Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Intro to Short Message Service

• 27-03-2003 12:17am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭

Lo All

I've been looking at the FAQ list but couldn't find what I'm looking for which is, as the subject states, an introduction to SMS. In particular I'm looking to develop an application (C#) that sends SMS through a phone attached to the pc. I've found Smart Messaging and Muliti-Media Messaging on Nokia's site but is there any MUST READ articles/sites out there?

chahs
    Phil

<additional .../>
    I have googled but there's an awful lot of stuff to trawl through :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Originally posted by Evil Phil
    I've been looking at the FAQ list but couldn't find what I'm looking for which is, as the subject states, an introduction to SMS.
    Good point, I don't know of a good generic developers' FAQ on SMS (lot's on SMS related protocols and standards, but none on SMS in general, off the top of my head).
    In particular I'm looking to develop an application (C#) that sends SMS through a phone attached to the pc. I've found Smart Messaging and Muliti-Media Messaging on Nokia's site but is there any MUST READ articles/sites out there?
    You wouldn't use SMPP when talking to a phone connected to your PC.

You can connect your PC to you Nokia, using either IR, RS232, BT, etc. and then download the Nokia PC Connectivity SDK and import the libs into your project.

In theory you should also just be able to open up a com prot to you connected mobile and send it the necessary AT+CMG commands, but Nokia support for this is very patchy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭XbLaDe

In theory you should also just be able to open up a com prot to you connected mobile and send it the necessary AT+CMG commands, but Nokia support for this is very patchy.

I wrote a SmS java program to check messages/send messages using the javacomm api. Requesting the message and sending them can be done via AT commands. A full list of AT commands can be found on nokias website.

Even a siemens phone worked with the same program because of the simular AT commands.

Once you get C# to talk to a com port and receive data your half way there, ive seen a tutorial on this somewhere.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭XbLaDe

Advertisement