Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What happens if no WMD are found ?

Options
  • 28-03-2003 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭

OK then one thing that has been bouncing around my head is this thought. What happens if there are no WMD found in Iraq.

According to this article ( http://www.boston.com/dailyglobe2/087/nation/US_officials_consider_return_of_inspectors+.shtml ) in the Boston Globe the US Administration are "desparate" to find these weapons but are divided on whether they will let the UN weapon inspectors back, could this because they are now nervous that they have got this badly wrong.

If that is the case then the only hope of legitimacy in having this war in the first place has been removed. Therefore Tony Blair & George Bush (& all their cohorts) should face war crime charges.

Now I do realise that in all actuallity the Anglo-American Invasion force will "find" some WMD one way or another, if you know what I mean ;)

Gandalf.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,333 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

IMO it'll be like Afghanistan again, i.e "We're going in to get Bin Laden" then it's "We're going in to get rid of the Taliban" etc. etc.
    I'm sure if the weapons aren't "found" they'll turn everyone's attention to the "reigme change" and try to convince us that was the reason they're doing it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

WMD are the casui belle for the war. I am willing to give Bush/Blair the benefit of the doubt for invasion of Iraq, as these WMD, in the hands of Saddam, would be a clear and present danger.
    Should these not be found with Iraqi engineers who designed them in tow, then this war would unjustified.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭bug

I think this is why there reasons for entering Iraq shifted from destroying WMD, suddenly to the liberation of Iraq.

I think they knew there were none there.

Interesting.. this morning I saw the Iraqi "information" minister, (and I mean that in the way I would mean, sky "news"), saying that the allies claim that various iraqi soldiers equipment found indicates the presence of Biological weapons. But as he pointed out the obvious, these pieces of equipment are standard issue to any military force.

I suppose they could and should, IMO, be tried for war crimes if they don't find any WMD, but I'm sure they will wrangle their way, away from it somehow.

these WMD, in the hands of Saddam, would be a clear and present danger.

Well for the last 13 years Saddam, is "supposed" to have had these weapons, and no danger materialised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

Well for the last 13 years Saddam, is "supposed" to have had these weapons, and no danger materialised.

Plus, they were often saying that there was a danger of him buying nuclear weapons on the black market. I for one would much prefer Saddam to buy those weapons. If someone like Bin Laden bought them, they'd be used in a city like London, whereas if Saddam bought them, he'd keep them and make sure everyone knew he had them to give him more power in the region. Selling them on to others gives no benefit to Saddam, so it is not likely to happen, parading them down main street Bagdad and showing the world that Iraq is now a member of the nuclear club would give Saddam a major benefit, even if he only had a few such weapons (he could always exagerate).

• Advertisement

Prior to this current invasion, i viewed the chance of Saddam attacking the US or its allies, as very slim. However now that the US have chased Saddam down, and violated the borders of Iraq, they've made themseves a real enemy. Now they can't back away, since Saddam has a valid, and just cause to hold grievence against the US.

In the case of the WMD's, Saddam, would probably act like the US. He's say that they're for defense of his nation, and would be used solely if they were under threat. Sound familiar?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kell

I think, to answer the original question posted, that SFA will happen if they fail to find WMD's the same as they have said that the efforts of the military will continue whether the capture/kill Saddam.

For me, this raises very big questions over the validity of the war (which I dont support) and should raise very large questions for anyone out there who supports the war. I honestly feel that Iraq poses absolutely no threat to any country other than those on it's own borders. Their weapons simply dont have the range.

Lets face it, if Iraq went to war with Iran tomorrow with no US, UK or UN invlovement who would give a flying fúck? How many wars are ongoing in the world (some backed by the US) that we dont get to hear about every five minutes on Sky & CNN? In my mind, anyone who supports the current war has been the victim of a highly intelligent and subversive propaganda machine hell bent on convincing the world that Saddam is the devil incarnate.

The other post about the war over "oil currency" is definitely worth a read in all of this.

K-

I think, to answer the original question posted, that SFA will happen if they fail to find WMD's the same as they have said that the efforts of the military will continue whether the capture/kill Saddam.

I agree, but everyone should realise that the US are going to continue their campaign against "terror". they're going to use Iraq as a springboard to future conquests. What line will they use if they want to invade Iran? Why, that saddam, is hiding there, of course.... or some other crappy excuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭dougal

If no WMD are found then the blame for this war lies solely at Saddams door.
    If he had given proper documentation and proof to the weapons inspectors that he had destroyed all previously known supplies of chemicals and also given them full co-operation in their inspections this could have been avoided.

The fact that the weapons inspectors do not know if Iraq have WMD or not is down to Saddam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

Regardless as to the "finding" or otherwise of WMD, the blame for this war lies solely at the feet of the US. The inspectors seemed happy enough with Saddam, and figured it would only be a matter of months to finish the job. Yes, he could have done better, but he didn't have to, he was doing enough to keep the inspectors happy, and satisfy resolution 1441. The inspectors were confirming Iraqi claims not to have any, and had discredited US claims to the contrary when the US started the war. Even if WMD are found, it will still be the US who is to blame for this war as had the inspectors been allowed to finish the job that the UNSC unanimously gave them, those weapons would have been dismantled by peaceful means (based on the past record).

• Advertisement
Advertisement