Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Big transfers this summer

• 26-03-2003 12:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭

Well according to the Blackburn Rovers site and the liverpool website, the Rovers chief executive John Wiliams has admitted they could be persuaded to sell Duffer if the price is right. The report is here and the same one is on the Balckburn site.

Thing is Utd could sell Giggs to strengthen their bid for him, whereas Liverpool have been interested in him all year. I doubt Souness will let him go for less than 12-15 million.

So what do ye think? If these reports are anything to go by I reckon Duffer could be one of the biggest transfers this summer

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

I'd say United could come in under the scousers noses and take Duff for £20 million! It has happened before (Mikael Silvestre, Diego Forlan being the most recent).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭The Reaper

20m for duff cant see that happenin id say between 12 - 14m more like it! i aint puttin duffer down or anything the bid might go up to 16m but i cant see it going further than that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

spurs fan in the office says Stephen Carr to arsenal is a dead cert...

Hoddle is not getting any more money and needs to replace some old people, so he can sell carr and get 10/15 million and buy some dodg eastern european players :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

liverpool wont be in Champions league; so they wont have 20 million to spend!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭jonno

Well the board told Houllier earlier this year that he would have 20million to spend but I can't see them spend it all one player. Lets just hope he doesn't go out and spend it like he usually does buying hopeless sods for fu<kall.

I'd say Utd will get him but if Giggs goes, otherwise he will probably end up as another Utd understudy and it would ruin his career. A player like him needs first team football. That might be the only thing to bring him to Liverpool.

I agree with the Reaper that he isn't worth 20 million yet though. Souness is just a greedy ba$tard. I'd rate him at 15 million tops.

A few clubs have been linked with Carr as well. Liverpool were initially but they seem more interested in Finnan. Utd should bring in Carr and get rid of teh sisters (although Gary has been playing well this season)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭tinofapples

United will make 3 signings in the summer if reports on BBC's website aer to be believed.

I reckon Duff could be one of them although they have been monitoring two young lads @ Sporting Lisbon , Ricardo Quaresmo & a Ronaldo dude !! Both I think are midfield players and I know Quaresmo is a wide midfielder.

After that God only knows , Nihat maybe from Sociedad , Sorensen from relegated Sunderland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Dr Bolouswki

Duff is going nowhere. I was talking to his sister about this a couple of weeks ago. She said he won't move cos he's really happy at Blackburn and is too shy and insecure to make a big money move to a high profile club. She reckons in a coupla years... maybe...

Queresma is meant to be a hot property alright - but what about Uniteds defence? Utd have no-one... Ferdinambypamby and Wes Brown ar ethe only dedicated centre backs once Larry White finally dies of old age...

Is Van Buyten still on his way to Utd?

And Houllier? - my guess is Martin O'Neill will join Liverpool in the summer...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭tinofapples

I reckon O'Neil will stick with The Bhoys until the United job is available .

Van Buyten , yeah I forgot about him . Fergie seems to be an admirer of his .

I wouldn't mind seeing Chivu come to Old Trafford , a very tidy player .

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

If Blackburn want to sell Duff they will sell him.
    but what about Uniteds defence? Utd have no-one

So what about Keane, O'Shea, Brown, Silvestre, Ferdinand, Nevilles * 2, Lynch. That is 8 - Where did you get no one from?

I agree with yop there about Duff. If Balckburn want to sell him they will.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭BKtje

indo today (yer rag) said claudio lopez (lazio) , ronaldinho(PSG) but mainly Nihat Kahveci (real soiceaded).

Duff was also mentioned if Giggs were sold.

Just heard there now that Jean Tigana will not be offered a new contract at Fulham at the end of the season. He could be another mover. What's the chances that if Reid isn't installed as Leeds boss that they will pick Tigana up. I rate him as a decent manager (well better than some of them out there - especially when bringing in big names like Van Der Sar and Inamoto). On that thought maybe maybe Liverpool could do with a manager like that cos I don't think the bigger players would much like the GH regime:p

With him leaving it could spell the leaving of a few players - Steve Finnan for example

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

Well if he costs over 5 million that puts liverpool well out of the race to sign him.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

United will be associated with at least 20 names this summer, any they may not sign one! Won't suprise me.

Already - Aimar, Nihat, Ronaldino, Lopez, Duff, Finnan, Gudjonnsen, Van Beuten, Chivu, Hofland, Kluivert, Ronaldo, Quaresma (spellin!) etc etc etc

Until the deal is done, no one will know.

Arsenal - Will sign a keeper and 2 defenders, one central and one right back

Liverpool - need about 6 players, will sign a few more ivory coast players!! :p

Newcastle - need another commanding midfielder

Spurs - proabably a big name european player who cost a fortune and is pants.

The massive City - will probably sign 2 or 3 more strikers and see if they can score 5 goals a game before been relegated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Dr Bolouswki

B]So what about Keane, O'Shea, Brown, Silvestre, Ferdinand, Nevilles * 2, Lynch. That is 8 - Where did you get no one from?[/B]

that's hilarious. how many of those guys would be on fergusons teamsheet as first choice central defenders? Ferdinand and Brown (maybe). one injury and you're scrapping the barrell.

Keane? Tidy in defence but by no means a first choice. Silvestre prefers the centre but Ferguson doesn't like him playing there (plus he's not the greatest). O'Shea is looking good alright, but again not a first choice at centre back. The Nevilles? Ha ha ha Lynch? What a player! Such experience!

