Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The End is nigh

• 27-03-2003 1:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭

Took the card out of my ex Sky sub UK box last night. On re insertion this message came up "Initialising new Sky Viewing Card .Please wait". Then the picture just came back on straight away. Does this mean that the new card for this box (which I don't have!) is now available and that if I don't get it I will one sad day be cut off. Anyone now when that day may be??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭carrolls

A person at the BBC (Card) helpdesk re-assured me that the old FTV cards would not be switched off.

Heres what the checking process does:
    New card sent out to a payed Sky customer.
    Two week timer starts in the box. (The customer is given 2 weeks to initialize new card)
    If the new card is inserted during that time, it is immediatly accepted. The old card is then disabled.
    If the old card is re-inserted or the box is rebooted during that two weeks it continues to work.
    After two weeks the old card is (partially)disabled.
    An annoying message keeps appearing on screen.
    After another (I think) week the old card is (totally) disabled.

Jez, as you are not a paying customer, a card is not sent out to you. Therefore a timer is never started on your FTV box.
    Maybe in the future Sky will set a timer on all FTV cards but at the moment the policy is that it is not set.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭jez

Thanks Carrolls for the informative answer. However,as mine is an ex Sky sub box is that still the case though??

Thanks

Jez

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Previously, a cancelled UK sub card = a FTV card.

So unless Sky take a real wobbler, whatever applies to FTV card is also true for UK cancelled Sub card.

Except you can renable a sub card for pay viewing in a bout 5 minutes with a phone call as Sky don't cancel the Direct Debit agreement when you cancel.

You can't enable an originally FTV only card for pay viewing as a contract has to be signed and usually Direct Debit, though I think they will take Credit Card.

A cancelled Irish card is worse than no card.... Only use is to open doors illegally or re-enable a subscription!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Originally posted by jez
    On re insertion this message came up "Initialising new Sky Viewing Card .Please wait".

i've been getting that message for ages when swapping cards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭TVDX

Well to hear that at some time or another Sky may decide to put a timer on the FTV cards is reason enough for me to continue what i set into motion a week ago, which is getting a new type FTV card, its on the way now, and i was sort of thinking i would just leave it to one side until my old FTV card actually expired if at all, but now i think ill press ahead.

• Advertisement
Advertisement