Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Little help TV related

Options
  • 25-03-2003 11:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭

CAn anyone think of a reason why I have a problem getting Channel 4 on a downstairs television?

I have two Black Diamond TVs identical, one upstairs, one down and the signal booster and splitter box in the attic nest to the aerial. Upstairs I have near perfect pictures including a not too bad Channel 5 but by the time the signal is downstairs( a mere 15 feet) there is no Channel 5 and a very poor Channel 4. I would be very grateful if anyone could help.
    Thanks

Duffman

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 933 ✭✭✭mooman_00

dodgy cables.......dodgy booster box or booster box connection........the (thingy magigy) that recieves and decodes(possibly a reciever or a decorder?) the signal in your downstairs tv may be damaged or never worked as good as the one upstairs in which case it cant pick up those channels......start by taking the signal directly downstairs with or without the booster box see if that works.....than try putting the cable into a vcr and tune the stations into the vcr and watch them on the vcr channel on your tv, as vcr's are better able to recieve signals.......hope this helps in some way...........

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

switch tv's to rule out dodgy tv

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭DundalkDuffman

Thanks folks, I have already tried all of these, The channel 4 is fine with each of these suggestions and I have eliminated the TV being at fault. I must have some sort of poltergeist !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

Channel 4 is renowned for being of poor quality. I have excellent quality on all channels except Ch4. The cable length to downstairs is probably just long enough to deteriorate the weak Ch4 signal but not the other strong signals. Its hard to explain. Parents have the same problem on Chorus, I'm on NTL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 933 ✭✭✭mooman_00

second booster box just before the tv or replacing the cable that runs downstairs? both cost money though........it sounds like a balls of a situation alright though

edit/ scratch the new cable idea if all other channels are workin fine than replacing thee cable aint gonna do shiit!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭ST

Have you tried a new cable straight from booster/splitter in the loft to the downstairs TV ?

Have you remade the connections on each end of the downstairs cable?

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

What kind of cable is it? Is it double screened (foil and copper braid)?

It sounds like it may be the cable or connections resulting in some loss. I have seen poor cables reject certain UHF frequencies altogether.

Advertisement