Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running Hot

Options
  • 27-03-2003 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭

I'm just after building a PC for my folks - It has an MSI kt4v mother board and a Q-tec midi tower 6021cmd with a Athlon2200xp - the heatsink is coolmaster DP5 6J31C
    The nasty thing is the cpu and heatsink are stuck behind the PSU.

The idle temps are running way to high low to mid 70's.

I have been tinkering with the idea of adding a fan on the case (where the case is getting very warm) just over the cpu.

Any suggestions - new heatsink maybe???????

- I bought the system online so i didn't see the layout unfortunatly

BTW DO NOT BUY A MSI WITH A QTEC MIDI TOWER.........

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭macronot

Sorry Wrong board - can you delete this please

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

Originally posted by macronot
    Sorry Wrong board - can you delete this please

Why ?.......this would seem to be the perfect place for it

anyways , i had a problem like this recently , kinda , except mine was a p4 intel and i don't know anything about amd any more.

but just some quick questions , where are u reading the temp from bios or program and is it the sys temp or cpu kernel temp .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Are u sure th heatsink is the right way around on the mobo.ur temps should be 45-50 idle at the most

COMBATCOW

Originally posted by jonski

but just some quick questions , where are u reading the temp from bios or program and is it the sys temp or cpu kernel temp .
    Both - the program is about +4 degrees - it is the cpu temp.
    Originally posted by Combatcow

Are u sure th heatsink is the right way around on the mobo.

eh yes. If you know the Socket A, It can only go one way. (Unless you totally haven't got a clue.)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

macronot
    eh yes. If you know the Socket A, It can only go one way. (Unless you totally haven't got a clue.)

Iv never been so insulted in my whole life :eek: ....ne way YES the chip can only go one way but the heatsink can be put on back to front which i have seen twice in the last month,on my
    course ( pc maintenance )and would cause it to be out of line with the cpu and cause double the temps ( 85C on a AMD xp 1700+ ) insted of roughly 45C with a stock heatsink.just tryin to help btw ( dont bite my head off )

COMBATCOW

• Advertisement

Sorry Combatcow the statement wasn't meant to offend.

- In my mind i was thinking of the raise lip on the socket and the recess on the a socket A heatsink

Yes i see your point if it is in backward there is a big air gap.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

Originally posted by macronot
    Both - the program is about +4 degrees - it is the cpu temp.

the cpu kernel temp of a p4 is between 68 and 71

it is the sys temp that is important and should start arround room temp.........

Installed two fans last night one sucker on the front and a blow hole on the top

cpu temp is now a stable 60C - 61C

Thanks for your comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Still very hot, is that an idle temp?

I`ve an athlon cp 1800 running at 2200 speed, highest tmep is 50 degree`s after a few hours of donkey pr0n ripping

Originally posted by bazH
    Still very hot, is that an idle temp?

I`ve an athlon cp 1800 running at 2200 speed, highest tmep is 50 degree`s after a few hours of donkey pr0n ripping

That's under a mid load - the Pc will not be used for heavy loads.
    It the folks. ( All it will be used for is picture processing word, excel and internet - it a shame really but they wanted a faster system)

I have done a bit of research for the 2200xp and the normal running temps are 60 - 65C. The Max load is either 80 85 90 - see amd web site ( i forgot to look at the chip to see what letter was in the serial) - I recon it is 85.

Esentially i was concerned with the heat build up in the top of the case (where the cpu is) causing the cpu temp to rise, there was no airflow - the top blow hole has taken care of this.

:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement