Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ferguson's Summer Sale?

• 26-03-2003 1:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭

With the recent very public spats in the Utd dressing room, it looking like a 3rd season with no trophy and Ferguson himself saying the team needs to be changed - who do you think will leave Utd this summer, and who will come in?

Keep in mind Real Madrid have made one huge signing each summer for the past 4 years - usually a high profile player as Real take the image rights as part of the deal... Beckham to Real anyone? The Real Chairman has certainly mentioned it as being a deal he would like to do...

Milans interest in Giggs is also very public.

So what do the United fans think? Who will go out and who's coming in?

As a City fan, I'd really like to get Nicky Butt from you guys. We need a defensive midfielder (along with a whole new defence) but Butt would fit the bill perfectly.

And before anyone says it, I know you can still win either the Champions League or the Premiership - however, in both cases you're relying on other teams playing poorly... so let's try and stick to the topic eh?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 birdbath

keane may also retire... if so that means rebuilding the whole midfield. expensive and time consuming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭jonno

I reckon Keane will retire very soon which leaves a big job for Ferguson. Who will he reshape his midfield around. Veron? Butt?

I think he'll have to bring in someone big when Keane goes because Utd's midfield is essentially their strongest area seen as how they play one up front.

Maybe Madrid and Utd could do a straight swap between Beckham and McManaman :p

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Nemici

I think Killah_B has a point about the real madrid thing, I think Ferguson is getting more drunk as time goes on and a football boot in the head will definitely be sending Beckam on his way,

Blanc - will go to league of Ireland
    Keane - forced retirement
    the nevilles - will go and open a pet shop in barnsley
    Giggs - eating pasta by the end of the next transfer window
    van nistelroy - out to stud
    solskjaer - setting up a school for people to pronounce his name correctly

the rest are staying put to make fun of luke chadwick.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

I heard on the radio this morning Barca are making Beckham their no 1 target for the summer. Thought to be condisering a 40 Million bid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭jonno

Originally posted by Nemici
    I think Killah_B has a point about the real madrid thing, I think Ferguson is getting more drunk as time goes on and a football boot in the head will definitely be sending Beckam on his way,

Blanc - will go to league of Ireland
    Keane - forced retirement
    the nevilles - will go and open a pet shop in barnsley
    Giggs - eating pasta by the end of the next transfer window
    van nistelroy - out to stud
    solskjaer - setting up a school for people to pronounce his name correctly

LOL:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Dr Bolouswki

Nah - Ferguson wouldn't take McManniman - plus beckham is worth about €50m - Maccas going on a free end of next season... to City I expect, what with it's proximity to Liverpool, Keegan as manager and his old mate Fowler there too...

Interesting about Keane alright - I didn't realise he was genuinely crocked? Larry White is done and dusted, Uniteds central defence would then consist of Rio, Wes Brown and the occassional appearance of G Neville, O'Shea and Silvestre - not the greatest using your fullbacks as central defensive cover.. Is the Van Buyten deal back on?

I'm delighted - the more I talk about this the more it seems that United's star is DEFINITELY on the wane...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

I think aimar or davids would fit in very well to the utd. midfield and are capable of nicking a goal or two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭SlimShady

i seriously think if beckham is going to madrid for 50 million, ronaldo might be brought into the picture as an old trafford signing.

keane wont retire.
    veron is going to stay.
    i say giggs will go, duff will come in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

Barca are off loading Kluivert in the summer for round ten million,and ferguson is keen to link him up with his Dutch mate Van.The only stumbling block been his 100k a week wages.

Beckham to go to Real if they come in with a crazy amount of money,as they usual do,Utd's a plc after all so money talks.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

in both cases you're relying on other teams playing poorly... so let's try and stick to the topic eh?

Just to follow up quick on your "off topic" statement, how are United relying on other teams to play badly to win either of these?
    If United beat Arsenal then they will be on top.

In winning the CL that statement makes no sense!:rolleyes:

Anyway to keep the the topic header.

Beckham - will not leave, not unless Utd get 50 mil, he is worth way too much to them on merchandising rights alone, which the PLC is more interested in than what they win on the pitch.

Giggs - will go, he is down in himself and will be worth 1/3 next summer of what he is worth this.

Blanc - will be put down

Gary Neville, Silvestre and O'Shea are centre halves.

And if you think Butt or McManaman would go to a "massive" club like City :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭BKtje

Beckham as Yop said is wirth way too much to man u. Unless a bif of incredibly large proportions come in and i find that doubtful seeing as real aint debt free. Besides the team is much better with him in the pitch imo so that counts for a lot :p

Blanc will retire and Giggs will probably be old to allow Duff in and maybe an understudy for him.

They will buy another Striker to be a permanent strike partner for van the man.