None of those guys are a patch on Bruce, Pallister, Stam - all the guys who, at the top of their powers, made United who you are.

By all means disagree with me, but protecting your beloved Utd without engaging your brain does a disservice to your cause...

that's hilarious. how many of those guys would be on fergusons teamsheet as first choice central defenders? Ferdinand and Brown (maybe). one injury and you're scrapping the barrell.

Well, put it this way, you support city. The word defence is not in the club vocabulary :rolleyes:

I won't get into who would appear because all of the defenders are top notch at United at the minute, we have the best defence in the premiership so I am afraid you talkin from the wrong side of your body. :D

But we will let other people comment on wheather or not United defence is any good. :D

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

David May is still contracted to United. And I don't see why we need another defender we only conceeded 27 goals in the premiership, this season so far. Which is the best in the premiership.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭darthmise

Originally posted by Killah_B
    Ferdinand and Brown (maybe). one injury and you're scrapping the barrell.

Silvestre prefers the centre but Ferguson doesn't like him playing there (plus he's not the greatest).

with the greatest of respect.., arse, arse, arse.

Post again when O'Shea has played 40 odd games at centre half. All he lacks at the moment is a little positional sense, and in time will edge wes brown out of the first team. Brown is great but he's not the smartest defender ever. O'Shea is.

Silvestre is the best centre half we have. It's a joke he's being played at left back. I want to see what this Escude lad is like, he's a left back afaik.

The word is that Finnans move to liverpool is practically set in stone.

It's widely expected that Arsenal and Utd will go for Carr in the Summer. I can't see him leaving London unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,586 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Real Madrid say they want Beckham this summer, and it's not like they've ever been shy about splashing the cash.

I'd say Liverpool will get Finnan and either Duff or Brett Emerton.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭Johnny Gomez

If reports are to be believed - Carr is on his way to Arsenal, Finnan is going to Liverpool, Giggs & Beckham could be going to a big European side and Duff will be leaving for a top Premiership side during the summer.(If reports are to be believed:rolleyes: )

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

On the back of yesterdays Herald the headline was Figo +£25m = Beckham. If Real come up with that offer then I think United should jump at it. Beckham is a good player but I do not think he is as good as people say he is, and United would definitely be getting the better of that deal.

Jazsus that can't be right. Figo is a better player than Beckham in fairness. Im not knowing Beckham but as a player he's only worth 30 million tops. After that all Utd are looking to cash in on is his merchandising assets.

Saw on one of the other papers that there could be a clean up at Spurs too. If tehy don't get European footie next year, Sheringham won't be offered a renewal. Gus Poyet is also out of contract. Carr is a very big target of Arsenal and Davies is a target of Utd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

Stephen Reid.. i think will be a big money transfer...

Probably Irelands most improved footballer since the World Cup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The Beckman/Figo story has been dismissed by Real.

Mike.

An article on skyports.com today is about Zenden giving out about not getting enough games at Chelsea (started 11 games this season out of 41), about Raineiri's defensive tactics, and about Rainieri in general.

He doesn't sound like a happy camper so maybe it might lead to a transfer request. He'd be a nice buy for any team. I think he can be a class player at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

Zenden failed to produce at Barca and has been given chances here apart from a great goal against Mancs this season he has done nowt Kewell has been apparantely targeted by Chels but I can't see that happening.
    what I do know is that Chels are after 2 RB's neither eng one was good one is excellent thats all I know.;)

A little birdie told me there will be a mega signing for CFC in the summer bankrolled by the arabs so that rules Kewell out then.:)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/2899789.stm

I dunno, he says he wants to play and Houllier says I dont want him...okay he's not a winger but he is an attacking midfielder who'd pick up the pieces which are currently being left as the two upfront are left isolated.

Mike.

Remember in The world cup the way he went down cluthing his face ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

He told the News of the World: "If I could choose my next team, and if they want me, it will be Liverpool.
    "It would be an honour for me to wear their red shirt and I would regard it as a dream to play alongside Michael Owen up front.

"The other day I was watching them play Chelsea and I could not stop watching their midfield. I have a few ideas about how I could fit in.
    Wow. One of the best, if not THE best midfielders in the world, openly says I WANT TO PLAY FOR LIVERPOOL. Fans all over must have cheered this, an attacking, flowing, gifted midfielder, just what we're missing.
    But Houllier believes that a move for the 30-year-old Brazilian would be a backward step for Liverpool..
    Heaven forbid, that we return to the days of fanciful glowing football. We must move forward. We must defend with all our might, or lack thereof, and kick the ball at Owen, that's how to win.

Originally posted by smuckers
    Remember in The world cup the way he went down cluthing his face ?

I do, well I remember him clutching his face! He was a cheating bastrad but he'd have that knocked out of him quick enough in the Premiership. Most "Johnny Foreigners" become pretty honest and hardworking when they have to! :)

Mike.

speaking of Liverpool I heard 2 things Houllier will be out O Neill in but I also heard that he'll stay and spend 30mil on Finnan Joe Cole and Duff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭the fnj

Ronaldinho to United will be the big move of the summer in my opinion, but hopefully Fulham will immerge as rivals for his signature and sign him under their noses.

(I can dream can't I?)

you were prob hoping Boro signed Forlan before utd snatched him.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 884 ✭✭✭Cork Skate

Bruton is staying at Ramblers and Reynolds is gone to Rovers !!

• Advertisement
Advertisement