Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

THEM - by jon ronson

Options
  • 27-03-2003 2:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭

i've almost come to the end of this book, and i really is the most addictive book i've ever read! i really wish i wasn't ending and so i ask anyone that knows of this book and liked others of the same type:
    what should i read next?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Whilst I did not see the TV program these articles are based on, I enjoyed the book alot. The author writes very much as the innocent abroad, encountering strange people, yet manages to write about them in a sympathic light.
    My favour section is when he is in the entourage of Ian Paisley, doing missionary work in Africa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭Tyrrial

that chapter on Dr. Paisley made me so wonder why anyone would ever want to have anything to do with him....
    i personaly loved the conversation with the K.K.K. about the trouble they have washing their robes. and how they slip bits of cardboard into their hoods to keep them up-right.

although i did wonder durring the book why a jew would accually go to the trouble of interviewing people who perticuarly hated the jews!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭the fnj

Thanks to this book I realised everybody is crazy.

Everyone he interview's is an extremist in one direction or another even if some are aiming for admirable goals.

Really a great read.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Just started it yesterday. Hard to put it down so far.

next logical book to read seems to be stupid white men by michael moore, i love his other stuff so i know i'm bound to laugh a lot at this........

still think "Them" is going to be one of the best books i ever read.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Oh read Stupid White Men, certainly. After reading the first chapter you won't be able to stop making inverted comma motions when you use the words "president" and "bush" in the same breath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Wickhmar

'Them' is such a good book. One of my favorites, and if you like that kind of journalistic style and know what's good for you, now try Fear And Loathing in Las Vegas by Hunter S. Thomson. That book is truly hilarious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭deezoid

If you liked Them, here are the next logical books to read (in no particular order):

You Are Being Lied To: The Disinformation Guide to Media Distortion, Historical Whitewashes and Cultural Myths - Russ Kick
    Stupid White Men ... and Other Sorry Excuses for the State of the Nation! - Michael Moore
    Conspiracy Theories - David Southwell, Sean Twist
    The 70 Greatest Conspiracies of All Time: History's Biggest Mysteries, Coverups, and Cabals - Jonathan Vankin, John Whalen

In a similar vein, i.e. makes you think "F**k that! I'm never leaving my house or buying anything ever again!"
    No Logo - Naomi Klein
    Fast Food Nation: What the All-American Meal Is Doing to the World - Eric Schlosser

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭sanvean

i would've recommended much of the books deezoid did, as they're all fairly similar. i loved Them (and managed to catch the tv series as well). i can't remember if it was in the book or the tv series, but the interview with the woman from the anti-defemation league of b'nai b'raith (or however you spell it) was spooky. i don't think the author is a practicising jew, so maybe that made it easier to deal with anti-semites.

louis thereux (spelling again) acts in a very similar way to ron johnson or whatever he's called. all faux-innocent.

i've begun stupid white men....
    and it's very good, very different style to THEM but makes you never want to go near "preident" bush incase you loose controll and try to rip him apart with your bare hands!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭sanvean

stupid white men: leftist tabloid literature. michael moore should either learn to (a) construct his arguments better or (b) keep his mouth shut. his innacuracies leave him open to even the easiest of counter-arguments. very damaging for the left.

Advertisement