Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work and the internet

Options
  • 26-03-2003 6:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭

Simple question if anyone can answer. We have a leased line at work (128K ISDN - 320 employees). My questions is if I was downloading a file or surfing the web would it pull down the connection to anyone else. In other words lets say me and Tom were using the web. I started dloading a file. Would his connection go slower ?

Reason I ask is I download MP3's at work. I queue them with download accelerator and schedule them to dload @ 2am. Is this necessary ?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Gaz

Yes , same as if you download 2 things at once yourself you will see a slower speed but if there is no one else in the building at 2am (night shift ?) then it wont be a problem for anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭The Cigarette Smoking Man

Originally posted by daveg
    Simple question if anyone can answer. We have a leased line at work (128K ISDN - 320 employees).

You should tell them to get DSL in. Even at it's worst it'll give you a better connection than 128k. If they wanted to keep the leased line, then they could still get DSL and configure the proxy server to use it instead. You could get up to 2Mb depending on which ISP you use.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

We have a leased line at work (128K ISDN - 320 employees).

Just so you know, ISDN isn't a leased line - are you talking about a 128k leased line or an ISDN connection? (both channels)

Either way, get them to put something faster in. Isn't everyone moaning about the speed during the day?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Sorry your right it is a 128K leased line - not ISDN. I don't think I'll complain about the speed as I'd probably find I had no internet connection the following day.

Unlike most multinationals my company wouldn't be too happy about people downloading files (Mp3) on their PC.. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

Unlike most multinationals my company wouldn't be too happy about people downloading files (Mp3) on their PC.. :(

name one that dose

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

downloading mp3s makes baby jesus cry

Advertisement