Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

smug CW CTFer's

Options
  • 15-04-1998 11:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭

"if your talking about CTF then I do feel that there's absolutely no clan out there in Ireland that could take us 6 on 6 or 7 on 7 in CTF."said Blade on Bubbles page which I just read in my half comatose state this morning.

Hold on there, you haven't given us a game yet, we were playing CTF all last summer, I don't mean no evening fraglimit 150 games either, I mean 12 player 5 hour games (with smoke breaks) on the trinity lan. Things have changed and its hard to get that many comps nowadays, but it would be class to scrape together some of the old players (I remember Zeus pasting most people at leprecon who hadn't played in months) and have a game with you.

Dave

Levels:
    The ancient Wargrounds.
    The StrongBox.

Here's the old lineup
    Kaile (Quake_granny)
    Menthal
    Me
    Reaper
    Rex
    Joe
    Ace_Ventura
    Regi (as some other name)
    Spectre
    FreeFrag (as some other name)
    Koopatroopa (Gib-o-matic)
    Dupre
    Zeus
    Lifeless
    and a good few others I can't remember...oohh arrr the old days

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

: "if your talking about CTF then I do feel that there's absolutely no clan out there in Ireland that could take us 6 on 6 or 7 on 7 in CTF."said Blade on Bubbles page

hmmm......
    Overlord
    Ser
    Krusty
    Tsunami
    Chaos
    Destroyer
    Sideshowbob

name a day and pick ure level, my boyz will rape you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

: : "if your talking about CTF then I do feel that there's absolutely no clan out there in Ireland that could take us 6 on 6 or 7 on 7 in CTF."said Blade on Bubbles page

: hmmm......
    : Overlord
    : Ser
    : Krusty
    : Tsunami
    : Chaos
    : Destroyer
    : Sideshowbob

: name a day and pick ure level, my boyz will rape you.

Haha!

John.
    --

: I think Blade was really only inferring that there's no HIGH ping CTF teams that could give us a good game
    >> I do feel that there's absolutely no clan out there in Ireland that could take us

: Out of that nD team only Krusty and maybe Overlord knows their CTF stuff really well.

Tsunami is the best CTFer in nD. Explaining tactics for a certain level to a decent player takes all of 30 seconds. If you're that confident take us on Von. I mightn't be playing anymore but I guarantee you will lose. Definitely to CT too. I know Blade wasn't stirring it when he said that but u seem to stand by it. If LPBs hurt you that much nD will play proxies.

Vesuvius. (Warcraft ll, the best non-Q game on God's Earth!!).

You get my mail about the PC?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭Bunny

: Nobody plays those mickey mouse levels.

Thats because they aren't on any servers, so people don't play em, its all a matter of what you are used to.

: Emm..Are you saying that we all play from modems and you lot play with 50 pings (except Dest who is rubbish at CTF anyway.) Well thats very fair isn't it ? :) Out of that nD team only Krusty and maybe Overlord knows their CTF stuff really well.

I cant speak for nD, but LAN obviously, I mean
    the thing at Vexborgs was great, and I'm sure there'll be plenty of machines at the next Quakefest or whatever.

: I think Blade was really only inferring that there's no HIGH ping CTF teams that could give us a good game though we should give GLOW a match.

: If LPB clans play us, either they play with modems like us or else we play on our own machines on a LAN.

: Is this going to descend into another LPB v HPW slagging match? Goody.

-Dave

:Explaining tactics for a certain level to a :decent player takes all of 30 seconds.

Emm.. That's a bit like saying explaining a 1 on 1 DM level or a team DM level takes 30 seconds. It doesn't unless you talk as fast as Koopatroopa.

: If you're that confident take us on Von. I :mightn't be playing anymore but I guarantee you :will lose. Definitely to CT too. I know Blade :wasn't stirring it when he said that but u seem :to stand by it.

Here, don't be having a go at me. Blade's the smug one. :)

: If LPBs hurt you that much nD will play proxies.

No proxies. Use modems or nothing. Real lag. Or how about you use modems and we get 50 pings from somewhere?

: Vesuvius. (Warcraft ll, the best non-Q game on God's Earth!!).

I like Close Combat 2 meself. Superior AI to anything else and great crack head to head.

: You get my mail about the PC?

Nope. Your mail server effed again?

• Advertisement

:
    : : Nobody plays those mickey mouse levels.

: Thats because they aren't on any servers, so people don't play em, its all a matter of what you are used to.

Well, I'd like to state well in advance in case we do play youse at a quakefest that we're not playing those levels. Original quake ctf levels that everyone knows only. Only Kosh and I have played the custom ones much and we hate the damn things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Rhob

:
    : :
    : : : Nobody plays those mickey mouse levels.

