Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

getting taxed?

Options
  • 27-03-2003 11:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭

hi all,

I bought my car last october and part of the deal was the car was going to be taxed till april'03. Now april is only a few days away, how do I go about getting a tax disc? Its my first car so I don't have any experiance of it. Whats the procedure for this?

ta

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Scratch that....

Oasis has the answers!! :D

http://www.oasis.gov.ie/transport/motoring/motor_tax_rates.html

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

You have a tax disc on the car ya?

Go to your local motor taxation office, and pick up a motor tax renewal form. Fill it out, then bring it back in with your vehicle licencing cert (the one describing your car), your long insurance cert, and the cash, and they'll print you out one on the spot.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Assuming the car is now registered in your name, you will normally receive notification by post shortly before you need to get a new tax disc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Remember that although the disk says 03/03
    you have up to a months grace before you have to
    start paying arrears, but the garda will proberly have got you before then! :D

As said above its dead simple - but do make sure you have ALL the documents not just a few disks in your sweaty hands. Oh and be willing to sit and wait for an hour before your number is called! Deffo best by post
    these days...

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Pimp Ninja

Mine's up since 02 03. I havent been given out to yet ;p Due to time constraints i havent had a chance. However it will be backdated when I get time.

Anyway, coming twoard the end of the month, assuming the car is registered in your name, you will get a renewal form in the post. Take this, your licencing cert, and your insurance cert, to the local Motor Taxation Office.

If you didnt get a renewal form in the post, you will need your vehicle licencing cert, your insurance cert, some cash and this form. Go into the Motor Taxation Offices, and take a ticket.

You should only go to the queue immediately if you have the computer form, they have examples of this on the walls of the offices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

thanks guys,

My tax disc says 04/03 so I guess I have till the end of april then ;)

The car is definatly under my name as I got the form a few weeks after buying the car saying I was the registered owner !

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭rachel

I won't bother with a new thread for this as it's along the same lines...
    I bought my car (used) last week and the tax was up on it so when I was at the garage, I got the old tax certs, belonging to the woman who owned the car before me. So how do I go about getting the car taxed now in my name and can I do it by post?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

There is the vehicle licensing certificate, which the Garage should have filled in your details, and posted it off. If they didn't they're bold, but just fill in your own details and post it off. You won't be able to tax your car until you have that in your own name. (I think)

Form RF 100 A

and..

Oasis is your friend

Remember that if, for example, the tax on your new car expired at the end of January, and you bought the car in April - YOU ARE NOT REQUIRED TO PAY THE ROAD TAX FOR THE INTERVENING MONTHS. Just stick it into the 'Past Owner Period' Section on the above form.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Go to your local motor taxation office, and pick up a motor tax renewal form. Fill it out, then bring it back in with your vehicle licencing cert (the one describing your car), your long insurance cert, and the cash, and they'll print you out one on the spot.

The above is from earlier this thread....have you transfered the ownership from the seller to buyer?

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭rachel

not yet.... but the transfer forms have been signed by the vendor and I have them ready to go...

I assume I just go in with the lot? I called the tax office today and they didn't seem to have a definite answer for me...

• Advertisement
Advertisement