Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Word 2000 problem, important.

Options
  • 26-03-2003 5:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭

Have a Word document here, one of the guys in the office has it done up, some important proposal that has to be on a desk in dublin tomorrow. The file is reporting corrupted when opening, but its not corrupted, its fine. Just reports possible corruption every single time its opened, even when copied to another empty file.
    I have emptied the file, partly to cut it down and try find why its doing it, but also because they obviously dont want the world reading it.
    http://zero.amt.ul.ie/fixme.zip

Thats the word document. If someone can have a look at it, its tiny and practically empty, but I cant find why its reporting corruption. The corruption report wouldnt matter only we have to send a soft copy of the file too.

If someone can find the problem with it, it'd be much appreciated. I can implement the same thing then in the main doc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

not finding any problems opening it here (office 2002).

have you tried saving it as an rtf? Are your footers auto or imported from a file?

I'll keep looking if i get a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

I suggest trying different s/w like [Open|Star]Office e.g. at openoffice.org

Also try saving different formats - Word95, 98, RTF (that's a good one to try).

Also, turn on invisible characters (space, tabs etc) in the options.

Al.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

start
    find
    *.dot

delete all instances of normal.dot

• Registered Users Posts: 5,401 ✭✭✭ando

no problem with the file here (word 2002)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Copy the contents of the doc to an new one and discard the empty shell..

Open the doc,
    Crtl-A to select all
    Ctrl-C to Copy
    New Doc
    Crtl-V to paste the contents in to the other DOC

cf. copying all the cells in an excel worksheet into a new sheet click on the square between A and 1 to grap them all...

Tools - Options - Save
    Make sure sure Allow Fast Saves is turned off.
    - might as well make sure Always create backup is on
    - and if you don't have a load of tables in the doc - disable features not supported by word 97) - and since Autorecover is not the same as saving - use Ctrl - S frequently :)

What all that lot does is it forces word to save thecontents of the doc in the same order they are on the screen - fast save sorta keeps tagging changes on to the end (ie laid out chronologically) and tries to rebuild the doc when you open it

Macros - KILL KILL KIIILLLLLL !!!!!!!

(have you applied the service packs - it usually takes microsoft three attempts to get most things out of what the rest of the world call Bets)

You could try openoffice - I know people who swear by in when it comes to opening corrupt Excel files.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭Zero

thanks lads, what it actually was, was a bug in word that when there is a ton of numbered/bulleted lists pasted in, it will give that message when its opened. Some dopey thing anyway, there was a registry fix for it.

R.

Advertisement