Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is it possible to upgrade Nokia 7650 OS?

• 28-03-2003 11:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭

I was going thru Nokia, and Symbian websites, and found out that Nokia 7650 has Symbian OS ver 6.1 in it, where as later models are coming out with latest version of Symbial OS, 7.0.

Is there any way to upgrade Nokia 7650 to this new version of the OS? I am interested in it, because its offering better version of MIDP and other JCP APIs, and I was wondering if I could try coding some midlets myself (I am okay with Java part of it).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

hi - the 7650 runs a particular implementation of the Symbian OS called Series 60

the only upgrade to the 7650 so far are firmware / software updates of the particular Series 60 implementation used in the 7650, they are released by Nokia and have fixed bugs and enhanced the UI for various operators. Series 60 is tailored to individual handsets due to each having a specific hardware implementation so they would come directly from Nokia - and it should really only be done by a qualified technician with special opening tools (as the flashing points are inside the phone casing)

BrianG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭124124

Thanks DubWireless. In short, there is no way to upgrade the OS, is that right?

Thanks agian,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

hi - no, you can't upgrade from Symbian 6.x to 7 for the 7650

also bear in mind the 7650 is old (in mobile phone terms) - 16 months since it's announcement and shipping for 9 months at this stage - wouldn't expect much more to be done for it at Nokia's end apart from the odd fix

if you do want to develop for the 7650 here's a good first port of call for the Series 60 Platform:
    http://www.forum.nokia.com/main/1,35452,1_36,00.html

hth,
    BrianG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

Originally posted by DubWireless
    wouldn't expect much more to be done for it at Nokia's end apart from the odd fix

You're right there. The latest s/w version is 4.46, doubt they'll do anything more with it. Vodafone are even in the process of phasing it out of the shops.

Advertisement