Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proper Metal - None Of This Nu-**** on MTV2

Options
  • 26-03-2003 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭

Just noticed an hour of "proper metal" on MTV2 tonight from 9-10. In their own words "none of this nu-****".

They played Korn. Shall I tell them, or shall you???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

:rolleyes: its MTV, what did you expect?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 953 ✭✭✭superconor

lol
    trust them.
    what does it mean "nu-metal is dead week?"
    does it mean they are going to stop playing **** like pudle of mud and linkin park and start playing things from Deep Purple to In Flames?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Drunk pirate

I don't watch Mtv2 or Kerrang because they just god damn suck Non Nu-metal or not.

Can you Imagine Mtv2 playing At the gates?

At the who?

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Was Pantera on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Originally posted by superconor
    Deep Purple to In Flames?
    We can only dream, even the more known bands like Iron Maiden, is it too much to ask? the company has millions, and theres alot of people who will watch ANYTHING by MTV, so if they made a night when they showed PROPER metal, it would get these decent bands some publicity and maybe give decent metal a chance, even just 1 hour of it might get these people to see how tedious mainstream metal is.
    Was Pantera on it?
    You need to ask? this IS MTV.

• Advertisement

Bring back Headbangers ball or Tommy Vance's Friday Rock Show. They used to kick ass. I've got a video full of my favourite songs from TFRS. It was excellent while it lasted. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 718 ✭✭✭hells angels

Originally posted by superconor
    lol
    trust them.
    what does it mean "nu-metal is dead week?"
    does it mean they are going to stop playing **** like pudle of mud and linkin park and start playing things from Deep Purple to In Flames?

ya right if only i'd love to see mtv2 or kerrang playin IN FLAMES

In Flames were on the friday rock show not so long ago, they played Only For The Weak.

In Flames, on a rock show......... MTV need to get a new person to classify their music, them being on is good, but their hardly rock :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭Darkillion

in fairness MTV2 has been getting better lately. next month theres a new rock channel coming, called Scuz. wonder what it'll be like

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Pugsley
    In Flames, on a rock show......... MTV need to get a new person to classify their music, them being on is good, but their hardly rock :)
    Well what I saw on it was Classic Rock, Blues, Metal, Black Metal, Doom Metal, Death Metal, Industrial, Melodic Death Metal, Thrash Metal, Instrumentalists (Vai, Satch etc.), Progressive Metal and lots more.

I thought it kicked ass!

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

It will be interesting to see what Sky's new rock channel, Scuzz will be like, or indeed The Amp which appenently will be like VH1. To launch in April.

The Scuzz website doesn't give a lot away ! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

I saw a bit of the nu-metal is dead thing on MTV2. Seemed pretty cool; Slayer, Iron Maiden, Metallica, Tool, Sepultura, et cetera.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

MTV2 was pretty good when I got it, 3 years ago. Now it's pretty ****. I watch it for about 10 mins a day. I much prefer the music channels on sky, especially Total Rock, Music Choice and Xfm London.

But if you think MTV2 UK is bad...you should see the MTV in North America which I had the misfortune of seeing when I was in Canada last year :(

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

What's the point in even raising this? Given the bands that are discussed by the stalwarts on this board, you'd have a better chance of getting a blow job from the Pope than having MTV2 create an reasonable approximation of what you define as "metal".

MTV are not a public service broadcaster, their duty is to their shareholders to make money. This can be achieved by playing popular music.

I'm watching this show right now, I haven't seen anything but old school so far..ok we're only 12 mins in.

What show would that be etho?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Originally posted by Robbo
    What's the point in even raising this?

I take it you're referring to starting the thread itself?

If so, as the person who started it, the point was to draw attention to a show which is called "Proper Metal - None Of This Nu-**** playing Korn, who no matter who you ask, are nu-metal. I thought it was funny.

As for the debate that followed, well thats for the people who participated to explain.

By the way, I watch MTV2 quite a bit, but then I don't just listen to hard rock/metal, so it does the job for me.

DOWN WAS PLAYED TONIGHT!!! G'WAN!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭xx

Have to say I'm fairly pleased with what I seen so far. Turned it on for about 5 minutes (was watching Spawn on CNX at the time) and seen none other than Faith No More's 'Ashes to Ashes' (cracking tune) and a song called 'Shoot the crow' I think, by Down. That Down song was great, far more bluesy (sic) than I thought...

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Pugsley
    What show would that be etho?

Urr...the show that is the subject of this thread? The none of this new ***** ****e show..

Originally posted by xx
    Have to say I'm fairly pleased with what I seen so far. Turned it on for about 5 minutes (was watching Spawn on CNX at the time) and seen none other than Faith No More's 'Ashes to Ashes' (cracking tune) and a song called 'Shoot the crow' I think, by Down. That Down song was great, far more bluesy (sic) than I thought...
    It's Stone the Crow, and yes they fúcking kick ass!

Advertisement