Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gerry Ryan Show - monitoring school absences

Options
  • 26-03-2003 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78,369 ✭✭✭✭

The Gerry Ryan Show has had a debate for the last two days about new procedures for monitoring school absences under the Education (Welfare) Act, 2000. In essence, when a schoolchild misses more than 20 days in a school year (exceptional circumstances aside), the school will report them to the National Educational Welfare Board. The board is being formed under the Department Educational. Schools are currently writing to parents when the child reaches 15-20 days to advise them that they will be reported.

The main function of the act is to reduce the number of times children are allowed skip school because the parent doesn't know or care (or where the child is being abused), but also to monitor absences for family holidays, weddings, clothes buying and the like on top of genuine cases of illness, family emergencies, medical appointments or bad weather. However, everyone is insisting they are "good parents" and that it is soemone else is the problem.

Now I know that children do get sick and that it is best in the case of infectious diseases out of the classroom, but 20 days is 4 school weeks (out of perhaps 32-36, or maybe 26 since the start of school in September). If particular children are missing that amount of time, something needs to be done about it.

Thoughts anyone?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭MarVeL

As long as it is sensibly used this sounds like reasonable legislation. As with most legislation on family law it does require that the people administering this approach it very carefully. It is good that the school does not have to make a decision on the trigger level but this does then mean that someone who is completely unfamiliar with the circumstances is brought into the equation.

While I can see that this could (probably would) be uncomfortable in any circumstance I think that the benefits should outweigh this.

On the other hand does this mean 20 duvet days for kids? :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,369 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by MarVeL
    On the other hand does this mean 20 duvet days for kids? :-)
    Duvet days? I presume you mean feigned sickness. the parents will still need to notify the school of any absence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Rnger

I think its a good idea, although...

My last report said i had 17 absences in the last term. Im in 4th year and i find i have never been so bored with everything. Every day is so... unengaging. About a half of my class have also followed this trend, with at least a 3rd of the class absent on average (havent seen one guy in 2 weeks). I wouldnt mind this for 5th year as i really and truly intend on cleaning up my act. But having to endure school these days.... Its difficult when my brain is saying "you can either go to school, or not go to school, hmmmm....". When I feel im getting very little out of it, and sometimes feel like my life is going to waste. Work experience is coming up :D 8-5 working in a shop without pay :D perhaps im being too pesimistic.

And as i reread it, off topic? ah well... ive being dying for a good moan

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭yankinlk

I heard that show today. The parents were complaining about receiving letters from the school that their children had missed 15 days, and that if they missed the magic number of 20 the school would "inform the authoritae"!

This is a case of one overbearing annoying adult with a typewriter writing a letter so they can feel important. This could have been handled better. The letter should have been sent to EVERY parent and the wording should have been:

This is to inform you of the national policy of 20 days being the limit of acceptable abscences in one year. You child has missed x number of days. bla bla bla

The letter could go on to explain that every parent got a letter and that this will happen every year from now on so that parents can gauge 1. if their children are missing more days then they know about 2. that they realise they might have allowed their children skip school a little too much this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

20 days quickly add upp, Our lil boy started school and between the start fo the school year we had a chestinfection flu and good old chicken pox. that alone has him up to a count of 16 days warranting a letter to our home.

Yes there is a need to target childern that are habitually missing school , but unless any of mine are really unwell they will be out the door. I can see this eventaully going like the way of work that after 3 days of school absense due to illness you will have to take ur kids to the doc for a sick note . Which will cost more money and clutter up gps offices up and down the country, and sure if ur li lone is onky there for a bad cold s/he may come away with something more intresting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭MarVeL

Just on the subject of GPs offices and kids. IIRC (and I sometimes do) the GP we went to as kids used to allow the parents and kids wait in the car or outside rather than in the waiting room if the parents preferred to cut down on the risk of crossinfection. Anyone know if this still happens anywhere?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

once the appointment is in the childs name and u have checked in with reception that seems to be ok once there is a parent with the child in the car and a parent in the waiting room this or course assumes you have a car cos we dont :)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,369 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Education welfare body appoints 23 inspectors
    Wednesday, 2nd April, 2003
    12:32:23:

The National Educational Welfare Board (NEWB), which is responsible for encouraging and supporting school attendance, has appointed 23 new educational welfare officers (EWO).

"The new EWOs will focus first on the welfare of children, " explained NEWB chief executive, Mr Eddie Ward. "Up to now, the emphasis was on prosecution in cases of prolonged or consistent absenteeism. The aim now is to concentrate on the reasons behind a child's absence from school so that related problems or issues can be dealt with before absenteeism reaches crisis point".

At the moment there are 37 school attendance officers working in Dublin, Cork and Waterford. Up to 90 will be in place by the end of this year, and it is hoped that the NEWB will employ up to 300 at the peak of its operation.

The NEWB was established in July last year under the Education (Welfare) Act, 2000.

Advertisement