Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pet treats

Options
  • 28-03-2003 12:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭

Whatdo you give to ur pets as treats ?

Our cat has so far turned up his nose to all the shop bough stuff but can be utterly bribed with a sauage or a slice of ham.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

someone got me an animal stocking for xmas for my kittens and they loved it, little salmon flavoured treats.

we dont usually give the cats treats though, we give the dogs everything (my dogs eat fruit!) and the parrot gets all kinds of stuff (as long as its not too salty) he loves prawn crackers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Ms Taken

i give my cats a tin of salmon or tuna on their birthdays!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭Lexie

Our dogs love chewing the crusts of pizzas. They also love cheese, yoghurt, and especially chocolate. You cant enjoy a bar of chocolate in peace with them jumping all over you. The minute you open the fridge they are at your ankles. Its funny to see them get so excited over chocolate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Don1

You can't give dogs ordinary chocolate. It can kill em!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭Lexie

I know chocolate is bad for dogs but a little every now and then doesnt hurt. My dogs are aged 7 & 8 and they are healthy as ever. When we brought one of them to the vet to have a tooth extracted, he commented on how good his teeth were for a dog of that breed. I have yet to hear of a dog that has died from eating chocolate. Maybe it does kill them but it must be very rare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Hate to say it but the man is partly right:

Chocolate contains theobromine (a compound similar to caffeine) which is poisonous to dogs. A dose of 50 mg/lb can be fatal to a dog. Milk chocolate contains 45 mg of theobromine per ounce and unsweetened baking chocolate contains 400 mg per ounce. Just one ounce of unsweetened baking chocolate can kill a small breed dog. Theobromine when ingested by dogs causes release of epinephrine (adrenaline) which causes the heart to race and serious cardiac arrhythmias to develop. Signs of chocolate poisoning in dogs include vomiting, diarrhea, excessive urination, hyperactivity followed by depression and coma, seizures, and death.
    source: http://www.vetheart.com/choc.html

It'll take a fairly large amount of it to kill a normal/large sized dog.
    It depends on the amount of theobromine in that particular type of chocolate. Baking chocolate for one is extremely high (and coco powder). It'll also depend on the particular dog's metabolism. This can even change over a course of a dog's life, so be very careful.
    Generally though it mostly affects small dogs.

Dogs *do* die from eating chocolate. It unfortunately does happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Ms Taken

There are special choccie drops you can get for dogs, i get them for mine. They don't do them any harm at all

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

my dog is a tiny terrier and has eaten a whole easter egg including the accompanying mars bars and hes still alive :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭commuterised

We give our dog Pigs Ears and he adores them, he will chew and chew them for hours. I get so frustrated when he gets a gorgeous juicey bone and all he wants to do is bury it.
    Eat the damn bone!!

He loves to knaw on raw potatoes but his thing at the moment is Jaffa Cakes. I know how choc is supposed to kill them, but I think it's in huge quantities and no way is he getting whole packets of jaffa cakes.

My husbands parents give their dog mini milky ways, cos he's starting turning his nose up at the briscrok!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

All our dogs have loved cheese, milk or raw eggs. Our last dogs favourite treat was a game of football. Our canary, long since deceased, liked sugar and would go at great lengths to get it. If we covered up the sugar bowl she'd leave 'messages' in the deep fat fryer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

jeaney, i forgot pigs ears existed

we used to give our dogs them, it'a the most hideous looking thing in the world. (i used to get really upset when my mum bought them!)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

The local cats regard the bird that feed at our table very good...

They also seem to think the Cavies (Guinea pigs) we keep would be nice to eat, as do the Magenpies and Rooks.

But the piggies are smart and understand cage wire. They taunt the Birds and outstare the cats!
    (If you leave the ark/run lid off the piggies safely lurk inside their house)

Their (the piggies) idea of a treat is universally carrot (if they havn't had one today) and Cucumber, but they all have very differnt tastes. One likes grapes enormously and the others won't touch it. Apples can be tricky and need cut up, watch for the gums reacting badly to the fruit acid, some cavies are OK and some sensitive, all ours seem OK on apple, but again only one or two piggies really like it. Same with parsely. The great grape eater will take parsley, but not mad on it. The boar is especially mad on it.

Why since the mum and dad Cavies are Sow and Boar are the young called "pups"?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Originally posted by Thaed:
    [Our cat has so far turned up his nose to all the shop bough stuff but can be utterly bribed with a sauage or a slice of ham.
    And no doubt fresh sparrow, blue tit or guinea pig :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭DriftingRain

My pup loves cheese also. She also will do anything for "Beggin Strips"

Advertisement