Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Win2K Install problem - HELP!!!

Options
  • 28-03-2003 11:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭

I'm installing Win2K onto my PC but cannot get my the first step! When booting from the CD (or from boot floppys) it only gets as far as the "Setup is inspecting your computers hardware configuration..." screen and freezes. From here all i can do is power down the PC. I've tried wit CD and boot floppys and it happens the same for both. The PC & components are all fine for W2K. Anybody ever come by this before? There is a KB article on it, but it doesn't help much KB .

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

Open up your PC and remove everything but, the following.

RAM, AGP, CPU, Hard disk, floppy disk, CDROM.

In effect remove any and all superflous pci and ISA/EISA cards you might have in your system and then try to reinstall.

Also, turn off that ACPI error if your motherboard's BIOS supports it.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Tom

I also had a similar problem when setting up win2k. I don't remember the exact detail but when the prompt Press F6 if you need to install a third party SCSI or RAID driver pops up press the F5 button and it will continue the install for a standard pc.

Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Polonious

Tom - It doesn't even get that far mate. It freezes on "Setup is inspecting your computer's hardware configuration..."

TypeDef - Tried all of that, still no difference.

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Tom

Sorry that didn't help, I found the follwoing in another kb -
    I had same problem as you some time ago. You have to disable the onboard sound as well joystick controler.

First, in the sound options in BIOS, disable game port
    reboot.
    in the bios again, disabe the onboard audio.
    reboot
    try to install win2k.

You have to disable the game port separately because even when you disable the sound, the game port is still enabled and can cause errors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭ColinM

Another suggestion:
    Have a look in your bios settings with regard to virus protection. If there is any virus protection setting enabled this will prevent anything writing to the boot sector of the hard disk. At this point of the installation, Windows setup will try to inspect and amend the boot sector.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

...I spent a morning trying to install Win2k onto an old box for a friend of mine before I discovered that his CD-ROM drive was faulty... (symptoms were identical to yours)

Try the install with another drive?
    Gadget

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Polonious

Thanks for all the help guys. After many hours the problem boiled down to a dodgy CD-ROM and an equally dodgy on-board video card. Replaced both and it worked a treat.

Advertisement