Barthez is dillying over signing a new contract so maybe a new keeper as well (again :( )

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Originally posted by Nemici
    For the second time in a week... Chadwick has already been sold to Derby County. :rolleyes:

its not city arent a big club...its the fact that utd and city are mersyside rivals and thats why they will not sell to city...city pulled off anelka last summer, utd shud have signed him in my opinion.

didnt know about the kleivert situation...but its interesting and could happen but then again, he is 30 now isnt he?

i say utd could get a defender like thuram in this summer.

dont know how mcmanaman isnt on the english squad...havent seen much of him but i doubt he is that bad. he could fill up that left mid position...instead of having a donkey like heskey there instead

i actually cant wait to see the signings this summer...damn interesting...

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

its the fact that utd and city are mersyside rivals

Huh??! What you on about??

Thuram will not sign for United, too old, too expensive, not needed

No one wanted Anelka, he brings too much baggage, he is a 6ft child who whines when he is not given his bottle, he also has a flute of an agent, who is his brother, all Anleka wants is money, not football.

Macca- is a right sided player, would not play on the left

its not city arent a big club

Nope they are a "massive" club :D

actually cant wait to see the signings this summer...damn interesting...

should be interesting alright

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Dr Bolouswki

yeah - City and United aren't rivals (merseyside - u wot?) - to be honest Citeh aren't even on their radar at the moment...

The off-topic thing... yeah so i got dragged in - I just didn't want the thread to become a boasting/stomping ground...

I'm serious about the centre halves for man Utd - I'm not trying to knock them - just that I think you have a problem in that department...

The 'massive' taunts - give it a rest - Fowler, Anelka, Keegan... it's a team trying to get places, spending money - I don't pretend we're nearly as big or important on the world scene (not even on it mate) as United... but every dog has it's day...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭darthmise

Kluivert isn't 30 he's 27. (Born on the same day as Ruud afaik)

Giggs won't leave.

Thre's a good chance Kluivert will sign for us with beckham going the other way, thats if posh will move to spain instead of italy which is something shes wanted for a while now.

Duff won't go anywhere, Kewell would be a much better signing anyway. So lets pray Leeds go down.

If Keane does retire, we could be screwed for a while. Ferguson will never sell Nicky Butt regardless of whether Keane stays or gos. Butt has been by far the most inquired about player at old trafford for the last 5 or 6 seasons.

I'd love Aimar, one of my favorite players at the moment but not the man to replace Keane. If we're talking big big signings then i'd say break the bank for Jermaine Jenas. The best box to box prospect i've ever seen. A new breed of footballer. Throw an obscene amount of money at newcastle, something even they can't refuse.

I reckon veron could be amazing if he was given the captains armband. he has always played unreal when teams were built around him. It'll never happen though.

I think we'll get Julien Escude, and if not kluivert, (who is so overrated it's unreal) Ronaldinho.

The one place United have no problems is at Centre Half!!
    Brown, O'Shea, Ferdinand, Silvestre( who is a savage centre back)
    Sure don't we have the best defence in the league?

merseyside rivals!! wtf?!?

merseyside rivals? what the **** am i on? jesus apologies about that...

but there cross-city rivals and the utd and city fans do NOT like each other and no way would Utd ever sell a player especially like nicky butt to City let alone anyone else.

i do think we should have bought Anelka. He has played well for City this season, and a bargain for wat City paid for him.

Ferguson has expressed interest in thuram before and i wouldnt be surprised if he came in at all. he still has the same pace and would suit the style of play at utd perfectly but he is 30.

But uniteds main interest this summer is a striker.I say someone like Claudio López, Ronaldinho, of PSG and Brazil, and Nihat as well and if Real are going for beckham, Ronaldo may appear but thats not really going to happen although Ronaldo has said he would like to play for Arsenal or Utd.

I didnt realise Kluivert was only 27 but i dont think much of him to be honest...apart from the time he scored four goals in that match for Holland....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Beckham will go, not sure bout giggs, I'd like to see them get Defoe, duff and Jenas, and who slagged our defence?! (best def record this season)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

Im sure the Beckams are at home now.....

having breakfast

**Victoria**: David?
    **David**: Yes my little pumpkin?
    **Victoria**: Can you do two things for me?
    **David** : Anything for you my hunnypie
    **Victoria** : Well firstly...romeo has done a poo can you change his nappy? and two can you sign for real madrid so i can be the queen of spain?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭BKtje

washout tbh that was pathetic ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

Originally posted by B-K-DzR
    washout tbh that was pathetic ;)

aye your right but you gotta realise I am
    (a) bored and
    (b) easily amused

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭50Cent

Giggs is definitely going i reckon. Duff will be coming in. I say Beckham will be sold after all the press im hearing. Theres too much speculation..theres gotta be some truth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

Giggs has been going to Inter Milan every other season since they signed Incey. I do not think he will be going this summer, I really hope not cause he is a great player and United do not have anyone else who can scare the **** out of defenders by running at them like he does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭50Cent

oh ye...Ronaldhinho defo coming in too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

washouts joke nearly put me off replying.. :p
    But anyway, I doubt manure will sell beckham,even for a crazy amount of money. Keane's going to be retiring soon, so that'll give them a gap to fill in midfield... and I doubt giggs will be going.

Advertisement