Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turn in The Village last night

Options
  • 27-03-2003 3:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭

Went along to see Turn play in the new Village venue last night, with Holden and Paddy Casey, and it was the best ever. The venue itself is pretty great, and both Holden and Turn played great sets. I'm not such a fan of Paddy Casey, but he wasn't bad. As far as gigs go, it was brilliant! Free entry, free booze, amazing bands, and crazy music afterwards to dance to. It really was the weirdest combination of music ever. It ranged from RATM to hip-hop, from The Pixies to r-n-b. Odd. I somehow got involved in a "who can dance crazier" competition with a random guy on the dancefloor, which was the most fun ever. I think I won. And Jack Hyland, me auld flower, he even came over for a quick hip hopping, bip bopping on the dancefloor. I didn't even attempt to get Brian D and Sinister Pete up grooving, as they were making sweet with da laydeez. Good stuff.

All in all, a great night. I'm glad there's now another good place to go instead of Whelans.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 the sublimed

Originally posted by beretta

All in all, a great night. I'm glad there's now another good place to go instead of Whelans.

even if they own it ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Do you think it would make a good venue for an indie club?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭lamda

Hmmm it was all a bit swanky for me.. where was the dank???
    Holden were atrocious crap.. Turn were the usual and I didn't subject myself to Paddy Casey. But cant wait to see Love there next week:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Raggamuffin

"Won't somebody please, save me from this misery"

always see your face huh?

indie club? nah it looks too posh.

problem with "indie" clubs is that a bunch of auld ones turn up to them trying to molest young girls who think the vines are fantabulous.

Whelans is cramped (the bar is in the worst possible place EVER)

The Oak/thomas reeds is alright but then again it's full of old people but then again the bouncers dont stop you from moshing around etc.

Isaac Butt's is on the northside...

It would be good if there was a decent night in Handels on fishamble st. for music...

ummm...
    i'm trying to think of a good place for a good night of music...

Ha nowhere...
    god dublin is quite shameful is'nt it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

Jesus, some people are never happy. Try livin in de countreeee, I bet theres some good venues out there....not

Be thankful for what youve got in a world where dance/pop/cheese rules the options of where punters have to go. I mean it would be kinda strange hearing pixies/femmes etc played in Club M or the Kitchen but lets face it, it aint gonna happen.
    Dublin has a good selection for the young uns and the (not so) old ones in the circumstizes.

Fu(k me, ppl are never happy.:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 389 ✭✭Morello

A good indie venue is the Lower Deck in Portobello: it's not too big and there's a great atmosphere, drinks are cheap and the mentioned "auld ones" don't bother you as they stay upstairs in the pub.

You should check The Ballroom Of Romance, that's probably the best indie night in Dublin. We played there last January and it's been great. Besides the admission is only €6 and the first 100 people get a free CD with one track of each band that's playing

Check www.ballroomofromance.com

It's on tonight featuring The 66 Electric, Holy Ghost Fathers, Aurel and Delorentos

If you're into indie that's good stuff

A.

Advertisement