: : Thats because they aren't on any servers, so people don't play em, its all a matter of what you are used to.

: Well, I'd like to state well in advance in case we do play youse at a quakefest that we're not playing those levels. Original quake ctf levels that everyone knows only. Only Kosh and I have played the custom ones much and we hate the damn things.

Thats ridiculous. The custom ones are actually designed for CTF, ie they're symmetrical, are laid out fairly, have strong tactical points that need to be guarded, more than one way into each base etc. Ah the good old days of iol ctf....

Shut up. They're boring BECAUSE they're symmetrical.

: Thats ridiculous. The custom ones are actually designed for CTF, ie they're symmetrical, are laid out fairly, have strong tactical points that need to be guarded, more than one way into each base etc. Ah the good old days of iol ctf....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭SeP

: Shut up. They're boring BECAUSE they're symmetrical.
    damn right!! they do kinda suck :/

. Ah the good old days of iol ctf....
    u actually played Quake on an IOL server
    John Breslin QUote "Haha!"
    :)
    SeP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭SeP

damn right!! they do kinda suck :/

. Ah the good old days of iol ctf....
    u actually played Quake on an IOL server
    John Breslin QUote "Haha!"
    :)
    SeP

• Advertisement

>Hold on there, you haven't given us a game yet, >we were playing CTF all last summer, I don't >mean no evening fraglimit 150 games either, I >mean 12 player 5 hour games (with smoke breaks) >on the trinity lan. Things have changed and its >hard to get that many comps nowadays, but it >would be class to scrape together some of the >old players (I remember Zeus pasting most people >at leprecon who hadn't played in months) and >have a game with you.

>Dave

>Levels:
    >The ancient Wargrounds.
    >The StrongBox.

Nobody plays those mickey mouse levels.

: : hmmm......
    : : Overlord
    : : Ser
    : : Krusty
    : : Tsunami
    : : Chaos
    : : Destroyer
    : : Sideshowbob

: : name a day and pick ure level, my boyz will rape you.

Emm..Are you saying that we all play from modems and you lot play with 50 pings (except Dest who is rubbish at CTF anyway.) Well thats very fair isn't it ? :) Out of that nD team only Krusty and maybe Overlord knows their CTF stuff really well.

I think Blade was really only inferring that there's no HIGH ping CTF teams that could give us a good game though we should give GLOW a match.

If LPB clans play us, either they play with modems like us or else we play on our own machines on a LAN.

Is this going to descend into another LPB v HPW slagging match? Goody.

no proxies to lag us ? well isnt that all very handy - sure we cany play ye then.
    Whats wrong with the proxy anyway? I thought all the CW lads thought it was real lag
    when u were down in UL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Tomb

: : "if your talking about CTF then I do feel that there's absolutely no clan out there in Ireland that could take us 6 on 6 or 7 on 7 in CTF."said Blade on Bubbles page

: hmmm......
    : Overlord
    : Ser
    : Krusty
    : Tsunami
    : Chaos
    : Destroyer
    : Sideshowbob

: name a day and pick ure level, my boyz will rape you.

Hmm.. I've played against Beast when he was playing from UL and the lad was absolutely awesome. No disrespect meant to the lads mentioned above, but he's in a different league to ya CTF-wise.

No doubt in my mind, that on equal terms (pings etc) we'd beat you convincingly.

Tomb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Tomb

: no proxies to lag us ? well isnt that all very handy - sure we cany play ye then.
    : Whats wrong with the proxy anyway? I thought all the CW lads thought it was real lag
    : when u were down in UL

Forget proxies, we wouldn't be playing quakeworld anyway since QW CTF is rubbish.

Tomb

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

: no proxies to lag us ? well isnt that all very handy - sure we cany play ye then.
    : Whats wrong with the proxy anyway? I thought all the CW lads thought it was real lag
    : when u were down in UL

Wait don't miss read it OL, he said because the proxy is for QW and QW CTF Sucks
    that thats out of the question. And as regards the proxy being "real lag" it's only
    real lag if you get it to emulate a 28800 modem which adds packet loss too, but no
    one can tell if you are actually doing this or simple adding 150 onto your ping.
    I explain more about this in my next message...

Blade

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

: : I think Blade was really only inferring that there's no HIGH ping CTF teams that could give us a good game

: : Out of that nD team only Krusty and maybe Overlord knows their CTF stuff really well.

: Tsunami is the best CTFer in nD. Explaining tactics for a certain level to a decent player takes all of 30 seconds. If you're that confident take us on Von. I mightn't be playing anymore but I guarantee you will lose. Definitely to CT too. I know Blade wasn't stirring it when he said that but u seem to stand by it. If LPBs hurt you that much nD will play proxies.

