Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircon and Advertising Standards

Options
  • 28-03-2003 1:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭

Got some more psychotic Eircon Junkmail today. For some reason I saw red, called 'em and tore strips off 'em, insisting that they NEVER send me any more Junkmail (hell they STILL owe me €45 Euros from cancelled subscriber service that they couldn't figure how to stop debiting for a month or so).

Thing is, I do not THINK this particular mail out is truthful enough (particularly the bit about "half" the lost customers returning) to meet advertising standards. Any ideas?:

March 2003

Dear Gullable Schmuck [not the real accountholder's name]

You've probably heard a lot of stories about who offers the best phone service and value. But what's fact and what's fiction?
    The enclosed brochure explains exactly what you're missing out on - and why more than half of those customers who left eircom have now returned. There are many reasons but a few facts illustrate how much eircom offers you:
    we have cut prices on over 70% of all calls
    with eircom options, you can save up to 40% on national daytime and evening calls
    eircom options can also save you up to 35% on international calls
    we can be contacted anytime - 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
    The decision to return to eircom is simple - and making it happen is easy too. Simply freefone 1800 566 366 or, if you prefer, fill in the Customer Authorisation Forms and return one in the enclosed freepost envelope.
    We're looking forward to hearing from you again - and to offering you the very best service and value in the Irish phone market.
    Yours sincerely

Alan Fox
    Consumer Programme Manager

I am getting VERY, VERY annoyed by this...

However, interesting to not that UTVip is NOT cited in the brichure for comparison (esatbt IS)...and internet services are not mentioned at all.

G

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭mechanima

Muck you are SO right...that's so much nicer, and more appropriate than morally dismembering whichever poor sap picks up the phone...
    G

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Jorinn

I talked to an eircom engineer today, can't remember why, convo ended up though with him saying their dsl service is waytoo expensive without me even mentioning another supplier, ended up saying that I'll just get it off utv with no cap, at which point he gave me a nasty look, seemed to rethink his opinion and then offered me some rj11 cable. Some of them clearly know and will admit their service is overpriced, next time they send one out ask to talk to Alan fox himself and give him a bollicking, you neveer know, he might be a closet esat or utv customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

Originally posted by mechanima
    ...However, interesting to not that UTVip is NOT cited in the brichure for comparison (esatbt IS)...and internet services are not mentioned at all.

G

I got the same glossy brochure the other day too! It's currently lining the inside of my waste paper bin.

And I noticed the absence of UTVip also. Could it be that they HAD to leave it out 'cos UTV ARE cheaper??? Oh, and who the hell are Euphony and Newtel????

Mike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Oh, and who the hell are Euphony and Newtel????

Pyramid pimps and a small switchless carrier that sells through independent sales people.

They have 0.1% of the market between them max.

NTL are huge compared to them, heck even Chorus is.

Mail Alan Fox afox@eircom.ie yourselves to find out why he mentioned them for comparison purposes. Dont ring Biddy on 1901, she is clueless.

Advertisement