'm on anyway, some vary) So if you took it at 6pm today Wednesday you could take it up until 6am Friday morn. Obviously it would not be advisable to push this time after time but it is still safe. Read your leaflet from cover to cover, it tells you all you need to know. I believe that she should be taking the pill, 16 is not too young, it has been proven to be more reliable than condoms.

The more she stresses, the longer her period will take to arrive!! When I first started having sex I was freaked when I was two days late because I had always been regular as clockwork. Two weeks later they arrived much to my relief!!! Some women say have a hot bath, it helps to bring it on, but I don't know if that's just an old wives tale or if it does actually help.

IMO she's probably not pregnant, get a test, it's the only way to tell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭smiles

Right, she could be pregnant. Hopefully not.

Firstly I'd advise that you both sit down in the family planning clinic and get them to *explain* how pregnancy works, after ovulation doesnt make the egg "weak".

Don't rush her into going on the pill, and make sure that she's sure that she wants to.

Period vary a lot, I mean I used to have an incredibly regular period (virtually i could tell down to the hour) and all that suddenly changed for no reason, altered by weeks in fact, and now it's only starting to settle down again.

Just relax and offer her support regardless, no matter how scared you are, this is her body and I'd say she's going to be running through all kinds of things in her head. talk to her.

<< Fio >>

Originally posted by Samara
    So if you took it at 6pm today Wednesday you could take it up until 6am Friday morn.
    dont ya mean thurs??

also it would take 2-3months for the pill to start working properly

ie if you start next week .. it is advisable not to have unprotected sex straight away

the pill is the most effective birth control .. but only if used correct, alot of muppets say .. I was on the pill and I got preggers, its cause they dont take it properly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Samara

No I mean Friday, ideally you would have to take it at 6pm Thurs but due to the 12hr window could take it up to 6am Friday morn!!

Most pills, if you start them on the first day of your period it is effective straight away, others if you take them on the fifth day it is two weeks before it is effective. Defo not as long as 2-3 months. I visited my local family planning and quizzed the doctor so much, he ended up drawing diagrams for me to explain the menstrual cycle and the fact that it is impossible to get pregnant on the day before your period starts or the day your period starts [:D] The poor man was driven demented from me - I like to be sure what exactly is going to be happening to my body and what the risks were and you should never be afraid to keep asking until you are absolutely clear!!!

sorry miss read post .. assumed you meant meant to take it at wends 6pm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

For God's sake, I know you're only 16 but a pregnancy test is less than a tenner! No one can tell if your girlfriend is pregnant through the internet after all.

And I personally wouldn't recommend going on the pill at the age of 16. It's too young, she's still going through puberty. Personally i'd wait till you're well over 18 to start taking the pill, I didn't start taking it till I was 20, it is quite annoying having to remember to take a pill at the same time every day for 21 days a month.

But do NOT let her get the contraceptive injection depo provera! That stuff is really, really dodgy. It has so many bad side effects and takes a long time to leave your body so if she does get one of the many side affects associated with it, it'll take (IIRC) six months at least for them to stop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

i dont think you have mutch to worry about my gf's have had ones that could last up to 46 days i think was the longest . but one of them told me she went for 3 months once ( b4 me ) tho she was not having sex at the time another one of my mates gf's had a lot of probloms with periods comming whenever they wanted .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 357 ✭✭rachel

If you're going to continue having sex then your girlfriend should definitely get the pill.
    Go to a GP or clinic and they'll prescribe a suitable one for her.
    I went on it at 16 and I'm glad I did. Eventually the whole taking one once a day just becomes routine, just get her to leave it close to something she does every morning/night eg her tooth brush and she'll remember.
    And if in doubt, say she misses a pill, is late taking it or gets sick just use a condom as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,474 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Even if she is pregnant it isn't the end of the world, yes there are serious consequences, but they can be dealt with.
    Originally posted by rachel
    And if in doubt, say she misses a pill, is late taking it or gets sick just use a condom as well.
    It's advisable to use condoms as well anyway - the pill won't protect you or her from sexually transmitted infections.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 357 ✭✭rachel