First of all in my interview I was talking about HPB CTF clan which is what
    we are, hence the reason for us having to organise a "Best of the rest"
    team to play us. But now that you mention it Zero I don't think your line-
    up would stand a chance against us, no disrespect but Overlord and Krusty
    are the only ones who are good at CTF in your line-up, and before u say
    anything yes I have seen the others you listed playing CTF. Ser is a frag
    God but he's not a CTF'er nor does he claim to be any good at it. I fail
    to see how you seem to think that a dm'er can become a CTF'er in 30 secs.
    I don't think Overlord became that good in 30 seconds, do you? Funny how
    we're playing CTF for a year and a half and we're still learning new tricks.
    Inc play a lot of CTF but not as much as Glow have and this showed up in
    Vex's house when Glow beat Inc at CTF, but let these 2 clans play DM and
    Inc would beat if not hammer Glow, in fact I think they did.

Don't worry we have no problem playing yous in CTF once the odds are fair
    on both sides, yes that means pings and the use of our own machines. I think
    thats fair don't you? so the only way we're gonna achieve this is if you
    guys play on modems or maybe we meet at the next quakefest?

Or are you going to tell me now that pings mean nothing?
    well yes I have beaten low pingers before but thats because
    they either sucked or just played bad on the day. I played Devore when
    he had 30 ping and I had 200 on DM6 and he hammered me 10 - 1, then when
    devore got home as an experiment we played again with 200 to 200 pings
    on the same level and the scores were reversed. So don't f**king tell me
    that pings don't make a difference. One of the LPB's that I have the
    utmost respect for is OverLord, he's the only one who always uses
    a proxy to try to level out pings on a server, some of you seem to
    enjoy being the only 30 pinger on a FFA with 7 or 8 other 200 pingers.
    I'm sure it's great fun for yous, but I will leave a game on SRV1 when
    I'm running circles around yanks with 400 pings, no sorry but I don't
    get a kick out of it and neither does Overlord. It would be very easy for
    us CW to be "SMUG" on SRV1 if we wanted to. It's a lot harder for the CT
    lads to use the proxy as they don't have their own machines but I know
    some of them have tried to.

Regarding the proxy to higher your ping, yes it works well to give you
    a delay in firing, typing text and it makes you slide as if you were
    lagged but from a T3 you can still have your RATE set at 10,000 and
    you will have feck all packet loss so it's not the same as using a
    modem unless you set the proxy to emulate a modem with the bandwidth
    and packet loss settings.

Now before all you LPB's start jumping down my throat, all I'm stating
    here are the facts about pings, I don't mind playing lpb's because it's
    more of a challenge so don't start accusing me of whining, all I'm
    saying is if you guys think that we're "SMUG" then think very f**king
    carefully what you say when you frag someone with a 200 ping in future.
    The least you could do is acknowledge what other people are playing
    against, and yes I have to say that since I've started playing Quake
    the only LPB I've met who seems to acknowledge this is Overlord and very
    few others who have had to play from modems when they go home from college.

Regards,
    Blade

• Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Vexorg

Well said Blade

I find it hard to believe that you can teach a good player the tactics of CTF in 30 seconds. You need to practice the game. Even using the grapple takes time. How do you explain to someone how to get past a base defense especially when there is more than one line of defense.

In fact not only do i find it hard to believe, i find it impossible to believe.

Ive been playing CTF for over a year now and while I am not the best at the game being limited by my joystick, I can give most players a good run in CTF. I can tell you hear and now that CW are not boasting when they say that there is no HPB challange for them, they will and have beaten every clan into the ground. Sure if any of them join a server with a match going on, they can turn a game single handed.

If I were a betting man, my money would be on CW taking all comers.

As for this LPB vs HPB stuff, Im a recent neuvo LPB and I like it, my scores have gone way up, I am pulling stunts that were impossible with my 250 ping and thats with 64k isdn, imagine what i could do from a college line

I have seen some of the college LPBs play CTF, in fact if memory serves me I saw Tsunami last year some time on one of the ctf servers and yes he was good, he was an LPB, but I wasnt impressed, he didnt get one of those way out on top scores that some of the CW guys get.

So I say, set up a lan somewhere, where everyone is equal and play the game, I can tell you now what the result will be.

No offense guys, but CW will take CT and ND no problem. You are up against the toughest opposition I have ever seen. And smug is not the word for it.

This is my opinion, I have not seen you guys play as a team, Blade was not smug, he simply voiced an opinion when asked a question in an interview. Im sure that CW would be happy to play you and all thing being equal, will give you the best game of CTF you have ever played.

