Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendations for digital photo printer?

• 27-03-2003 12:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 456 ✭✭

I posted this in Art/Anim/Photo, but I thougt I'd ask here too.

In short, I want to be able to print my digital photos so that they resemble the prints you get from normal film. 6" x 4" is fine, I don't necessarily need bigger, though that might be nice.

I've done some Googling, and came across the Hi-Ti 630PS, which looks good. Conns Cameras' web site list it at €435, don't know if that's including VAT. US web sites have it at $250 or thereabouts, I came across one that ships internationally for $85, ends up approx €320.

This printer is a dye-sublimation printer, which does 4-pass printing, the fourth being a protective clear layer. There's others out there, like the Olympus P330 and P400, Canon also do some. The Olympus P400 is interesting, it does just smaller than 8" x 10", but does other sizes and layouts too.

So, any recommendations, and also suppliers if possible?

Thanks,

Ciarán.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

I was in a hurry to get something and bought the above. Quality is good, prints up to A4 but **NOT** cheap to run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 456 ✭✭ceejay

That's an inkjet, right? I'm looking for a dye-sub printer, since the technology seems to give excellent results. All the models I've read about seem to give a print that is very close to what you'll get from a regular processed print.

Plus they all seem to add an extra clear UV-protective layer over the print, which the inkjet ones don't seem to do either. Also, the cost per print seems to be a lot less with the dye-sub printers when compared with inkjets.

Ciarán.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

Thanks for that. In that case I'll watch this thread also and when we get a recommendation I'll ditch the HP.

Advertisement