It's advisable to use condoms as well anyway - the pill won't protect you or her from sexually transmitted infections

also probably a good idea if you're in any way nervous about contraception but if you're both checked for STIs and don't play away from home, the pill is very reliable as long as you're responsible with it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

bummer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Silent Grape

For Gods sakes go get a pregnancy test from a chemist or a family planning clinic! its a lot more reliable than posting here!

please dont let her go on the pill. shes only 16, its not fair on her body or her emotional state. its a big responsiblility as Etho said. (it being illegal is not irrelevant in any way, shape or form)

now take some responsibility and read a biology book!

good luck

mia x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Jackoman

dont know if any of you ladies are aware of it - but I am living in the States now, and noticed on TV that they have a birth control Patch!! Thats right, just like a smokers patch. Stick it to your ass or thigh and leave it there for the 3 weeks and all the good work of birth control is taken care of. Ah.... the wonders of science!! At least you dont have to try and remember to take it every day!

She got her period yesterday, we're not pregnant.

Originally posted by Q_Ball
    Whats more than likely is that because she is so young that the fact that she had sex is throwing her cycle off. Especially as she is so young and that she hasn't developed properly yet, that her body is just changing. Tends to happen around that age ;) And now that you think she's pregnant the stress she's feeling will only delay her even more. Cycle's tend to be disrupted for a number of reasons.

I was aware of periods and such being irregular throughout puberty, but I wasn't aware that having sex could alter her cycle or make any physical changes (apart from stretching her vagina slightly).
    Seeing as the condom didn't burst I reckon there's nothing to worry about. Unfortunately pregnancy scares are part and package of a sexual relationship. Just relax and help her to relax. Condoms leak very rarely. They're more likely to fail because they split or burst.

I checked myself to see if the condoms had split or burst, but there were still niggles in my mind.
    I find the pill to be more of a mind phuck to be honest, simply cos you cannot see the protection. I know it sounds stupid, and I know that the pill is safer than condoms but the fact that you're not wearing anything, and that nothing is stoping the sperm freaks me out. By the way in case you didn't know, the pill stops her from releasing an egg so don't take it before her period. Your GP is the best person to go to for advice on the pill.

I am also wary about her going on the pill and I want to sort of ween myself off condoms... I'm definetely going to use them for the first two weeks that she is on the pill and probably for the days she would be ovulating if she wasn't on the pill... just to be sure. We spent a good while discussing things with the kind people at the Irish Family Planning Association and they gave us great advice and support. Thanks for your advice and help Q_Ball.

Originally posted by Jackoman
    Essentially a woman can get pregnant at any point. Some people will argue that there are certain times that she cant and other times that she has a better chance of getting pregnant. So dont ever think that "she just had her period or is about to so we should be ok." Not true!

I know women can get pregnant at any time, except we were both sort of nervous this month as we had never had intercourse more than once a month... we'd only been having sex once a month or every six weeks until this month. (We started in December.) We've always used contraceptives and carefully though about our decision to have sex before we did it.
    Sometimes they are really late- I have known girls that were 2 weeks late. And the more streesed they get about it the more it puts it off, as stress is a main reason for delayed periods.

She wasn't really stressed, but when it didn't arrive on the day it was supposed to we both got a bit worried... I put a brave face on for her because I was sure she was feeling horrible but inside I wasn't feeling the best myself... I was her rock to lean on and I guess Boards was mine. She has also had a slight cold lately that could probably be blamed for her period being delayed.
    If you are ever unsure about it, and she is not on the pill, the best thing to do is get the morning after pill. It will be effective for up to 72 hours after having sex. But dont grow to rely on it. All these methods have a failure percentage rate.

She has taken the morning after pill once before when she was 14... it's a long story and she was a virgin until she slept with me (as was I) but various things happened that culminated in her having to take the morning after pill. By all accounts it is not something she wishes to try again if at all avoidable, which it is.
    If you guys just started having sex, then that would explain all the ways that she feels at the moment. Her body is just getting used to it. I dont know if I would advise that she goes on the pill at her age, coz her body is still developing and it could do some major damage to her. But thats her decision, and not yours!!

I never pushed her to do anything and I was in fact quite reluctant for her to go on the pill, but we visited the Family Planning centre and they put my mind at rest about things enough for me to support her in her decision to go on the pill. I have never and would never pressure her into doing anything she doesn't want to do or anything that could damage her health. She doesn't regret having sex and neither do I, but with most things in life come responsibility and I feel we have been very responsible thus far and will continue to do so.
    Undortunately everyone knows the only real method to not get pregnant is to abstain from sex - not gonna happen though!!
    Also, you said you got off once or twice during foreplay, you have to be careful of that as well. If you "get off " in her vicinity or get it on your hands and start getting her off, it is possible to help that little thing called conception. Really unlikely, but scientists love to say that there is a small chance!

We have abstained, we have never had sex whilst she is ovulating... I know she can get pregnant at any time but according to any source I've ever heard there is a much higher chance of conception if she is ovulating. And we have been very careful about contact and such during foreplay especially once I came, we made sure nothing got near her vagina. Thanks for your words and thoughs Jackoman.

Originally posted by loveheartsandnicotine
    nine days after the start of a period till 12 days before her next one
    they are her preovulation and ovulating times
    She isnt pregnant, be carefull next time

Is this set in stone or variable between women? I was under the impression it varied from woman to woman. Thanks, loveheartsandnicotine.

Originally posted by hussey
    DO NOT GO ON PILL at such a young age

it would be too much responability for someone that young

the pill must be taken at pretty much the same time daily

if you are a few hours late, this could be bad.

I think we have both shown a lot of responsibility so far, and when we discussed this with the nurse at the IFPA she told us that yes, it is recommended to take the pill at the same time daily but a difference of +/- 3 hours is not going to have any effects at all... whereas anything more than that maybe we should abstain or use another form of contraceptive for seven days.
    Now I know you are gonna say she is mature at that age, but if she forgets it and you have sex, it is the same as having unprotected sex. .. if she gets sick on it .. you are unprotected for a week

the simple fact is she will more than likely listen to her friends than an adult .. so if her friends say ah you'll be all right if your a few hours late

and if she+you is drunk and you have sex .. which prob will occur, and she gets sick .. you might say well least the morning after pill yada yada .. BS the morning after pill is Very bad when on the pill

She is a very mature young girl and she does not want to get pregnant anymore than any 16 year old girl does... we went through all the clauses and loopholes of the pill with our Nurse and we are aware that if she gets sick we need to use alternative contraception for seven days. I think the amount of worry we both spent over this occassion when we had taken all the precautions we could shows how responsible we are and how committed we are to taking precautions. Yes, she has asked her best friend about this... but we also asked a nurse and two doctors at the IFPA about all of this. Thanks for your thoughts and words hussey.

Originally posted by ozpass
    The egg is only 'viable' for around 24 hours, but sperm can 'hang in there' for up to 5 days. It's pretty difficult (especially in young women) to pinpoint the exact point at which ovulation occurs tho'.

I could, of course, be talking utter drivel. It's been a long while since A-level biology. :(

I was under the impression that the egg is pretty viable for six or seven days. Thanks though, ozpass.

There's a few myths floating around, the pill should ideally be taken at the same time every day, but you do have a window of 12 hours. (with the pill I'm on anyway, some vary) So if you took it at 6pm today Wednesday you could take it up until 6am Friday morn. Obviously it would not be advisable to push this time after time but it is still safe. Read your leaflet from cover to cover, it tells you all you need to know. I believe that she should be taking the pill, 16 is not too young, it has been proven to be more reliable than condoms.

The more she stresses, the longer her period will take to arrive!! When I first started having sex I was freaked when I was two days late because I had always been regular as clockwork. Two weeks later they arrived much to my relief!!! Some women say have a hot bath, it helps to bring it on, but I don't know if that's just an old wives tale or if it does actually help.

IMO she's probably not pregnant, get a test, it's the only way to tell.

She's on Microlite, she was on it once before in order to try and delay her period during her Junior Certificate. We were told of the 12 hour timeframe but were advised to try and keep it within three hours if we could. I spoke to her for ages last night and I think I calmed her down quite a bit, I also prayed like I haven't done in a long time. Thanks a lot for your encouragement and advice, Samara.