Vexorg.

: : no proxies to lag us ? well isnt that all very handy - sure we cany play ye then.
    : : Whats wrong with the proxy anyway? I thought all the CW lads thought it was real lag
    : : when u were down in UL

: Wait don't miss read it OL, he said because the proxy is for QW and QW CTF Sucks
    : that thats out of the question. And as regards the proxy being "real lag" it's only
    : real lag if you get it to emulate a 28800 modem which adds packet loss too, but no
    : one can tell if you are actually doing this or simple adding 150 onto your ping.
    : I explain more about this in my next message...

: Blade
    Fair enough but as a point of fact Irish modemers get less packet-loss
    than us LPBs in Uni. Devore experiences the kind of packetloss were accustomed
    to. But that maybe just to Tinet servers - theyre very bad lately

[snip]
    : Fair enough but as a point of fact Irish modemers get less packet-loss
    : than us LPBs in Uni. Devore experiences the kind of packetloss were accustomed
    : to. But that maybe just to Tinet servers - theyre very bad lately

Yep,

The Tinet Servers suck at the moment not only from my connection, but also from Vex's
    ISDN, that was hitting 300+ Ping at some stages yesterday.

Back to the topic, CW imho will trash any other team in Ireland at CTF. Tomb and Beast alone
    would destroy most Clans, but then add Von, Cream, Kosh, Blade and the grumpy bollix Koloth and
    I can't see a team matching them. I mean no offense as regards DM CT -)

[whoops] this was part of the above post :-

I mean no offense as regards DM CT -)

• Advertisement

: : no proxies to lag us ? well isnt that all very handy - sure we cany play ye then.
    : : Whats wrong with the proxy anyway? I thought all the CW lads thought it was real lag
    : : when u were down in UL

: Wait don't miss read it OL, he said because the proxy is for QW and QW CTF Sucks
    : that thats out of the question. And as regards the proxy being "real lag" it's only
    : real lag if you get it to emulate a 28800 modem which adds packet loss too, but no
    : one can tell if you are actually doing this or simple adding 150 onto your ping.

you can not just make it say 300 when your ping is 50.
    you specify the percentage packet loss!

: I explain more about this in my next message...

arrrrrr
    Of course those wonderful 'finish allied quakers'
    have a normal quake proxy!
    O and yea as far as 'real lag', it may be 'artificial' with
    the proxy but it is the same.
    : Blade

: Back to the topic, CW imho will trash any other team in Ireland at CTF. Tomb and Beast alone
    : would destroy most Clans, but then add Von, Cream, Kosh, Blade and the grumpy bollix Koloth and

You think I was grumpy when I was playing in Ireland? You should see me now:

1) Totally jet lagged. I can look at a white wall and still see lots of different colors.
    2) Running NT Server on a P133 with a crap soundcard
    3) No Quake
    4) 60 channels on TV, most of them rubbish

But at least there's free beverages over here and the pizza is great.

I dread to think how the indigo servers are fairing without me. All those gimps wandering around levels without me to whip them into order. I'll have to be in an extra grumpy mood when I get back.

But at least I can still access this board. And what a load of shiite all this crap about CW has been. I'll stop typing now before the voices in my head start talking to me again and make me angry.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

: : Blade
    : Fair enough but as a point of fact Irish modemers get less packet-loss
    : than us LPBs in Uni. Devore experiences the kind of packetloss were accustomed
    : to. But that maybe just to Tinet servers - theyre very bad lately

This is true. OLs Packet loss is horrific.
    Sometimes as high as 25-50%

Regarding Blades earlier point ping makes quite a difference
    and I did beat Blade in a DM that he would normally have beaten me
    on. I DID play well and I was used to the lan and got a good connection.
    But in my opinion it makes quite a difference.

This doesn't precluded the possiblity that LPBs can be excellent
    players themselves, (which is the point where everyone seems to take
    a long hard look at logic and then f\/ck it out the window.)

DeVore who is not going to be dragged into this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Rhob

: : Thats ridiculous. The custom ones are actually designed for CTF, ie they're symmetrical, are laid out fairly, have strong tactical points that need to be guarded, more than one way into each base etc. Ah the good old days of iol ctf....

It's undeniable that a symmetrical level makes for fairer play. Some of the levels u play are layed out soooo badly, you can stroll into one base, and have to like trigger six lifts and set off a burglar alarm to get into the other.

: It's undeniable that a symmetrical level makes for fairer play. Some of the levels u play are layed out soooo badly, you can stroll into one base, and have to like trigger six lifts and set off a burglar alarm to get into the other.

In e4m3 which base is the best to have ?

Advertisement