Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BF1942 - Crashing To Desktop/BSOD (WinXP)

Options
  • 26-03-2003 4:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭

Lo all,

I've noticed after a certain amount of play (normally in DC, but sometimes in vanilla bf), the game will sometimes crash out to the desktop or even throw a blue screen of death, (with no *real* useful information), right in my face.

Anyone ever have this problem? Any pointers in dealing with it?

Luc

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Could be driver related ,what G card you got ?

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

What version are you running? because if its 1.3 then you probably need the 1.31 patch, as 1.3 has endless smal lbugs in it, 1 of my friends could walk north at full speed, but south at half speed, wierd, wierd bug. Another friends planes randomly exploded, didnt get shot at, it just exploded mid flight (even if he plays on LAN by himself).

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭jow

Hi,

I had the same problem after installing r2r pack and the 1.3 patch on a 1.2 bf-installation.

If done a complete de-install of bf with manual removal of game-directories and then complete new install
    (1st. BF, 2nd. R2R, 3rd. 1.3 Patch)

then it worked fine for me, even the sound problems were gone
    :D

jochen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

GeForce 3 for gfx, latest drivers. (41.09 Dets if memory serves!).

I'm all patched up. Yea, that exploding in mid air for no reason has happened to me too!

I haven't tried a reinstall from scratch, might give that a go...

Thanks.

Luc

DC is still alpha has bugs maybe that but vanilla has never crashed for me but there is one bug that when a enw map loads you go to desktop.

Never happened me but i have gained from it on full servers when map changes i jump knowing a few will crash out.

kdjac

• Advertisement

Could be just DC alright, I don't remember vanilla BF crashing to desktop on me before...

I uninstalled and reinstalled everything again last night. Played (DC) for around 40 minutes with bots etc.

Then the screen started flicker a bit when I wes in an F16, I hopped out and crashed it (the F16!), 15 seconds later, crashed to desktop again.

I'm starting to think it mght be my refresh rate, my tft only takes 60Khz/Hz over the DVI cable...I have bf set to 75, could this be the prob I wonder?

Nice trick for getting onto full servers btw, must remember that when I get a decent net connection.

Luc

Have you fixed the detonator refresh bug?

www.guru3d.com has an article on it.

Try it at 60hz and see how it goes.

kdjac

Hi,

I've tested a little with mod's yesterday.

DC runs like normal BF without a problem on my system.
    But the Killer Commando, the Alamein Multi-Tank-Mod and Battle of Caen crash do desktop after some minutes.

It seems that some parts of these mods don't like my installation. :confused:

I have all the newest drivers, a normal CRT Display (85 Hz Refresh) and so on.

whatever...
    I don't think your problem depends on the refresh rate.

jochen

I ran DC last night for a good while with no crashing.

...then I ran Splinter Cell to show a mate and I got a BSOD, with reference to an nvidia dll file.

Gonna try those new dets out tonight...

Luc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Mark

Tis teh happen to meh many a time as well during the campaign, *especially* annoying considering the length of the loading times.

While Im hear has anyone else had problems with the sound everywhere other than actually in game, stuttering in and out every 3 seconds on the menu for example.

Im off to patch it up now, lets hope it makes a difference

• Advertisement

Hi,

the loading times and performance of BF is stricktly related to the amount of memory you have installed in your computer.

I upgraded my PC to 768MB and.... whooosh the levels are there.

Specially heplful when a new level starts:
    I 'm usually one of the first in the game... :cool: :cool:

I think below 512MB of memory it makes not really sence to play battlefield.

jow

Advertisement