Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MS Intellimouse Explorer 3.0

• 26-03-2003 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭

I'm buying a new optical mouse and having looked through the stock list on Komplett.ie, I found that there were two models of MSIE3.0 mice on offer - the retail and bulk models. Their technical specs all seem the same - the bulk has a has a lower build and smaller side buttons, and is cheaper.

Since I'm a perfectionist on a budget I want to buy the 'better' mouse (for gaming accuracy), but reviews on the net haven't helped much since none distinguish between the retail and bulk versions of the mouse. Does anyone know better?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

It sounds like a great mouse from wot iv read...I think the difference between them is that the ( bulk ) one is OEM.Thats really the only difference i can see from the specs on the website.Thats a pretty big price difference tho just cause it's OEM.Im sure patman on the komplett board would be able to give you the right answer.

COMBATCOW

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Lyconix

Originally posted by Combatcow
    Im sure patman on the komplett board would be able to give you the right answer.

I'll try that board if I get the chance, thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭conZ

if yer looking for a gaming mouse, get a boomslang.
    2500dpi - max accuracy. think the microsofts and logitechs only go up to about 800?

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?action=info&AvdID=1&p=33908&s=np tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

I've looked in the rage3d forums about this subjest as my kensington optical just doesn't cut it for games. According to the guys there it seems to be a toss up between the boomslang and the MSIE3.0 with the intellimouse just about ahead. Thats what I'm going for anyway as its around 40 euro on komplett.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

i use the MS 3.0. I find its the best mouse ive ever used. It can be a little heavy to start(not that you will notice), but when you get used to it its perfect!

Some of the top counter-strike players use the ms3.0 aswell, and i feel its the best as its really comfy on the hand, the buttons are easy to click really fast aswell. The refresh rate is over 1000 afaik, and its 800 dpi. (im not sure what dpi is tho :P)

ms3.0 is the way to go!

• Advertisement

Originally posted by red_ice
    ms3.0 is the way to go!

Yep, I've heard its a great mouse. BUT, to buy the retail or bulk model?? Decisions, decisions...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

AFAIK the only differerence between retail and bulk is with retail you get a nice box, ms packaging etc. and with bulk you just get the mouse and cd "no frills".

Heres a pic of the retail model...

...and the bulk model, as shown on komplett.ie.

The retail pic was recently replaced with a picture of the box with mouse inside, but its apparent from these shots that the mice aren't the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭SickBoy

I could be wrong here but I'm almost certin the first pic is of the original MS Explorer Optical. The Explorer 3.0 is a little slimmer and has a higher DPI(800 I think as apposed to the 300 of the original).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,809 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

that bigger one is indeed the version 1 or 2, the slimmer one is version 3, and is the same in bulk or retail (i've bought both)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

its a good mouse, get it !

best ive found. light, easy to use, and 5 buttons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

When I bought my mouse I had the choice of bulk or regular. The difference in price was over 20 euro. The difference between the two was that with the bulk(or oem) didn't have anything with it at all. No box, no drivers. Nothing.

I just downloaded the latest drivers off microsoft and away I went. Saving a fair few bob along the way.

Just to note that I didn't get it off Komplett. I got it in a shop in Dublin(Dunno the name)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

oh yea... you dont even need drivers if you have winxp!

Advertisement