Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running Hot

• 27-03-2003 5:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭

I'm just after building a PC for my folks - It has an MSI kt4v mother board and a Q-tec midi tower 6021cmd with a Athlon2200xp - the heatsink is coolmaster DP5 6J31C
    The nasty thing is the cpu and heatsink are stuck behind the PSU.

The idle temps are running way to high low to mid 70's.

I have been tinkering with the idea of adding a fan on the case (where the case is getting very warm) just over the cpu.

Any suggestions - new heatsink maybe???????

- I bought the system online so i didn't see the layout unfortunatly

BTW DO NOT BUY A MSI WITH A QTEC MIDI TOWER.........

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

extraction fans . get the excess heat out and one bringing air in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

If you can get your hands on some stiff light cardboard you could make a chimney ... just make a funnel that leads from the psu/heatsink to a fan that is blowing out ... allows you to use a less powerful (noisy) fan .. just make sure that you don't get one that isn't up to the job ...:cool:
    Otherwise just use two fans like elexes says ... make sure you look inside the case every now and then, that fan sucking in air is also sucking in dust ... and you just know that nearly every last bit of that dust will sit inside the case on top of all your components ... making a nice warm blanket for all of them ...
    :eek: (you dont want that)..

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭macronot

Thanks Guys
    I will be buying two fans today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 946 ✭✭✭XDA

Hi Macronot

You also need to make sure that your heatsink is properly seated on the CPU. Use a small amount of quality thermal paste on the bottom of the heatsink where it makes contact with the CPU, this will ensure the best possible transmission of heat from the CPU to the heatsink.

For the case fans, if you've got a tower case, positioni your intake fan near the bottom of the case, and your exhaust fan near the top (hot air rises).

Thermal paste can be bought cheaply from Peats and Komplett.

In the meantime, leave the computer off, temperatures of 70+ are running pretty close to the point where you could burn out the CPU, and you don't want to do that.

Regards

XDA

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭macronot

Installed two fans last night one sucker on the front and a blow hole on the top

cpu temp is now a stable 60C - 61C

Thanks for your comments.

• Advertisement
Advertisement