Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ABit KD7 / XP2000+ system temp.

Options
  • 27-03-2003 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭

I've an ABit KD7 with an Athlon XP2000+. CPU was retail so was supplied with fan. The problem I'm having is that the system temperature seems rather high, idles about 55C, raises to 58c on full load after a few minutes. CPU temp is 52C idle which seems fine?

[1] Is the system temperature too high or is this normal?

[2] I've a case fan sucking air in at the front (bottom), and a slot blower at the back sucking air out (middle) - just below the AGP card. There's nowhere else to mount a fan other than buying another case. If the sys temp appears too high, anybody have any reasonable ;) suggestions on how to reduce it.

Thx

D.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Depending on where the temp measurement is taken from that doesn't sound too bad. I had a similar concern about my xp2000 which was reporting about 60 - 65 degrees. A 20 minute trawl through the AMD website shows their upper operating limit is 90 degrees.
    I presumed that was the on-die temperature and that my reading was from the mobo/BIOS so to be on the safe side I bought a better heatsink and fan.
    Maybe somebody can confirm where the BIOS reported temp is taken from and how much this is likely top vary from the on-die temp?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭dazberry

That problem is that I've nothing to reference this against as such. The only comparable machines I have are a Duron 900 and 1100 (and a lump of P2 machines).

The Abit board provides a raft of information beyond that of the others, i.e. system, CPU surface and CPU core.

The CPU core is hot, comparing the CPU surface against everything else (relatively) seems fine. Just the system temperature does seem that bit hot, but can't really say for sure.

What didn't help was Sandra 2002 warning me about the system temperature being above 50C. The 900mhz box has been running all day and its at 41C. Same cases- just different innards. The Athlon XP machine has been on now for about 5 minutes in the BIOS and reporting 53C system / 51C surface / 64 core temperatures.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭BabyEater

You say your system temps are 55-58C and your cpu is 52 .
    I take it that your system temps are case temps which is very high alright are you sure you are getting the temps right as the system is usually coller than the cpu.
    58C for a case temp is very high and is definitly not normal

Milltown the BIOS CPU temps are either taken from the in socket thermometer on the on-die termometer depending on which motherboard you have . Either of these temps are not very acurate and can be out by 10C

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

from what im see you have a crap case its holding the heat inside . get some extraction fans . ive 2 amd systems xp 2000 and a xp 2100 the 2100 case temp is always around 52-54. and the other about 52-56 . i dont have all the extraction fans turned on in that one due to noize .

but it dosnt sound to bad

Originally posted by elexes
    from what im see you have a crap case its holding the heat inside . get some extraction fans . ive 2 amd systems xp 2000 and a xp 2100 the 2100 case temp is always around 52-54. and the other about 52-56 . i dont have all the extraction fans turned on in that one due to noize .

I've 3 of these cases and I really like them, but I'm getting the impression that you could be right. In fairness I think the air flow is primarily going through the bottom half of the case, while the heat is getting trapped under the PSU.

Had a game of GTA3 today and the case temp didn't go above 56, guess the house was a bit warm last night - machine is under a desk but has airflow. Might try a parallel port blower (Maplins used to sell them) if I can get one and there's cut outs for extra parallel ports in the offending area - save's me having to either buy a new case or mod the existing one.

Aside
    The case fan I have has 3 leds on it (rgb), obviously doesn't look much in my case, but I reckon it'd look pretty cools in a case with a transparent side panel. IT Direct are selling them.

D.

• Advertisement

Thx to those that posted in reply. I got a parallel blower thingy and punched out the space of an extra parallel adapter in the case itself. Temp stays at 50 while idle after use, and 54 on full load. Not at the magic < 50, but atleast I've an idea of other setups now. Thanks again.

