Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modem Recommendations

• 26-03-2003 5:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭

Folks,

I have to buy a new 56K modem. Any questions to the following would be a big help...

Should I buy internal/external - serial or usb.
    Also I understand hardware modems are better than software modems (?)

I have a few in mind below... any suggestions ?

* DFM-560I+ 56kbps PCI Bus Hardware-based Analog Modem (Rockwell Connexant Chipset)

* Creative Modem Blaster 56 Kbps V92 Internal PCI Modem

* Creative Modem Blaster 56 Kbps V.92 External Serial

* Creative Modem Blaster 56 Kbps V.92 External USB

* CNet Conexant 56K V92 HCF PCI Voice/Data/Fax Modem

* Dynamode V.92 Smart AMR Fax Modem

* Conexant 56K V90 Voice/Fax/Data HCF PCI Modem

Thanks in advance guy's.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭Littletinyman

Moved this to the Technology forum where it belongs and where you'll get better answers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

You gonna be playing games with it? or is it just for downloading/surfing?

Well games best modem and most stable was the Lucent PCI 56k Voice Data modems and btw, no Irish ISPs use v.92 so pointless in getting one.

If its for surfing, trust make a good USB modem you get better download rates (off USB in general than PCI). Most USB modems will be better for downloads.

Off the pci i never got more than 4.7 after the download had settled, whereas on USB 5.2 after the download settled was the norm which I got, that .5 makes a big diffference on 56k :D.

USB also give good pings, but then not as stable as PCI. PCI Lucent used to fetch me 120 ping stable, I even got a screenie of it down to 95!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

arn't lucent modems win modems? if so i thought that hardware based modems were much better? don't know much about modems, which is better?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭conZ

iv got a lucent winmodem Lt v.90 .

for CS, its good. i havent really had the best of fun with it lately tho, as im on esat no limits (brutal lately) but on a good day id average about 150/160.

the lowest iv got was 121 on radox (which usually up's peoples pings about 10 or 20)

lucent have renamed or are now owned by Agere - so look for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

Yes I believe it is a winmodem, but the best modem you will get on the market pingwise.

Ive tested quite a few in my time ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

You gonna be playing games with it? or is it just for downloading/surfing?

just for downloading/surfing

I'll have a look for the Trust USB modem.

Thanks guy's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 760 ✭✭✭BoobeR

ive had a whole rake of 56k modems in my time :D and i still prefer my Pace 56k modem. its absolutely animal *lol* i can even get under 100 pings to ireland and i think thats amazing for 56k :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

I have a Lucent Win Modem but my ping is unstable. Im using software compression and the hardware compression is off. Should I have the hardware compression on rather than the software? Is there any other setting that can be tweaked?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Shamo

Originally posted by Dempsey
    I have a Lucent Win Modem but my ping is unstable. Im using software compression and the hardware compression is off. Should I have the hardware compression on rather than the software? Is there any other setting that can be tweaked?

No, hardware compression is for hardware modems not win modems.

As for good modems, the Diamond Supra Express 56e Pro is class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Originally posted by Shamo
    No, hardware compression is for hardware modems not win modems.

As for good modems, the Diamond Supra Express 56e Pro is class.

But the option is there for hardware compression...

Tribble told me that the Diamond Supra Express 56e Pro is laggy. I heard else where that its good, what do you think. Its a bit old, would newer modems be better?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Shamo

Originally posted by Dempsey
    But the option is there for hardware compression...

Tribble told me that the Diamond Supra Express 56e Pro is laggy. I heard else where that its good, what do you think. Its a bit old, would newer modems be better?

I used to have one, used it for atleast 1 and a half years. It gives very stable connection and pings were good (in CS). The one I had connected to a serial port. When I was buying a modem back then I did a fair bit of research on forums, found that to be the best to buy.

Oh and the option for hardware compression will always be there. It doesn't change if you have a Win Modem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Chowley

The diamond is the best modem you can get but you'll have to get it off e-bay which I wouldnt trust myself.
    So I went ang got the creative external serial modem blaster instead.Its really excellent.
    My brother has a serial U.S Robotics modem also excellent, really any serial external modem will be really good.
    Avoid Pci modems and USB like the plague.
    I get great pings to the UK with my modem.

Advertisement