Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

War on Iraq

• 26-03-2003 10:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭

hmmmm, im just looking through the last number of threads, and if anything, they help proove how much ireland is isolated from the rest of teh world, eg, on the night that Bush declares war on Iraq, we get a thread saying 'Manakin are playing in draperstown this saturday'

on the night when 'saddass insane'TM gets his hideout bombed, our thread declares 'That guitarist that played killing in teh name of is really good'

so i though i should start a bit of a war debate, personally i find it both stupid andignorant of the americans to send in 260,000 co-alition troops, stupid for two reasons, one, they think that iraqi citizens will help, when instead they all have guns and are shooting at americans as well.
    and two, because these 260,000 troops are going in against 350,000 troops
    i admit the co-alition has a technical advantage, but the iraqis have a tactical, and numerical advantage, bush says he wants a swift war, planning 'shock and awe' instead, weve got a hundred thousand troops waiting, too scared to enter baghdad, and waiting for the marines to catch up through Basra.

and teh reason for the war, these supposed weapons of mass destruction...havnt been found, havnt been used, but, will it make a difference if they are found? no because the war is on anyway, the war is going to wipe out half or iraq, just because a few pilots thought they would fly into tall buildings a year and a half ago (thanks paul)months ago.
    In essence, this does boil down to the so called 'war on terrorism' Bush wants america to hate terrorists, when the war in afghanistan subsided and people stopped caring about bin laden, he needed a new target, so yet again, he picks on the smallest and most tecnically deficient and vulnerable country he can find, he doesnt want a war, he wants to propmote discrimation by his people, and intolerance by his people to other nations.

Anyway, i think thats enough of a rant by me, what does everyone else think about this 'war on terrorism'?:p

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭pauldeehan

because a few pilots thought they would fly into tall buildings 7 months ago.

I think it's been longer than that.

As for the Iraq thing, this is the North board. The North is not being invaded. Thus we haven't talked about it. Want to? Okay then.

The Iraqis don't have any advantage. They are being steamrolled by a hyper-power. I've already said earlier that I believe the war is justified as Saddam is an evil man. Haven't you seen the pictures of dead kurdish babies? How can you let him get away with that? I don't care if it happened a decade ago, he gassed innocent people. Mass genocide isn't something you can look back on and laugh.

I'm not a right-wing psycho but I hate to see bad people getting away with this stuff. Mugabe for example.

So many people believe the government is trying to brainwash them and are jumping on the anti-war bandwagon, it's seen as the "hip" thing to do.

I'm not worried about the war in Iraq. I am however worried by the fact that Bush and Blair went ahead without it despite a majority opinion against them. That's not democracy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭Sterile Fish

i know we are not being invaded, but the fact is, there are irish people out there fighting for it, and im not jumping on the 'anit-war bandwagon' niether am i against it cos its hip, or cos of propoganda, im against it because its unjust, i know mass genocide is unforgiveable and shouldnt go unpunished......but isnt war really the same thing in disguise?

war kills hundreds of innocent people around the world nearly every day, not just in iraq, but in israel, in russia, and even within countries like americas gun culture, and in a sense teh troubles here could be described as an ongoing civil war.
    So if the plight of his nation for saddam killing thousands of people, is for it to be over run, and for him to be over thrown...shouldnt the same thing be done with Bush? He has sent people to war, to kill, true it isnt quite as horrific as what saddam has done, but does that make it any more right? does it make it any more right that 'he done it first'?

Bush is paying people to kill other people, hes sending people out to kill, and in some cases so far, to be killed.

And in my view the iraqis do have the advantage right now, they are holding teh marines in basra, they have hundreds of thousands of people defending baghdad and saddam himself ,and the massive amount of troops and units that have been sent straight to baghdad are caught in a pincer from baghdad in the north, and karbula in teh south, they went in too quick, left resistance behind them and are paying for it. Im not saying iraq will win, because even if the 260,000 co-alition soldiers are all killed or taken prisinor...america and Uk has millions of extra soldiers at home waiting for a call up, Iraq wont win, but right now, the way things stand, if america dont wise up and send more people in..then Iraq has the advantage for the mean time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭pauldeehan

mass genocide is unforgiveable and shouldnt go unpunished......but isnt war really the same thing?

No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭dudeRancher

Governor Bush's war serves a number of purposes.

- First of all, it's supposed to be a distraction from the fact that two million jobs have been lost since Bush took office. ('Took' being the operative word.) America's economy has gone to hell. Petrol prices are getting ridiculous and are hiked up higher than George's instrument up Tony's passage.

- Bush wants the oil fields.

- Bush wants to be popular. They called his dad the wimp president. Guess the family took it personal.

What it's actually done.

- Demonstrated that Bush is about as popular as Saddam himself and playing spot the despotic totalitarian warmonger becomes harder and harder each day.

- Demonstrated that Bush is an incompetent leader with absolutely no regard for the opinions of his own people. Tony is just as guilty of this one. Let's not forget about the wet little English turd.

- Demonstrated the arrogance of Americans. They expected a few e-mails to make the Iraqi army surrender. They went in, expecting little or no resistance, expecting the Iraqi soliders to have no loyalty to a failing regieme and expecting no Coalition casulties. Ignorance must run from the top down. I feel sorry for the soliders 'just following orders'.

- Shown us that once again, American's are blowing the **** out of themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Mr_Roger_Bongos

Im anti war.
    The 'war on terrorism' slogan was purposefull developed to be a carte-blanche, so thay Dubya could declare war on whoever the hell he felt like.
    They've got somthing we want? We'll just say theyre terrorists and in we go!!

Posted by Terry
    i know mass genocide is unforgiveable and shouldnt go unpunished......but isnt war really the same thing in disguise?

I would agree. Hiroshima was the intentional use of a weapon designed to completely destroy everything and everyone within the bomb radius. It was a war and it was mass genocide.

Posted by Terry
    but the iraqis have a tactical advantage

The american tanks can hit the iraqi tanks before the can even see each other.
    they think that iraqi citizens will help

They have reason to. The last time both the kurds in the north (who arent citizens) and the citizens aorund basra had taken back nearly half the country, but without allied air support they couldnt get anywhere near a heavily entrenched bagdad (spelt wrong?). After that the republican gaurd found out who revolted and tortures/killed/imprisioned the leaders, so its no wondewr the people are more reluctant this time around.

• Advertisement
Advertisement