D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Jorinn

By Xp2000 I presume you're using the ubiquitous and seemingly very hot running palomino chip, I have one two and it did run at those kinda speeds. Just so you know it is possible to get it down to a pretty steady 42.5 degrees with just fans. My heatsink is just a crappy coolermaster jobby that doesn't seem to do much but keep the herat steady. What I did manage to get my hands on were 3 server fans that thourgh about air at about 2.5 - 3 times that of the LED fans you might find in IT Direct etc. I have two blowing out and 1 blowing in. Takes about 10 degrees off. Sound a bit like a boeing jumbo jet though. Still room for improvement for them though, I intend to cut out the metal at the back with the holes on it for better air throughput. Might take it down another degree or two, or even below 40, seems to be restricting air a lot at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

Can the AMD's really make it up to 90? I was worried at mine running in the mid-fifties.

If anyone is worried about their system getting too hot - my solution is a Zalman flower heatsink, and an aluminium Chieftec case. Lots of fans probably work too, but they'll get noisy. My system temp stays down around thirty and the hottest my cpu (XP2000+) has gotten to is 58.

----

Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

well u should use water cooling . after i installed it into the new system o mine it made a very big difference i had rufley the same problom with a xp2100 but now it dosnt go over 52c idels at about 48c there is practicly no noise at all

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Dazberry that's the same processor as mine and i am thinking of buying that KD7 mobo,apart from ur heat issues whats the board like,can u overclock the processor much ( maybe u didn't try with ur already high temp's ) wot ddr ram are u using ? .Iv got am Abit KT7a and the palomino xp 2000+ with 11 fans in total in my case ,the cpu temp is 30C and a system temp if 15C:D ( wot u expect with 11 fans ) ne way, anyone else with the kt400 chipset whats overclocking like ?

COMBATCOW

• Advertisement

Combatcow if you are thinking about overclocking get an nForce board with its fixed AGP and PCI buses. 200fsb is pretty easy to get on the new revision northbridge chips.You could wait for the KT400A either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Catsmokinpot

funnily enough i have that very same motherboard with an xp 2400. and, i had exactly that same problem. my cpu was running at over 60C which was needless to say worrying. My friend suggested i had the fan plugged in to the wrong socket which i totally dismissed as being stupid. but i looked in my bios and my cpu fan didnt have an RPM which was wierd and it turned out he was exactly right their was three processor fan sockets and plugging it in to one of the others gave it a little bit of extra power to cool it down. now it runs at 49C - 50C

BabyEater
    Combatcow if you are thinking about overclocking get an nForce board with its fixed AGP and PCI buses. 200fsb is pretty easy to get on the new revision northbridge chips.You could wait for the KT400A either

Na i dont really want an nforce mobo,the main reason i want the Abit KD7 is that the KT400 chipset is suppost to 'unlock' the processor making it easier to overclock,plus Abit boards have allways been good for me,but i dunno if i can wait for the KT400A chipset ( it's suppost to give you a 15% performance increase ),ne 1 know when it will be out ? , and can ne 1 tell me bout overclocking with the KT400 chipset ( from experience ).

CombatCow

The nForce boards unlock all the multiplers on my tbred , i also like abit meself thats why i got the NF7-s Rev 2 on special from Komplett

Well i want ahead and ordert the Abit KD7 on sunday night ( got it tues morning ) from komplett,got 512 crucial ddr 2700 ram and another WD 120 Gig hdd , ne way i was just wondering about installing the motherboard,can i just swap the old mobo ( Abit KT7A ) with the new one and install the new drivers ,or will i have to re-install win 2k ??? which i dont wanna do if i can help it !!! , did u guys just change mobo's and install new drivers or remove the motherboard components in add/remove hardware then replace it ?
    Thx CombatCow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

I have a KD7 mobo 2, the overclocking options are brilliant big voltage increases, decent fsb & multiplier options. Using an xp1800 t.bred - no unlocking needed. Sweet board. - Also have the asus a7n8x, havent had time to play around with it shud be fun.

Advertisement