Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nethack ? What do you think of it?

Options
  • 28-03-2003 12:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭

Those of you that played Nethack, what did you think of it? I have played ADOM and found it quite good. I guess Nethack is the grand daddy of them all. I'm about to try it out and see what I think. ADOM's corruption idea kinda ruins the idea of a free for all fighter... later in the game I'm always a mutated freak exhaling sulphur! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Thorbar

Nethack is the text based game where you're the little @ sign running around? Messed around with that a few times but never got into it. I can see the appeal alright but I always perfered the MUDs.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

nethack is a great game... way ahead of its time. You know you can train your pet to steal things from the shop... wait for him to pick something up... then wait for him to randomly stand close to you and then give him some food. He'll drop what he had and take the food. You can then pick up the item.

Do this a few times and you'll find he "learns" that if he brings you something he'll get food. After a few more times you will have a veritable cat burgular (excuse the pun :) )

The Keystone Kops are a laugh too... Theres SO MUCH to the game it takes an age to even read all about the kooky things you can do!

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Rnger

I hate when people use abbreveations for things i dont know!

ADOM?

Also I would'nt mind a link or two now and then...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭The Brigadier

NetHack is great.. And you can get versions now with graphical tile sets to spruce it up a bit. You can even play it on a Pocket PC.... I play it on my XDA all the time...

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Where can you get Pocket Nethack for the Pocket PC???

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭hamster

ADOM is for Ancient Domains of Mystery which can be found at http://www.adom.de/

It's a class game which is very like NetHack. I tried ADOM 2 years ago and want to get back into it. I just wish my character would not slowly get corrupted (ie grow horns giving you less Dx etc.... so I could just spend more time adventuring at my leisure.

Nethack seems good but has a lot more keys than Adom again. Adom comes with an excellent Intro Manual. Recommend! Anyone already try it? Anyone with experience stories with Nethack?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭The Brigadier

PM me your e-mail Tom and I'll send it to you...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Rnger

Played a bit of net hack. I walk around a dungeon kicking doors down and killing things until i get hungry and die.

I've tried eating dead monsters and isnt very effective. What am i to do? Going above ground exits the game. Im confused!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

I downloaded NetHack quite recently and played with it a bit. To be honest it hasn't got a look in because I downloaded Rogue at the same time and played that instead.

Rogue is really the grandaddy of them all and a great game to boot. You might try it out as an intro to NetHack if you find the number of keystrokes intimidating.

I have an idea for a game quite similar to these if I ever get off my arse and learn to really program!

Advertisement