Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[article] Intresting history lesson

Options

Comments

Yikes. Too many comparisons could be made from this. I'm not going to start, simply because its too dodgy a subject. Besides any criticism of the US along these lines will spawn a mini-thread on anti-americanism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭bug

I got shivers reading that- scary

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Yikes. Too many comparisons could be made from this. I'm not going to start, simply because its too dodgy a subject. Besides any criticism of the US along these lines will spawn a mini-thread on anti-americanism.

It's very un-American not to speak out on your beliefs you know.

heh

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭Éomer of Rohan

There are very many likenesses in that story and I could only detect one problem; Hitler organised the Reichstag fire - the Dutch Communist was thought to be mentally sick and was thus persuaded. I actually agree that some elements of the German police were involved in the fire - the evidence suggests so and I will see if I can find the online literary reference that I have at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,580 ✭✭✭✭Sand

We are the "true people," he suggested, the only ones worthy of our nation's concern; if bombs fall on others, or human rights are violated in other nations and it makes our lives better, it's of little concern to us.

As true now as it ever was for some.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Originally posted by Sand
    As true now as it ever was for some.

Very true.

I always get the impression that the "humanity" of the attacks in any war are basically kept in and around the minimum level of human indecency that the war-room strategists calculate will be accepted by the masses, allowing for whatever degree of influence they have with the media.

Thus, in oppressive regimes with little or no tulry free press, we tend to see acts which we (in our "more civilised" world) class as barbaric, but which in their own nations are quite possibly seen as "better than they deserve" by supporters of the war.

Similarly, the tactics used by the "more humanitarian" west strike me as being basically decided around "what can we sell to the public", more than "what is truly acceptable".

jc

Advertisement