Originally posted by smiles
    Right, she could be pregnant. Hopefully not.

Firstly I'd advise that you both sit down in the family planning clinic and get them to *explain* how pregnancy works, after ovulation doesnt make the egg "weak".

Don't rush her into going on the pill, and make sure that she's sure that she wants to.

Period vary a lot, I mean I used to have an incredibly regular period (virtually i could tell down to the hour) and all that suddenly changed for no reason, altered by weeks in fact, and now it's only starting to settle down again.

Just relax and offer her support regardless, no matter how scared you are, this is her body and I'd say she's going to be running through all kinds of things in her head. talk to her.

<< Fio >>

Fio, you know me from many a moon ago... well only a couple of years but still. Fuzzy headed chap in Ecommerce. Anyway, thanks for your words. She was the one who brought up the idea of the pill, I was a bit reluctant at first but after talking to her for a good long while and seeing the Nurses and Doctors at the IFPA I have now accepted her decision and will encourage and support her as much as I can. I talked to her and reassured her for hours last night whilst all the while being scared ****less, I needed a hug from Mammy Fio right then... I can tell ya! Speak to you soon honey, love, me.

dont ya mean thurs??

also it would take 2-3months for the pill to start working properly

ie if you start next week .. it is advisable not to have unprotected sex straight away

the pill is the most effective birth control .. but only if used correct, alot of muppets say .. I was on the pill and I got preggers, its cause they dont take it properly

We were told it takes 7 days for the pill to start working properly and to take the first pill the day her period started. Thanks again, hussey.

Most pills, if you start them on the first day of your period it is effective straight away, others if you take them on the fifth day it is two weeks before it is effective. Defo not as long as 2-3 months. I visited my local family planning and quizzed the doctor so much, he ended up drawing diagrams for me to explain the menstrual cycle and the fact that it is impossible to get pregnant on the day before your period starts or the day your period starts [:D] The poor man was driven demented from me - I like to be sure what exactly is going to be happening to my body and what the risks were and you should never be afraid to keep asking until you are absolutely clear!!!

We were told as long as we started on the first day of her period the pills would be effective seven days later. We also terrorized the nurses and doctors at the clinic until we knew exactly what was happening, when it was happen and why it was happenining.

I have a clean bill of health from any STDs / STIs and she is my only ever partner and I am hers so we probably won't be using condoms once the pill is fully effective.
    Originally posted by Silent Grape
    For Gods sakes go get a pregnancy test from a chemist or a family planning clinic! its a lot more reliable than posting here!

please dont let her go on the pill. shes only 16, its not fair on her body or her emotional state. its a big responsiblility as Etho said. (it being illegal is not irrelevant in any way, shape or form)

now take some responsibility and read a biology book!

good luck

mia x

It is not illegal for her to go on the pill, it is not a HUGE responsibility for her to take one single pill every day and it is something she is fully capable of. If she misses a pill, she'll tell me and we won't have sex again without another form of contraception for seven days... simple enough really. If it wasn't fair or would have an adverse affect on her physical or mental state, I wouldn't support her in this decision -- I can't stop her doing something she wants to do. I could ask her not to but after discussing it with the people at the IFPA, my doubts and worries have been removed. It is perfectly safe for her physically and mentally to be on the pill, it is her choice and hers alone and I will support her as much as I possibly can.

Thanks again to all of you and good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 933 ✭✭✭mooman_00

what age are you?? cuz the shiit youve replied about there is far more mature than anything i could come up with........fuk it im twenty now and compared to the way you seem to have handled things im still a fukking baby ...glad to hear you got hte all clear.........

...and you are a bit immature to be having sex at 15/16.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 933 ✭✭✭mooman_00

Originally posted by lone ranger

at least they went about it the right way though!..............

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by lone ranger

Come off it! That's the average age the kids are doing it at these days!

Microlite....that's a name for a pill? I thought it was something that flew about in the sky! :OP

Yeah Worried does seem incredibly well informed, kudos to him.

Just one last thing, you said you weren't going to have unprotected sex for 2 weeks after she starts the pill....it does take around a month for it to start working properly, so you should wait a little longer before "riding bareback" as they say :)

Advertisement